3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Traditional archers in Texas  (Read 540 times)

Offline skippy1

• Trad Bowhunter
Traditional archers in Texas
« on: August 04, 2008, 08:11:00 PM »
Hello everyone,  I have just recently moved to Del Rio, TX and was wondering if there were any traditional archers in this part of the state.

Ryan

Offline TXRED

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Traditional archers in Texas
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 08:31:00 AM »
Ryan,I don't recall hearing from anyone in the Del Rio area,but Littlefeather of 7th Age Bowhunting has hunting rights on a ranch not too far from you.You may be the lone lobo,podnuh.
John
    Too young for Medicare,
    Too old for women to care

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 08:34:00 AM »
skippy1:

I'm on the far side of the State from you, probably 400 miles away.  Don't know if you are aware or not but there is a great "free" bow only area just outside of Del Rio for hunting (can't remember the name).  I went there several years ago with a buddy and saw several deer.

Best of luck.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline sidebuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 08:47:00 AM »
I am San Antonio about 140 miles from you.  Ulvalde is close to you and the next town is Sabinal.  Palmer's bow shop is  in Sabinal

Offline Bob G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 06:29:00 PM »
Welcome to the HEAT. I am just down the road in Laredo. If you are ever in the area let me hear from you and we can "fling a few " arrows.
"No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" T. Roosevelt

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 06:37:00 PM »
long ways away, over here in the north east.  easy for us texas shooters to live in the same state and be a day or more drive away. welcome
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline yleecoyote23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 06:46:00 PM »
There's a BUNCH of us up here in San Angelo. Bout 150 miles north of ya.....
In the beautiful Davis Mountains and lovin' every minute - Danny

Offline texbow2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 06:57:00 PM »
live in Georgetown........where the rain has missed so far today  :(

Offline cajuntec

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 09:47:00 PM »
Ryan,
I'm in San Antonio also - about 2 1/2 hours away from you according to Mapquest - but if you find somewhere that we can both drive to, I'd like to get together and shoot with another trad shooter from the boards.
All the best,
Glenn
If at first you don't succeed.... buy newer / better equipment!

Greywolf Custom Longbow  
Chek-Mate Custom Hunter 56 Recurve

Offline skippy1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 10:47:00 PM »
thanks for all of the replys guys.  I am a long way from home, but that is what happens when you join the border patrol. haha.  The hunt area is called Amistad Recreation area.  Its a nice place, except I almost got shot by some compound hunters chasing mouflon last year.  :mad:  I am kind of new to traditional archery.  I have taken a couple deer, but I still dont think that my equipment is shooting good at all...but I dont know what else to do with it.  I would love to get with some of you guys from San Antonio(yleecoyote23, cajuntec) or from laredo (bob G)and shoot a little. Well, just about anyone in texas actually haha.  For what its worth, my e-mail is: [email protected]

Thanks
Ryan

Offline Texas Tinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 12:17:00 AM »
Just outside of "Big D" here...we're so far apart that I'd be in another State if we were anywhere else in the country.  :)

You're in some good bowhunting country there. Hill Country just to the north, Golden Triangle just to the south. Heck, one of my favorite bowhunting trips was to Carta Valley, TX just outside of Del Rio.

Welcome to Texas, brother.

Offline Gerardo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 03:00:00 AM »
I am in Monterrey, Mexico , there are several guys here that shoot traditional only. We travel pretty often to the states to hunt. actually I am going to del rio , on the last weekend of august to hunt some hogs and a muflon. I am really interested in bowfishing and have never done it, I have heared of a guy that takes you close to laredo  www.extremebowfishing.com  , if anyone is interested maybe we can organize a trip

I am two hours from laredo
Gerardo Rodriguez

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 07:46:00 AM »
Southeast Texas for me. Just 35 miles northwest of downtown Houston.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline longarrow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 08:11:00 AM »
Welcome!
I'm here in Copperas Cove, Centeral part, just north of Austin! Use to Hunt on the Whitehead Ranch North of you.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Live a Good Life! And in the end, it's not the number of years in your life...it's the LIFE in your years!!!

Offline skippy1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 11:35:00 AM »
Would anyone be interested/willing to meet up, and do a little shooting?  Mabye help me work out some of my issues with my equipment.  Like I said, I am new to traditional archery.

Ryan

Offline cajuntec

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 12:37:00 PM »
Count me in - but I won't be available until September.  Just let me know.
All the best,
Glenn
If at first you don't succeed.... buy newer / better equipment!

Greywolf Custom Longbow  
Chek-Mate Custom Hunter 56 Recurve

Offline JPaul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 01:55:00 PM »
Hey longarrow, ya know any Fundabergs(sp?). Their Whiteheads, and a part of the ranch. Used to go down there piddling around and skiing on devels river.
Paul Schwander

Offline yleecoyote23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 06:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by skippy1:
Would anyone be interested/willing to meet up, and do a little shooting?  Mabye help me work out some of my issues with my equipment.  Like I said, I am new to traditional archery.

Ryan
Yep, it would be fun. (BTW, I am in San "Angelo", not San "Antonio"   :D  ) I'm only a couple hours up the road from you....

If you can get a weekend set up to shoot, be sure and let me know, or if you can make it up here sometime, we can go chase rabbits out at the lake or something....
In the beautiful Davis Mountains and lovin' every minute - Danny

Offline skippy1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 06:49:00 PM »
cajuntec and yleecoyote23, thanks for your willingness to help.  I would like to take you both up on it and make some new friends.  I should be available around the 3rd week of august.  Mabye we can trade personal e-mails and start setting up some plans.  guess i'll start off: [email protected]

Ryan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©