3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: hybrid bows  (Read 1517 times)

Offline Weekend Warrior

• Trad Bowhunter
hybrid bows
« on: January 01, 2007, 09:21:00 PM »
Some advanages and disadvanages

What lengths can you get them in?
Who makes them ??

I don't know alot about them..  :help:  
I like my recurve but getting the itch to shoot my longbow...

Offline Stew

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: hybrid bows
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 09:36:00 PM »
Advantages, They are smooth and quiet. Little to zerohand shock and they are very pretty. You can get them from 58 to 72 inches. Multiple bowyers make them. We carry Hybrids from Ancient Spirits, Mon River, lake valley, Northern Mist, Maddog, and Timberhawk.

Here's a few of my favorites:

Offline Oscar-eleven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 09:54:00 PM »
Check the sponsor list or do a search. Just about everyone that makes bows is making one. They're quick, accurate and and light in the hand. I really like them. I haven't run into any disadvantages yet but there must be some, lol. I think I've seen them as short as 50", Jack Kempf maybe.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 09:57:00 PM »
The biggest disadvantage is everyone is figuring out how good they are so waiting lists on the best keep growing! LOL
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Alex.B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 10:06:00 PM »
and so it goes...the advance of the hybrid, and the fleecing of the longbow  :)    :)  
no, seriously, the longbow is as good a shooter as the "hybrid", but you have to work at it a bit more, and I personally don't mind
tgmm, tanj, compton, bha

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 10:43:00 PM »
I hear this question a lot. There are some very evolved longbow designs, some show reflex when they are strung, which gives them the "hybrid" look, and others do not.

Performance and shooting qualities cannot be predicted by how a bow looks when strung or unstrung. I know of longbows that show no reflex when strung but can shoot faster than some that do show reflex. And anyway, how fast is fast enough? For some 150 fps is plenty fast.

There are several ways to speed up a longbow that do not entail radical reflex, so trying to define what a hybrid longbow is can be difficult, if not impossible.

Offline joeare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 12:34:00 PM »
I have a hybrid from Jim Neaves (Centaur) and though it is only 60" it is smooth up to 31", exceptionally fast with little handshock. My brother's Lightning Hunter is one of the best bows I have ever shot because it has zero point zero handshock and is at least as fast as my Centaur. The disadvantage is that both are not allowed for 3D tournament shooting because they still hold a reflex when they are strung (IFAA rules).

@Stew: Very nice bows but especially the first one is really an exceptional awesome looking longbow. Who is the bowyer?

Thanks,
Joe

Offline Stew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 12:56:00 PM »
joeare,

The first two bows are Lake Valley Longbows. We carry his line in our traditional archery shop just north of Pittsburgh.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 03:20:00 PM »
I love my Mikuta longbow!!!!!

It has a big recurve style grip with a thumb rest for positive hand placement EVERY time,it makes it very easy to shoot with absolutly NO hand-shock,it's FAST and SILENT!!!!!

Check out Joe Skipp's post and pictures    :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 05:37:00 PM »
I like my hybrids so much I sold my recurves.If you want to check out the new one I received Saturday check my thread on page two Hornes brushbow arrival bentpole and bucky newyears eve day the morning.Thats right woodchucker thats what sold me on the hornes brushbow the slot on the riser every time I pick up that bow my hand goes in the same spot.Are they accurate? Check out the pics of the first couple of groups I shot I'm sold!

Offline Jaz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2007, 09:15:00 PM »
Fedora Xcellerator

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©