3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who ever said custom bows were expensive???  (Read 846 times)

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who ever said custom bows were expensive???
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2008, 08:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by L82HUNT:
What about a company like Widow?  If a bow can be made in a few days why does it takes a couple months to get one of there bows.  
I realize they sell quite a few bows but they have a larger staff then most.
Simply because there are other customers ahead of you when you place an order.
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

"short skirts create less drag in the woods..." (Dave Worden)

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2008, 08:07:00 AM »
Most of the bowyers that I have met...and I've met a couple of the top-shelf ones...are just good-ol' folks making enough money to cover their love and passion for archery.

Some bowyers come out with something new, it gets publicity on the internet, and folks go wild over it and start placing orders creating a year-long or more backlog for the bowyer.  Then another bowyer comes up with something else new and everyone rushes over to their camp scrambling to place orders..creating a backlog there also.
Meanwhile, there's just some solid bowyers sitting in the background making a good product day after day and making a decent living (Bob Lee Archery comes to mind).  Nothing groundbreaking, nothing extremely fancy....just a good product with good customer service along with good business sense.
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

"short skirts create less drag in the woods..." (Dave Worden)

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2008, 08:22:00 AM »
Well said Tom - a good summary of how I think it must work.

There was one bow in particular that was the flavour of the month on here about a year ago - now one never hears of them anymore.  

However - like you say with Lee - the solid ones are here to stay.  They grind the orders out year after year with bows that are downright keepers.  They may never be flavour of the month but they will be here for the long-haul.

Sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Offline chrisg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2008, 11:22:00 AM »
It has all been covered here, definitely not $/hr alone, if you put capital into equipment and systems etc your production will increase but you will need to recoup that cost over time. Once done if you are careful and provide quality service along with a decent product off you go. I would imagine though, that many folks get into it for the love of it and find themselves making more and more bows and working longer hours. They will eventually face the choice of whether they wish to compete with machines and factories. Reputation and 'fashion' influence the short term but consistency and quality wins out in the long term.
Chrisg

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©