3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: trad is becoming more popular with the compound guys!  (Read 883 times)

Offline deermaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
trad is becoming more popular with the compound guys!
« on: August 04, 2008, 02:05:00 PM »
just something i have noticed in the last year or two, big tv shows and videos who were all compound, are begining to see the light.  in realtree monster bucks 15, michael waddell took a great buck with a hoyt gamemaster and seemd to have loved it.  also on the realtree team, travis "t bone" turner took a great buck with a hoyt, and his picture was in a fairly recent trad bowhunter mag.  primos truth bowhunting 3 had to archers who challenged each other to see who could take the first buck with black widow recurves.  in the last dreamseason tv series, an excellent hunter took several huge bucks using a hoyt tiberon.  while we may not agree with some things on tv shows, ya gotta admit, seeing younger hunters who are taking great bucks and having a blast doing it can do nothing but good for trad bowhunting.  they seem to have a blast, and thats the reason we do it...its fun.  just though it was great to see some big names find the light!  what do yall think?
"I dont want my country to do anything for me, I want to do everything I can do for my country"~~~Ted Nugent

Offline SouthMDShooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: trad is becoming more popular with the compound guys!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 02:35:00 PM »
A trad bow on tv...... Ill watch
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
- Robert Frost

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 02:35:00 PM »
i love how they seem sooo surprised that a traditional bow will actually work.
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline deermaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 03:00:00 PM »
widow eater, yea, its awsome.  the look says "it hit em AND killedem?"  while at the same time, the look says this is the coolest thing i have ever done.
"I dont want my country to do anything for me, I want to do everything I can do for my country"~~~Ted Nugent

Offline J. Adams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 03:19:00 PM »
I applaud them for switching to trad gear and for challenging themselves with equipment that doesn't have the latest whiz-bang attachments.  

I often wonder, though, are the big hosts on TV switching to trad gear because it garners ratings and is "chic" amongst their fraternity of fellow TV hunters?
TGMM Family of the Bow

"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 03:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by J. Adams:

I often wonder, though, are the big hosts on TV switching to trad gear because it garners ratings and is "chic" amongst their fraternity of fellow TV hunters?
Sorry, but I believe it is the sponsorship $$$$$$ that drives any of this......
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline EASTERNARCHER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 03:35:00 PM »
Well I don't care, so long as there is more trad archery on the shows...MAkes for good exposure.

Also, in our club, I've seen at least 4 compound shooters go out and buy recurves...Why? Cuz they say they saw how much fun we were having with it and wanted to try it. They still use the compounds, but always pull out the recurves for a bit sometime in the evening shoot.
ARCHER

Offline J. Adams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 03:43:00 PM »
BobW:  you are probably right. I didn't think about the corporate sponsors.

For the sake of their quarry, I just hope that they put in the time and dedication to become proficient (and deadly) with their trad gear.  I don't want to see Mr or Mrs TV Host wound an animal and then blame it on their trad gear. "... Geez folks, if I'd only had my 350fps X-Brand compound, I would have really smoked that elk... Stay tuned for a word from our sponsors."
TGMM Family of the Bow

"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 07:53:00 PM »
There goes the neighborhood  :p  ...Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 08:13:00 PM »
many of the die hard compound shooters i have met are completely open to traditional gear, they simply do not choose to use it.

Many of them even own a recurve or longbow or two and shoot them enough to hit what their looking at.  Most of these guys that I know are also big into 3D and want the precision accuracy that comes with aiming systems.

Sorry a little off topic.  Just observations of some of my friends.  

Nonetheless it is good that there is more trad exposure.  Otherwise its just Tred Barta.
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 08:17:00 PM »
Hoyt?  Don't those folks also make compounds?  They see a market and they're going to hawk whatever they have.  I don't watch hunting programs anymore.  Too many of them are phony and aim mainly to sell products.  IMO, not good images for trad bows to be associated with.

Offline Chad Panattoni

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 08:43:00 PM »
trad bowhunting is as Pure as it gets.Gave my old wheel bow to my newbe hunter buddy.
Psalm 18: I love You,Lord,my Strength

Offline Shovelbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 08:59:00 PM »
Hoyt? Don't those folks also make compounds? They see a market and they're going to hawk whatever they have.

Good grief, Hoyt was making recurves before compounds.
No matter what type of bow is shot, we're all archers.

Offline Pete Patterson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 09:02:00 PM »
New Age Outdoors is a show on the MAN (Maximum Adventure Network) Channel whose host uses a trad bow and his co-host wife uses a compound.  He is Tim Stickland former Olympic Archery coach (I think). Last show saw him in New Zealand taking a Red Stag.
....and lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the age. Matt 28:20

Offline upatree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 09:23:00 PM »
Well, here's my story.  I have been a compound shooter for the past 12 years.  I watched a video 13 years ago and watched a guy shoot a few deer with a compound bow.  I thought that was the coolest thing and saved my money and bought a Darton 60MX.
2 1/2 years ago, I was hunting in Illinois and met 2 great guys, Mike Misch and Gary Olsen.  They were hunting with traditional gear and let me shoot there bows.  I was hooked!  I once again saved some money and bought a recurve.

My point is dont' give someone a hard time if there torn between compound and trad gear.  I never shot a bow as a kid and didn't have anyone to show me what to do.  If a young kid or anyone for that matter watches a celeberty use trad gear for a hunt and find themselves interested, it's all worth it.
Treat others as you would want to be treated.

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 09:29:00 PM »
Hey I still shoot my wheels; I like all aspects of archery. But my recurve always puts a smile of my face. Its what I cut my archery teeth on, so I think its just natural that i gravitate back to my roots.

LOL

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 09:56:00 PM »
I guess I think that can only be a good thing.  If they are using trad gear as a way of making things more challenging, that is what this is all about.  And a lot more fun to boot!  The exposure for traditional archery is great!

That said, the equipment doesn't make or break a bowhunter in my book.  I have some very good friends that I still share camps with that hunt with compounds.  They are good hunters and ethical sportman, and that is all that matters to me.  And although I don't watch many hunting shows, I would bet there are some TV celebrities that are good, and others that aren't.  Putting a recurve or longbow in the hands of the jerks won't automatically make them any better.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Big_Al

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 10:06:00 PM »
I think that as compounds become more and more accurate, the fun factor decreases inversely as the "gadget factor" increases.  For me compounds just weren't fun anymore.  The last three years I've been shooting trad gear, and I still fell like I did when I was 13 and got my first compound bow.
"And that, my friends, is the minority vote."  -Bill the Butcher

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2008, 10:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by Van/TX:
There goes the neighborhood   :p   ...Van
:mad:   I'm with you Van.
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2008, 02:31:00 PM »
What neighborhood?  What purity?  What bunk.

I am solidly with Whip on this.  It is all good.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©