3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trophy or good eating?  (Read 763 times)

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
Trophy or good eating?
« on: August 05, 2008, 09:02:00 PM »
If you had a choice to shoot a doe, a young buck or a big buck, which would you choose and why? Is one better eating than the others? Is the big buck more wiley? Maybe a stupid question, but hey, I'm curious and going on my first hunt this fall. Believe me I'll take whatever I can get, but I'm wondering what the real differences are. Thanks
Brian
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trophy or good eating?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »
To eat I prefer younger does.
 Maybe it's just me but, I think the older ones get a bit "gamey-er".
 That said, when I get a shot with my recurve; I'll decide how to cook it then..  ;)  and whatever it is, it will be MY trophy.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 09:34:00 PM »
If I had good clean shots at all three, I'd take the bigger buck of course but, I don't pass up many shots at does either.

The big doe is probably better eating and if she's mature and experienced with hunters, she can be just as hard or maybe even harder to kill than the big buck. Every animal is a trophy as far as I'm concerned.

I relate it to fishing... We all want that 10 lb walleye but, that doesn't mean that we don't want the 3 lb fish to bite!

Good luck this year!

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 09:54:00 PM »
If they all three walked in together and offered shots, I'd take the big buck.  I don't get too many good chances at them.  I quit shooting the small bucks and I'll likely get more chances at does.

I can only make good use of maybe three deer a year, so much of my hunting time is spent just watching; not that there's anything wrong with that.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 10:03:00 PM »
I pass on the young bucks unless I'm hungry. I prefer does to eat, but a big buck with a bow will always be first choice!
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 10:04:00 PM »
I'd take the bigger buck.  Not because of pride, although I do think that sometimes it is more of a trophy to take a wily old buck, irrespective of antler size.  I'd do it because I love venison.  Maybe my sense of taste isn't as refined as some, but I've shot a couple that were 6-7 years old and never had a problem with the meat tasting 'gamey'.  The more meat the better for me.  It seems like so much more is wasted with a smaller deer, not that I won't shoot them.  If I'm gonna go to the effort of butchering the thing, I want some bang for my buck (no pun intended).

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 10:13:00 PM »
Steaks are bigger and more of them on a big buck. Like Patrick, I really haven't noticed any significant difference, other than the size of the butterflies.. From my experience the "Gamey" thing normally comes from over cooking.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline rybohunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 10:27:00 PM »
Big buck without hesitation. I've yet to find one that didn't cook up nicely. I shoot lots of does for meat as well, but cooked right, a old buck isn't very tough meat.

Offline always89s boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 10:32:00 PM »
it doesnt matter to me id shoot wichever one i had the best shot at
Aim small, miss small

I dont miss i give warning shots

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 10:47:00 PM »
I'd have to take the big one,they just don't come by as often,that may be why I take so many more does than bucks!!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 10:48:00 PM »
It all really depends on how far I have to drag it out.
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 11:03:00 PM »
I hunt does for meat. The younger the better!
 Most states have buck/doe ratio's that are way out of kilter, and I try to trim the doe crop as much as I can.

I leave the bucks alone when shooting for food. I save my buck tag for mister big... or more correctly, the best the area has to offer.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 11:24:00 PM »
I didn't answer your question fully, earlier.  I think old deer are cagier, whether buck or doe.  Either that, or they've found a strategy that works when the hunting pressure is on that's allowed them to live through several hunting seasons.  It can be very difficult to harvest an older doe at times, especially if she has a bunch of little brats with her with their heads on a swivel like I've seen in the later season after too much hunting pressure on public land.

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 11:36:00 PM »
i like eating deer, here in southern mi the deer taste exceptionally good. (crop fed)  ill usually shoot 3 does to 1 buck to try and reduce the buck to doe disparity
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 02:34:00 AM »
I gotta say I've tasted em all from a lil fawn to a wiley old buck and I guess coming from my background I sure blcan taste the difference.

No ur not gonna taste the difference between a 2 and 3 y/o deer but you can tell the difference between a 6month old/yearling to a 7 y/o deer without a doubt!!!

I'd always opt for a big buck but ill never pass a doe!

Offline SC Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 03:20:00 AM »
If I had the choice I would take the big buck, only because the opportunity rarely presents itself. Otherwise I would shoot a doe. Very few places in this country that have a proper buck-doe ratio.

Rob
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Pope & Young General Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 05:11:00 AM »
I like little ones to eat, but I normally will shoot what ever offers me the shot I want. A tough old doe is better than tag soup.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 05:52:00 AM »
For eating I like does.  For me any deer with a bow is special for me. I have only taken two with a coumpound.  The first was a big doe and the secound was a spike.  I was thrilled with both of them. This year will be my first hunting with my recurve and if I get a 80 pound doe you bet I'll be proud of her.  If I kill a wall hanger that's just icing on the cake.

I have a nice buck that I shot with a rifle in 03.  My brother can't figure out why I don't have him scored.  My thought process is it is good enough that I got him and can look up at him from my recliner and remember the hunt.  I'd rather hunt a wild raghorn than a tame monster that meets you at the gate.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 06:13:00 AM »
I don't see many big bucks but if one gives me a shot I will kill it.They have more burger than the smaller deer so it will not be wasted.I deer hunt only because I like to eat them however so if I shoot a buck it is usually only because he was the first to show up and give me a shot. :)I quit hunting for headgear many years ago.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 06:46:00 AM »
I would take the first doe or older buck that presented me with a shot.  I'm gonna eat it so it doesn't matter which one.  I don't care how hard you try you'll never get those horns cooked to where you can eat them.  In NC we can shoot something like 6 deer a season and if I could I would make all 6 of them does.  Our buck to doe ratio is way off and the big bucks don't usually have to go very far to find a his does.

I would have to say that an old doe is more wiley than an old buck.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©