3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ground Hunting  (Read 642 times)

Offline carlr2s

• Trad Bowhunter
Ground Hunting
« on: August 05, 2008, 02:13:00 AM »
I would like to here from some of you that hunt whitetails at ground level. What is your technic and success rate? I'm gearing up for it. I'll give her a go but I think I'll be eating my tag by winter. Carl

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ground Hunting
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 02:47:00 AM »
Think positive Carl, but most of all put the thought into it. Stay downwind of bedding areas, keep your nose into the wind. Conceal your movements whenever\\however possible. Be a shadow and always in them. Put yourself in the RIGHT spot and opportunity will come. As long as you sense the prey, before it does you.

:campfire:

Offline carlr2s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 03:14:00 AM »
Thanks hormoan. I found a thread on this subject in the archives. Is that picture of you with a deer you shot off the ground?

Offline Doug in MI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 08:30:00 AM »
I have taken all but one of my deer from the ground. Learn to listen more for sounds of deer comming in and move your eyes instead of your head if you can. Keep movement to a minimum. Also a good comfortable tree seat is a must for me and a foam pad to kneel or sit on is nice also. I often think of it as playing a game of hide and seek with the deer just make sure the hiding spot gives you enough freedom of movement to shoot and keeping the wind in your favor.
I also camo up my face and hands and have had good luck with Ghilie and leafy suits breaking up my outline.
Team Hoots
Lil Hoot 55#@27
Black Widow SAIII 55#@27

Offline The Baron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 09:28:00 AM »
Don't go into the woods with a defeated attitude!  Lots of guys kill deer from the ground... and plenty of them.  I will be doing it that was this year (my first year with a bow).  I don't like heights, so I'm going to set up a couple of roomy groundblinds for use in different wind directions, and spend a little time looking for my first archery deer!  I can't relate much for deer hunting (not much experience) but I do a lot of turkey hunting.  I can tell you there is a lot to be said for a positive attitude.    A positive attitude keeps you in the woods longer and that equates to success.  Have faith!
You can't be a leader of you don't know where you're going.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 09:40:00 AM »
Hopefully this works.  I did a search for ground hunting tips and found this post.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=051649#000000

There are some good ideas there.

-Charlie

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 09:54:00 AM »
I likethe ground, my success rate?? killed a few, for the opportunities presented? I think you have to be super carefull of you face and hands, keep em covered. I try to spend all day in the woods, time on the ground is the only way to kll em from the ground (if thaty makes sense?).

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 10:03:00 AM »
I would add a couple things;

First, If you are sitting still and hunting from a brush blind, make sure you scrape all the leaves away from your feet.

Second, if possible, try to have at least one or two medium to big size trees between you and where you epect the deer to show up.  That way you can draw while their head is on the other side of the tree and they can't see you.

Third, If you can find a place where a field cuts squarely (like a block) into a stand of woods.  The back corners of those fields are excellent places to set up ambush points.  Often deer won't go through the middle of a field in daylight, they will skirt the back edges and walk right in front of you. I have seen dozens of deer with this particular technique.

Fourth, if you are sitting near a creek or ditch that the deer have to cross, listen carefully.  I have heard the deer jump from one side to the other before seeing them.

Finally, it is flat out the simplest way to hunt because there is next to no set-up, you can move if the wind changes, you make less noise, easier to go to the bathroom and if one spot isn't producing you just move without all the hasle of having to move a stand.

You will get busted sometimes, but I bet you get more close encounters than you would expect. I think you will fill your tag. Even if you just get some "close encounters" it will be so addicting you won't want to go back up in the trees.

Good luck,
Charlie

Offline SouthMDShooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 10:42:00 AM »
Heres the link to the story and picture of a nice buck I got last year off the ground  if your intrested.    Story
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
- Robert Frost

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 12:30:00 PM »
No Carl that one was shot from a tree stand. But a lot of others, I have taken from the ground. So you can do it. Putting yourself in the RIGHT spot is the biggest key, be it on the ground or in a tree stand. Gillie suits are awesome for hunting on the ground. And are a very good investment for the ground hunter. And most often less money than a quality tree stand.

Offline Can Hahaka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 12:38:00 PM »
Carl,

Last year was my first really concentrated effort at ground hunting - my tag tasted good - BUT even better was the experiences that I came away with. I should have had deer on two separate occasions. Both were botched by me at less than 8 yards.
You will come away with a new experience when you get within 8 yards of a buck and play the stare down game.
Mississippi Lake Longbow 55#@28"
Woodcraft Equip. 30#@28"
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

GENESIS 27:3 - Now therefore, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow and go out to the field and take me some venison.

Offline john1271

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 12:58:00 PM »
i hunt from a hub style blind with shoot through nets ,i can shoot a longbow or recurve out of it an its big enough 3 people can get into it, keeps your sent down and the deer cant see in ,i sit in a camping chair have my bow ready for anything that comes out,keeps the cold wind off of you and keeps you dry..
black creek banshe 41#@28 60"god bless and have a red letter day...

Offline john1271

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 01:03:00 PM »
hey can hahaka ,i know what you mean ,i started about 6 years ago and i had some deer 10 yards from me ( just siiting on ground with a camo net strung out ) i started shakeing so bad that the deer heard my teeth and the doe blew 10 feet from me scared me to death  :scared:  and i loved it!!!  :bigsmyl:  ,now thats all i do is hunt from the ground.
black creek banshe 41#@28 60"god bless and have a red letter day...

Offline longbawl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 01:12:00 PM »
Gillie suits are nice but shoot with one on. You will need to trim them. A good comfortable light seat is nice.I dont like to hunt food sources or staging areas. If your on the ground close to deer for very long you will get busted. Back off these places on the trails. Look for a ditch, log, fence or something on the trail that  will take the deers attention. A lot of times they will pause just before they cross.It is also important how you set up. If your right handed set up so the trail is on your left side.Also i like to face in the direction i think they will come. And you need to play the wind. And most important dont give up and stay in the woods. Hunt the thick stuff

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 07:25:00 PM »
I hunt big woods along the Appalachian trail. It is a lot of hard wood forest, beaver swamps, oak flats and steep terrain as well. You have to put in some time to locate deer, where they move, feed etc.  I like setting up so deer will pass by and then I can draw with less chance of getting busted and usually get a nice broadside or 1/4ing away shot. You don't always need a lot of cover or camo, just enough to break up your form. I shot a deer from this set up only shortly after I took this pic.

I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline carlr2s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 01:56:00 AM »
Great story Curtis, and great picture Jerry. Thanks to all for your tips and encouragement.Hey, I like this tradgang.

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 10:05:00 AM »
It's just hunting. No special mystery to it.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=051860
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline carlr2s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 01:39:00 PM »
Great story John. All I'd be thinking is,"I can't believe this."

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 02:26:00 PM »
I've killed several from the ground rather than a tree stand. To me its easier to play the wind on the ground. When your in a stand and the wind shifts, you hunt whats coming the other way.  :bigsmyl:
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline 3blades

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 09:25:00 PM »
Well I am ether lucky or good because last year was my first year hunting anything and I ground hunted. After two months of perfecting my stalking and sneaking around I harvested my first deer with an old bear white tail hunter of the mid eighties variety. I for one can't stand to wait around for something to come to me as I feel the need to go after it.But the biggest reason to be honest is that the wify wouldn't support me buying a tree stand and sitting up high in it. Yeah wipped husband but when mommas not happy no body is happy.    :cool:
60's Bear Cub    45#@28"
Samick Stingray  50#@28"
Hickory self bow 55#@28"
HH Big 5 Longbow 65#@28"
Bears paw T/D LB 75#@28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©