3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunt Financing?  (Read 3444 times)

Offline wifishkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunt Financing?
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2007, 03:50:00 PM »
Am I the only one who feels bad about taking the money from my main job for hunting?  I guess I feel like that money is better saved for retirement.  I also never have second thoughts about where I spend the extra cash from the side jobs.  Just wondering if im alone on this lol.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2007, 04:50:00 PM »
Not any more...I have had a couple of weird near death experiences.  If you wait till you retire, you aren't going to be doing much hunting  ;)    When I am old and gray, I may be broke, but I'll have some good memories   :D  

Please don't take this to mean I don't take care of my family...it is just the corners I cut to pay for the things I want to do.

Offline kojac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2007, 05:00:00 PM »
I have biggie's wife put money in "my" account but...sshh!!.....don't tell my wife  :eek:

I have a buddy that says, "it takes a big man to get his wife a second job"
Brian

"Hunting...is about the Sights, Sounds, Smells, and  the Hunted...All the hunter has to do is show up"

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2007, 05:06:00 PM »
I fired my wife; and now I am single. I moved to where I hunt. I get extra gas money by every other year letting my german wirehairs produce a litter of pups. I have six in the other room right now- which seems like a better deal than the stock market today   :scared:  

:campfire:    :archer:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Benha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2007, 05:21:00 PM »
In order for me to go on all the hunts I want my wife had to go to work and when that still wasn't enough I had to get a job! LOL

Offline Louutah

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2007, 07:06:00 PM »
I have a golfing buddy who buys a new driver and irons almost every year and finances his "habit" by donating plasma (similar, I am told to donating blood), $30.00 a pop twice a week during his lunch hour all winter, gets him set up every year.  He feels he is contributing something and getting something in return for his efforts.
Shrew SS Gold 51#@28
Bear Montana 60#@28

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2007, 08:26:00 PM »
I do what adeeden does, we have a credit union at work, I opened a account without a debit card, I have $100 a month direct deposited in it and and when (if)I get a raise, that money goes in there as well. And any extra I may get from selling stuff goes in there. it is my hunt fund account and with the approval of my wife. But as others I am a warehouse worker and a poor cracker, and I have had to rob my account for family crisis but only as a last resort. You dont miss the money if you never have it in your hands. works great for me.
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline wifishkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2007, 11:21:00 AM »
ttt this is a good thread

Offline David Hewitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2007, 02:04:00 PM »
Credit Union if you have one thru work.  Put some money in each payday and eventually you won't miss it.  Also flex bank HSA or HRA work good. I cash in the cost of my prescriptions and meds once or twice a year. Also sell a little firewood.  I get a longevity check at work twice a year and $800 uniform allowance that I rathole as much as I can.  Put all my quarters in a large jar.  Adds up to a few hundred per year.

Woody

Offline Plywood Bender-laptop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2007, 09:00:00 PM »
I opened a Karate school and it has its own checking account.  I pay for all hobbies thru the school.  I try not to dip into the day job funds for hunting, bows, guns or karate tournys etc.

Carl

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2007, 12:35:00 PM »
Just borrow it! It's much easier to pay it back than save it. Banks just love giving you money!!
Life's to short to wait for hunting trips you always wanted to do. Get insurance on the loan and fly away, he who dies with the biggest debt wins!!! You will only get one chance in life to take the bank for a ride!!!!!! This of course requires the ability to make the payments. Life really is short so make the best of it. I've lost way to many friends that have died saving for these things.
hunt it

Offline Patience

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2007, 04:23:00 PM »
remember the past, plan for the future, live for the now. Find the extra $$$ however you can. You never know when your card will be pulled. i pay the bills and supply the needed goods, the rest has hagle room.

Offline Featherbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2007, 11:09:00 PM »
I have enjoyed reading this thread almost more than any other that has been posted on here!!
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. - Tribe Unknown

Southern Traditional Archery

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2007, 01:31:00 AM »
About six or sevens years back Monty Browning was the speaker for the Montana Bowhunters Association banquet in Bozeman and mentioned how he financed his hunting trips; Trimming trees and "Home Improvement Loans".  Luckily, my wife was in attendance and gained a new understanding/perspective of my obsession to hunt.  Now when I tell her that I am going on a hunting trip she only asks, with a either smile or sneer (depending on her mood and the cost), if we need a “Home Improvement Loan”.  I have found that my hunts never get planned until a date/season and species is set.  The dates/season is usually set according to how long I estimate it will take to put the money together, and then NEVER CHANGES regardless of problems encountered.  Problems always arise and will give everybody legitimate excuses for not going, but if you want it enough you will find a way.  It has been my experience that when the dates/season start changing the hunt never happens.  Do your homework, plan the hunt, the make it happen, it’s easier then you think.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2007, 08:30:00 AM »
Twenty years ago I worked two jobs that afforded me one DIY out of state hunt each year along with my deer hunts in my home state without taking anything away from my family. After about ten years of this I landed a full time job working twelve hours a day seven days a week which I worked at until I retired last year. Even at that, I really didn't think I could afford to start taking guided hunts until my two daughters were older. I didn't go on any really expensive trips until after they were through with college and I figured I could afford it a little better. Looking back, maybe I should have borrowed the money and taken these hard expensive trips when I was younger.
Jack Shanks

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2007, 08:37:00 AM »
I've realized that I am probably never going to retire...........just won't be able to.I figure my retirement will come the morning I don't wake up.......

After knowing/seeing my fair share of people pass on very close to or right after retirement,I decided I wasn't going to wait to do the things the wife and I have always wanted to do until we are supposedly retired.If it means being in debt from now till..............that's what's gonna happen.I'm gonna enjoy the things in life I want to before I'm too old,or worse yet,dead.
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Online Matt Fowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2007, 09:10:00 AM »
Saving never works for me. I borrow, either from the credit union or my 401k well in advance of the trip. By the time the trip rolls around most is paid back. Plus I can usually save a little and put something like licenses or airfare on the cc.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©