3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dad's turning 60, let's get him a hunt!  (Read 265 times)

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
Dad's turning 60, let's get him a hunt!
« on: August 06, 2008, 12:04:00 AM »
My Dad is turning 60 this month and for a gift we're looking to give him a hunt. We live in northern Wisconsin and I was thinking about a guided bear hunt in the UP of michigan.  Any recommendations on outfitters? Units? etc.  Any and all advice is welcome and thank you in advance.   NBK
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dad's turning 60, let's get him a hunt!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 08:03:00 AM »
Your dad would first need to draw a permit for that hunt in Michigan's UP. Then depending on which unit and hunt period you choose it could be a 62-65 birthday present hunt.

The last time I hunted bears in the UP in 04 there were so many other hunters in the Bergland unit where we hunted we had a hard time competing with them. I swore I would never go back.

Northern Wisconsin isn't far from Ontario. I would suggest finding an outfitter there for a quality hunt for your dad. Lots of bears and a whole lot less people.
Jack Shanks

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 08:51:00 AM »
Like Jack said drawing a tag in Michigan and having a quility hunt can be difficult.  I have a buddy that has applied for 5 years now for the Gwinn area and still probably has another year or two before he will draw a tag.  

Again like Jack suggested I would look into some Ontario camps.  I know people that have been to some great ones that are very reasonably priced.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 09:20:00 AM »
Send your Dad to CK's in Texas....for pigs.
Probaly cheaper and a better chance to score.....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 07:28:00 PM »
NBK,

Where are you in WI?
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline pronghorn23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 10:18:00 PM »
Don't know if Minnesota would be easier to draw? May be just as close. Or Canada just over the border.

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 10:51:00 PM »
I'm from Tomahawk.  It's about 3hrs. straight north of Madison, and about 1hr. south of the UP.  I'd also be interested in hearing about other hunting opportunities.  Problem is that my dad has been from saskatchewan to alaska to you name it and I'm trying to find a solid, fair-chase, archery hunt that I can afford to pay for two.  He's not fussy and we can wait a year or two in the planning phase just as long as something is there to plan!  Thanks for the replies and keep 'em coming.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 10:57:00 PM »
for our father\\son trip next year my dad and I are gonna try and go to CK's for hogs
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline BillW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 10:00:00 AM »
If you want to hunt bears and try something different for us Midwestern hunters you can hunt Maine. I hunted 2 years in a row up there (got one the first year nothing the next). Long drive but I had a great time. The bears are very bait wise and no push over’s. They also have some BIG bears. On my first trip I shot a 250# bear (not huge but OK). When I checked it in, the lady told me the day before she checked in a 490# and a 494# bear… WOW. I have also found Maine to be a bargain in comparison to Canada. You would not believe the dense woods up there. Just beautiful. My guide baited in a natural looking setting like a dead stump so more aesthetically appealing than a steel drum as well.

I have hunted both US and Canada for bears. I will compare both experiences for you so you have my honest evaluation of my hunts. I would say I saw much fewer bears in Maine and you had to work hard being still to get a shot. They have great size potential and this is much more of a hunting experience (harder). For a midwestern guy who has never been to Maine I was amazed at the wilderness and beauty of the area (Ashland). I also made a life long friend in my (“Maniac” what folks in Maine are called… LOL) guide (Jim Brown). He worked hard for me, making me feel welcome and like one of his family. On the Canadian hunt I saw a lot of bears that were less savvy and that was neat due to the numbers of bears I was near. Not as challenging a hunt and it was pretty much just wait till the small bears got run off by a big bear and decide if you want him or not. The biggest negative and again maybe just my experience, was that it was obvious to me that the Canadian guide only cared about my money. He did not have an interest in what kind of experience or hunt I had….. Maybe we just did not gel. He did his job but if we passed on the street today, I doubt he would even say hello.

I doubt anyone will see as many bears in Maine as Canada (depends on guides area) but you get a more challenging hunt and if it is important to you, keep your money in the US. You just might find a friend for life as I did. I will go back to Maine and hunt with Jim just for the beautiful woods, comradery and a chance at one of those 500# bears.

Nice idea and a great gesture from your family. I am sure whatever you do your Dad will appreciate it.

Bill
Aim Small

Offline Slickheadhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 05:49:00 PM »
If its bears you want then go to Maine! Tons of great places for bears and tags are over the counter.Oxbow would be my recomendation,they have an excellent record for bear hunting and they kill some huge bears between 400 and 550lbs.
A good clean kill or a good clean miss...I thank the Lord for both!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©