3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cool new flashlight  (Read 1461 times)

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
Cool new flashlight
« on: August 06, 2008, 12:57:00 PM »
I bought one of those little Main Beam flashlights a few monthes ago and it blew me away. Wens showed it to me. He was so impressed that they sell them on their site. Open the website and watch the short You-Tube demo clip there. It fits in your shirt pocket, has great battery life and a lifetime guarantee. I see ads for other hunters flashlights with a whopping 80 lumens. This one throws 215 lumens at half the cost. I got tired of the rechargable fading out on me at the worst times. This little job you can carry anextra battery and stay out for hours Watch the demo clip. Seeing is believing.

web page
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline bm22

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cool new flashlight
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 01:14:00 PM »
WOW that looks great!!!! i like my scorpion but that thing looks nice, i like the different power settings for just walking around.

one question. is there an option to just turn the thing off without cycling threw all of the different  power settings to turn it off ?

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 01:16:00 PM »
Thanks Biggie.  I use (d) a mini Mag lite for years but have been wondering if there was something better.  Do you have enough experience with this to tell me how this compares.

a)regarding weight / size

b)regarding the cost / size etc, availability
   of batteries used (does this take a special
   weird size or type?)

c) amount of actual light it puts out

Thanks
ChuckC

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 01:21:00 PM »
Guess I shoud have visited the site first.  It describes all the above on the site.  Might need to look into this one.
ChuckC

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 01:28:00 PM »
I've got one question: where is the on/off button located?  If it's in the rear like a Streamlight, I don't want it.  Since when did folks start walking around holding their little pen-lights like a Georgia Highway Patrolman on Saturday night with a 4-D cell MagLite?  A button in the rear just irks me for some reason...and just isn't ergonomic for one-handed operation with a pen-light.  Big MagLite, yes...pen-light, no.
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

"short skirts create less drag in the woods..." (Dave Worden)

Offline Goose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 01:56:00 PM »
I saw these at the PBS banquet this year and they were great!  I've got one on order.

Goose
Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 02:40:00 PM »
i got mine a couple of weeks ago...it compares very favorably (to me) with the Surefire line of lights...it is more compact & packs a powerful beam....i wish they came in bright colors though cause i have a tendency to lay mine down...
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 02:56:00 PM »
Looks interesting, but no mention of battery life at upper two settings.  I would like to know those......plenty of long lasting lights at low lumen settings.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 03:08:00 PM »
Tom: Please quit using those big words like "ergonomic". I had to go look it up. The off/on switch is recessed at the back so you can sit the unit upright like a candle if desired. I own two Surefires and one Streamlight that I don't even use since I found the Main Beam. Frankly, no comparison. In all honesty the off/on switch on the shaft of my Streamlight was one of the things I didn't like. I was constantly rotating the shaft in the dark trying to find the button. The rear switch is always in the same place. And I can turn it on/off with one hand, eyes closed, in about one second flat. Also, PM22.. no, you don't have to cycle through different settings to turn it off. If you turn it onto the lower setting then soft-touch the button to increase the lumens, when you turn it off it automatically goes back to the original lower, energy saving setting. The high technology and functions of this little light blow me away. Thanks for your interest. BW

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 03:08:00 PM »
I thought he told the hours per lumens on that clip....guess I'll watch it again.

Also, you can get you some bright tape to wrap it in if you want to be able to find it easier.

Yes...the button is in the back, but recessed so it wont get turned on by touching something else in your pack.

I bought one of the SPOT at PBS, and this light kicks BOOTY!!!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 03:14:00 PM »
Looks like I was posing the same time Barry was....and yes, the hours per lumens IS on that clip.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline p1choco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 03:26:00 PM »
Wow, that light is impressive!  Looks like it was made with military and law enforcement in mind.  I've owned quite a few flashlights from respectable brands when I was in the military.  I thought my 160 lumen Insight technology was as bright they come, other than some Surefire specialty stuff.  Being as bright as it is with almost the same features offered by the Blackhawk Gladius, this light beats them hands down.  Well at least from what I've read and seen in the demo.  Not sure about durability, but I intend to find out.  And at a fraction of the cost!  Can't beat it.  I'll pass the word along to my Marine and Army buddies.  BTW, here is a warning to anybody that attempts to look at one of these straight on to "check out how bright it is".  You will literally be blind for about 10-15 seconds and it will be worse at night.  Add the strobe effect and you will get dizzy.
Patriotism is easy to understand in America; it means looking out for yourself by looking out for your country.

- Calvin Coolidge

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 03:33:00 PM »
BobW: The You-Tube Demo on our website (listed above) does mention the battery life at the upper settings. From low to high: 12 Lumens lasts for 65 hours; 53 Lumens lasts for thirteen hours straight; 120 lumens lasts just under five hours; 215 lumens just under two hours. We don't recommend you keeping it on the 215 lumens for more than ten minutes straight in order for it not to heat up too much. The lower settings are usually all you need for 90% of it's work anyway. But the 215 lumens are there if needed. The complete demo is at:  www.brothersofthebow.com.  Thanks. bw

Offline bm22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 03:45:00 PM »
i think i will buy one.

i hate having the on/off on the shaft of a light for the exact reason Barry mentioned. and because i just toss my light in my ruck sack and i keep mashing them turning on the light with the shaft on/off.

i don't carry my like a highway patrolman just mash the back and carry it any way you want, easy as pie.

if you look around you can get the battery's for this light for $.79 a piece, they aren't quite as good as the duracell but they are are 5 dollars a piece and aren't 5 times as worse either

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 03:45:00 PM »
Thanks Barry, I couldn't watch the video from the computer I am on.... darn work restrictions.....

those numbers are impressive!
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline MikeS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 03:53:00 PM »
I got one a couple of weeks ago.  I haven't really used it yet, except to try it out and compare it with my little mini-mag that has an led bulb.  I found the little mini-mag with the led bulb last year to be better than my full sized 3 c-cell Maglight for blood trailing at night.  This new light will beat them all hands down, from what I saw during my "test."  And, it is sooo small and compact, it is unbelievable!
MIke

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 03:55:00 PM »
"ergonomics" That's the study of money....Barry, you so dumb sometimes
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Willow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 04:04:00 PM »
Sounds good.

In case anyone is interested, Lowes has a task force 3gig led for $30. It has a lifetime warranty and something like 150 lumens.

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 04:14:00 PM »
Thanks for the info & Terry i'm so dumb i amaze myself sometimes....i just happen to have some of the fluorescent white arrow wraps from one of our sponsors lying around...trimmed down to size...magic......    :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 04:45:00 PM »
What is the light source in the flashlight? I assume it is not an LED but rather an inert gas bulb, but I can hope I am wrong. I looked everywhere on the website to find the answer but couldn't see anything that gave the information.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©