3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pinching the nock  (Read 440 times)

Offline zinndl

• Trad Bowhunter
Pinching the nock
« on: August 04, 2008, 03:59:00 PM »
I shoot split finger and had to switch from a glove to using a tab with the spacer in order to keep from pinching the nock; It was starting to make my index finger so sore and calloused that I could not shoot  :eek:   The tab is fine but I would like to be able to use a glove again. Any suggestions to avoid pinching the nock while still using a glove? My bow is 66" and my draw is 26 so I don't think that the bow is too short.
Psalm 19:1
The heavens declare the glory of God;and the firmament showeth his handiwork

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pinching the nock
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 05:20:00 PM »
I know I pinch the nock a bit, not my index finger but my pointing finger gets calloused. Even when I know my hand and fingers are relaxed and my arm is in control (not torquing the string)I still get that callous. Just gives me something to nip off with a pair of scissors.

Love a tab, do not like a glove, so I put up with the callous!

I am no help sorry, sure someone on here has an answer.

J

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 05:46:00 PM »
Put on a bandaid or wrap it with duct tape and keep on shooting.  That's what I did a few years ago with your problem happened to me.  It went away after a short time.
Lon Scott

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 06:56:00 PM »
For me it was an unconscious gripping of the arrow between my fingers. My fingers would get sore and calloused. You just have to consciously NOT squeeze the arrow nock, and the problem will go away. You know that the arrow won't come off the string, you just have to convince your fingers!
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 07:05:00 PM »
ihave a 26" draw as well but i use a 58" longbow but i dont get finger pinch, just dont squeeze the nock it will go away.if it dont just keep using the finger tab until it does then use ya glove again.  :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline DBerrard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 07:10:00 PM »
For what it's worth..you're not alone. My pointer finger almost looks broken due to the odd shape the callous gave it  :D

You tell your fingers to stop and I'll try the same..some tape or bandaid dont sound like a bad idea either though eh  :)
David

~Kanati Klassic~ 50@26"

Offline TXRED

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 11:31:00 PM »
Neet felt spacer tab with finger fenders & concentrating on keeping my elbow DOWN did it for me.  :archer:
John
    Too young for Medicare,
    Too old for women to care

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 06:31:00 AM »
I think you have too much of the string weight pulling with your index finger causing the pinch.  Try to use primarily your middle finger to do the pulling and your other fingers are there helping a little but more providing support to keep from torquing the string.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline JSimon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 09:40:00 AM »
Have you tried to shoot 3 fingers under? You may find that you like that better. 3 under has been pretty much the only way I've ever shot so I can't personally compare the two, but I have heard people say that they get a cleaner release shooting 3 under.

Offline Greg Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 05:16:00 PM »
I'm inclined to agree with madness522.  I use a single thickness cordovan tab with no spacer and have no problem with callouses.  When I first started using this tab I had to make a conscious effort to space my fingers a little bit to keep from pinching the nock, but Brunner assured me in the Screaming Eagle catalog that it wasn't a problem and I believed him. I also make sure I use a deep hook to keep my hand as relaxed as possible.
And in the end of our exploring we shall return to the place where we started and know that place for the first time.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 04:32:00 PM »
For 20 years I'd have a really soar indez finger till I got a good callus. went through many can't pinch type tabs and modified gloves.(added can'y pinch spacer)

On a Texas hog hunt my shooting went farther south on the practice range. My friend noticed I had a actual bend in my wood arrow at full draw. It was bent down in the middle.
Turned out I had my elbow way too high and it was torqing the string, caucing all kinds of problem including pain.

Since i've been concious of my elbow height, no more callus and shooting a regular glove the last 5 years.
Might not help you but check it out.
Ron
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 08:06:00 AM »
I have placed a topic on here that describes how I fixed this problem. You might want to look at that topic. Title is "finger pinch, problem solved."
John

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©