3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Homemade Turkey Guillotine ?  (Read 1800 times)

Offline always89

• Trad Bowhunter
Homemade Turkey Guillotine ?
« on: February 23, 2007, 07:21:00 AM »
What do you guys think? I like the concept of these heads because it does seem that injured turkeys will be few and far between. A miss is a Miss with these. Here are some that I made up last night. .38 shell and a bandsaw blade.

Offline Txjourneyman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Homemade Turkey Guillotine ?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 07:43:00 AM »
What is it those Guiness guys say?  Oh yeah...Brilliant!   How do they fly?

Offline always89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 07:47:00 AM »
Dunno yet Txjournyman. I was really careful to make sure everything was even. Im guessing they will fly like a handful of acorns.....all over the place! At least initially. Im sure theres gonna be a lot of tuning of the blades though.

Offline Txjourneyman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 07:56:00 AM »
Well let me know how they work out! I may have to get out in the shop this weekend and make some up!

Offline southernarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 10:25:00 AM »
Those look cool,I have been thinking about trying something kinda like that.I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.

How did you attach the blades,braze,glue?Are there 2 blades bent to shape,or 4 separate blades?
"We do this for fun, but we aren't playing"

Offline Jaeger

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 10:40:00 AM »
That is cool! I am fairly certain that the store bought versions are designed to be used with Arrow Dynamics tapered carbons. (That's how they sell them at the local Cabelas)
You might try some tapered wood shafts for these if parallel shafts give you trouble.
Are you going to sharpen the edges?
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of PA

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 10:43:00 AM »
You will need these plastic pieces to put over the blades to make them fly accurately. These will probably fly like the hand of acorn you mentioned!

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 10:46:00 AM »
yep...get small diameter plastic straws and cut pieces to fit over the forward side fo the blades (those better be sharp on the leading edge) as they have to cut the plastic on their way through the turkey.

The original product works great..flies like nobody's business....I know, I didn't believe it either.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 11:25:00 AM »
Sharp edges or not, does trad gear have enough kinetic energy to do the job as with more modern equipment?
All advertising with these broadheads is with compound, doubtful trad gear will work.
75fps makes a great deal of difference with this type of broadhead.
Let us know.
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline always89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 11:44:00 AM »
Southern Archer,
center braze, and then 2 ton poxy. 2 seperate pieces, both 4 inches long. Groved the front of one, the back of the other so they fit together in the center, while staying flush.

Jaeger, Ill do that. Thanks!And I will be sharping them

Kingstaken, Im hoping that the lack of the excessive speed, and the added weight of traditional gear will be the factor that helps these to fly a little better than with a compound.

Gonna do a little testing tonight and will post any results. Im going to use turkey necks of all things!

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 12:15:00 PM »
I think you should have put the saw edge forward on at least one to test it that way. But aside from that Great iead and execution of same.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 06:58:00 PM »
I am thinking that heavier arrows, slower speed and big feathers just may allow you to shoot these without the plastic guides.  Won't know till you try.  Looks like fun.  If you worry about them going fast enough, try this,   take out your pocket knife and hold up your thumb (you know where I am going with this...it works..trust me on this one).  I have found that razor sharp is not a prerequisite when doing this exercise, just reasonably sharp.  That said, sharper is probably even better.
ChuckC

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2007, 08:13:00 PM »
kingstaken, i chopped the head off a turkey with one of the commercially made ones with absolutely no problem at all. I feel certain, if these are sharp they will do the same thing. You don't aim for the body- you chop off the head/neck...hence the name, Guillotine.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2007, 08:26:00 PM »
Do you think it would work using a steel 100 grain screw in broadhead adapter or even a aluminum one?

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2007, 08:29:00 PM »
Robert I bet that would really do the trick for those, and stick on a AD tapered full length carbon. I think he could 24 hour slow cure epoxy that steel adapter in there by just filling the brass pc half full and drop that adapter in there.

don't you reckon?

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2007, 09:32:00 PM »
ChuckC, I think the reason you need to use the straws is to keep the blades from acting like wings. With the straws it might slow it down a little, but it won't "plane" as bad as without them.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2007, 09:43:00 PM »
Im looking forward to hearing how they fly...nice work!
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Mudfeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2007, 10:12:00 PM »
You need a shaft with some side strength. Most BHs don't need the side stength... they just need to drive a BH deep. This is a totally different force than what we normally need.

You will need to put straws on the blades. It neutrilizes the force of the blades against the wind.
"Dad, you and me are bow shooting huntin buddies OK?"

My son Kasey- age 5...Jan 8, 2007

Keith Bruner

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2007, 04:06:00 PM »
Nothing is new in archery/bowhunting. These Lancer heads were done in the early 1960s. The ferrule is a .357 case inside of a cut-down 30-30 case. The blades are hacksaw blades, cutting edge forward and then ground. These weigh over 300 gr.  

Here's a homemade from Texas that the guy made for duck hunting. A 9mm case on the front, and he used packing/banding strap for the blades. I bent the two blade corners so it would fit in my display case.

Offline Frontloader

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2007, 07:28:00 PM »
I think the slanted blades would slice and the straight blades will chop.

Which takes less energy to make a deep cut on the neck as it goes by?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©