3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: my first SoCal wild pig hunt : post hunt report is up  (Read 408 times)

Offline Bard1

• Trad Bowhunter
my first SoCal wild pig hunt : post hunt report is up
« on: August 05, 2008, 06:53:00 PM »
Wow! what a stroke of luck!  
I went to the gun store that I practice my archery at.  While I was in paying my range fee, I saw one of the workers a really nice clean cut kid.  Last time I was in there, he was showing me some places on a map to hunt at.  I had made plans to check one of those places out this weekend and when I saw him at the store I told him as much.  An elderly fella asked me what I was gonna hunt and told him "rabbits, and if I am lucky I'll find a hog."  He said, son you want some hogs come up to my orchard, they run in there most every night!  I can't believe it just like that.  We traded phone numbers and this afternoon I gave him a call.  Tomorrow I am free so I am headed up to learn the lay of the place and give it a go!  I am so excited I just had to share with ya all!  Even if I don't get one, I feel pleased as punch already!
Oh and if any of you want to throw some tips my way I am all ears.
Derek
got arrows?

Offline Steve Crowl

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: my first SoCal wild pig hunt : post hunt report is up
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 06:55:00 PM »
Good luck ... waiting to hear the results.
Steve Crowl

"Proud Father of several Marines"

Offline Bard1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 06:58:00 PM »
Oh and Mr. Green, I took your first tip on the bowhunters of trad gang dvd.  I moved.    :goldtooth:
got arrows?

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 08:11:00 PM »
Being at the right place at the right time is worth a lot sometimes. Sounds like you have a real nice situation developing! Hope to see some pics. As I recall Bjorn hunts pigs in Cali. You might send him a PM.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 09:32:00 PM »
Eureka!  That's what they said when the found gold in California and you my friend have struck the mother lode.....a place with hogs that you don't have to pay for!  Can I come????   :pray:    :biglaugh:
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 09:35:00 PM »
If the orchard owner says they feed there at night, you need to look around and see where they might be bedded down during the day, get downwind of that direction inside of the orchard and wait. In the morning do the opposite  You need to find three things (and you already know one).... food, water and the thick stuff where they want to bed.  Look around for the nastiest poison oak and I bet you'll see trails headed in and out!
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline p1choco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 10:17:00 PM »
Man, that's a sweet deal.  Good luck and have some fun.  Don't forget to report back and let us know how it goes.    :campfire:
Patriotism is easy to understand in America; it means looking out for yourself by looking out for your country.

- Calvin Coolidge

Offline Wednesday Caste

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 01:38:00 PM »
I am so bummed that I was not a hunter when I lived in CA.  Had acces to central coast porkers near Lakes Naci and San Antonio.  They ran everywhere mornings and eves when I camped those areas for fishing/boating.  I envy you.  Show us your pics.
Quinn
Thy word [is] a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. Psalms 119:105
Gracious God; wonderful wife; 2 beautiful kids; bamboo fly rods; recurve bows; and a 57 Chevy. Life is a blessing.
Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 46#; Ben Pearson Colt 62" 45#

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 03:26:00 PM »
You lucky dog, Good luck & happy Hunting

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 03:57:00 PM »
Good luck Derek , I knew you would eventualy find a place.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 05:21:00 PM »
All the best, Derek! My tip is to hug the shoulder.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Bard1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 12:39:00 AM »
Post hunt report:
  Fist off I didn't see any actual hogs today, so no arrows fired no pigs down.  That being said, this place is definately got some great hog habitat and there is hog sign EVERYWHERE.  I took some pictures, but I'll post those later.  I found what I think are good sized hog prints and some scat that is an inch in diameter. I am not sure if this is normal size or indicitive of a big pig.  It's not a large piece of property and still hunting through the pigs bedroom wasn't really a probability do to property line issues as well as there being lots of dead dried mustard.  Walking quietly wasn't possible.  I decided to set up where I could see some major travel corridors running in and out of the thick swampy bedding areas.  oh and there was lots of water suprisingly.  I had to go to the property a lot earlier then I wanted due to the fact the owner was leaving for the day and wanted to show me around before he did.  I still had a great time sitting in the shade of a tree the whole day.  I watched countless butterflys, both swallow tails, and monarch, as well as a white one I don't know the name of. Dragonfly's a plenty and I had hours of amusment watching a mated pair of hawks and there little ones.  Near my "blind" was the 2 week old remains of a pig the owners son had killed.  It smelled pretty bad, but I figured it might help mask my scent a little.  In the evening, a cute little ground squirl came up to the remains and then STARTED EATING THEM AND I COULD HEAR IT GOING crunch crunch crunch.  It was disturbing and fascinating at the same time.  It maybe a few weeks before I eat bacon or chip again.  
I learned that I am still not used to the intense sun down here, and I didn't bring enough water.  In the end I quite 30 min. sooner then I wanted because I was dehydrated and heat stroke was starting to set in.  
I will definatly be going back to this place to hunt, but  I am wondering if the hogs haven't gone completely nocturnal.  
Hope to get the pictures up Thursday or Friday.  
Oh and thanks everyone for the tips.  They were great and I was able to apply them to the hunt in different ways.  
Derek
got arrows?

Offline p1choco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 01:46:00 AM »
Looks like you had a good time.   :thumbsup:   Looking forward to the pics.  When are you going back?
Patriotism is easy to understand in America; it means looking out for yourself by looking out for your country.

- Calvin Coolidge

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 07:41:00 AM »
I headed to CA for the first time in 21 years, the last time I was there I spent 30 days in the desert with the Army. We are flying into LA and heading south to Lakewood for a week on Monday. I wont have my bow so hunting will not be possible plus I dont think the wife would think it was a good use of our time. Any suggestions as to where to visit while we are there.
Terry
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 10:26:00 AM »
Hog scat 1" in diameter is just a dink.  The big ones can leave droppings 3" or bigger!
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Bard1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 11:03:00 AM »
T Folts.  I have only lived here since Oct. of 07 so I am not really the person to ask as to where to go. Sorry.

P1Choco, Don't know when I'll be going back just yet.  We are about to move into a home so I gotta get that outa the way first, but I will be going back.  

Thanks for the input Apex.  That's good scouting info.
got arrows?

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2008, 11:25:00 AM »
Hope you connect soon Derek, that is a great opportunity for ya, good luck!!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline bro-n-arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2008, 12:47:00 PM »
Having lived in this area all my life,what is it you would like to see?
Psalm 71:18 Now also when I am old and gray-headed,O God, do not forsake me,Until I declare your strength to this generation.

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2008, 08:59:00 PM »
Correction: We are going to be in Lake Forest but I think it is the same area. I'm up to anything healthy. I like the outdoor type stuff, site seeing, beaches wilderness parks, I'm not to picky just some ideas.

Thanks
Terry
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline lowell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2008, 09:33:00 AM »
Very cool when a hunt comes together and drops in your lap!!

Has happened to me with turkeys when farmers I work for know I hunt turkeys.  They say .... "we got turkeys here, come and hunt them".  

Wish we had some hogs too!!  :thumbsup:
Don't fix it till you break it!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©