3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lathe question  (Read 1094 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
Lathe question
« on: February 23, 2007, 11:29:00 AM »
The topic doesn't sound like a bow related question but it really is.

I bought a mini lathe the other day with the intention of making fancy osage handled pin knot scrapers to donate to the up coming Trad Gang St Jude auction. I am going mount it on a heavy wall shelf. I was concerned about the proper working height. Any suggestions?

All my other woodworking tools are for making bows and I have never owned a lathe.

Offline Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lathe question
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 11:36:00 AM »
Eric,  I'll give you my 'For what its worth'

Bend your forearms parallel to the floor and measure from the floor to your elbow. Set the lathe centers to that height above the floor.

Rusty
"Mystic rhythms,Under northern lights or the African sun,Primitive things stir the hearts of everyone"

Offline Glenn Carl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 11:47:00 AM »
Eric.

I have 4 guys working in my cabinet shop that range from 5'9" to 6'5" tall. All of our tools seam to always get mounted on a 36" high bench or table. That is the same height as a standard kitchen countertop and just seams to be comfortable for everyone. Just my 2 cents.  Glenn
"This is cool"  My 7 year old son Ian after shooting his new youth bow built from Elk Ninja's build-along

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 12:37:00 PM »
I recently "remodeled" my shop to downsize to smaller tools than I used to have, including a Delta midi-lathe.  I mounted it on a roll around tool cart with four lock wheels.  It works great and is a good usable height.   Here's a pic of three main tools... lathe in the corner.   I can just pull out whatever I need...

If you want to see the whole shop, check it out at:

http://www.dickwightman.com/shop/shopandbowroom.html

I put a lot of thought into creating a decent work area for an older guy who can't do quite as much as he once did.  

dick in seattle
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 06:22:00 PM »
'Perpendicular' to your body...seeesh

Rusty
"Mystic rhythms,Under northern lights or the African sun,Primitive things stir the hearts of everyone"

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 08:15:00 PM »
Rusty is just bragging that he can spell "parallel".
Killdeer (unedited)
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 08:56:00 PM »
Yes, of course. Whatever it takes to impress the senoritas! But I never know which it is, the brain or the brawn.

Rusty, still learning proper usage and definitions

Offline kerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 09:08:00 PM »
Eric,

Two questions:

What is a 'pin knot scraper' ?

The lathe is so heavy, I wonder what a wall shelf will do to absorb the weight and make it spin true.  I'm not doubting your design at all. It is that I've mounted mine to the work bench which dispereses the vibrations through the bench and floor.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 09:41:00 PM »
I was wondering about that one myself??? That thing id going to shake the pictures off the wall in the next room  :scared:    :scared:    :banghead:

Offline kcbrown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 10:14:00 PM »
Eric, where I work we have them pretty small and up to where they have a small ladder to get up on it. Really for that size tater is dead on. You really dont want to have to bend or stoop to put something in the lathe.
She said " did you see that?" He said "Of course!!!" She said " Why did you step in it then?"

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 10:18:00 PM »
I have heavy duty metal shelf supports I will bolt to the wall and have a 2x12 I will use for the shelf. The lathe weighs over 100lbs, hopefully it will be stable.

As for the pin knot scraper, I thought my build along was in the how to section but it is not. It has also been removed from the archives. I can post it again if there is enough interest.

The pin knot scraper is made from a concrete nail, heated and annealed to soften, pounded flat, shaped filed almost sharp, heated and quenched to reharden and buffed to a razor edge. You can work around osage pin knots easily with this tool.

Another view.

Offline Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 10:31:00 PM »
kcbrown, I worked for Dresser Rand service/repair center for 5 yrs. I know about those lathes it takes a ladder to get to!

Eric, Being that your machine is 100 plus lbs. and even if it wasn't I'd anchor it to the floor.

Rusty

Offline Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2007, 10:43:00 PM »
I'm assuming your lathe is a woodturning lathe and you will actually be cutting your spindles freehand. If you have an engine lathe and expect to stand alot or use a tall stool 36-40 inches to centers for a 6 ft. person would be about right.

Rusty

Offline Matthew D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2007, 10:45:00 PM »
Nice work Eric..

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©