3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: August Self Bow/Primitive Gear Fix (Some Great Bow Pics)  (Read 583 times)

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
August Self Bow/Primitive Gear Fix (Some Great Bow Pics)
« on: August 06, 2008, 02:02:00 PM »
One of these days or weeks or years I'm gonna start building these things.  But for now, how about showing off your summer built selfbow and arrow pics.  Nothing better for kicking off the season than seeing a bunch of gear that comes with alot of heart!
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: August Self Bow/Primitive Gear Fix (Some Great Bow Pics)
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 10:47:00 PM »
This is the bow I finished earlier this year.70" t2t 68"n2n 51#@24" Red Oak Pyramid w/ Wenge, Osage & Ipe

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 11:07:00 AM »
Molson, I sent you a PM.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 11:23:00 AM »
Got it Pat.  Sent you and email.

Nice bow Mystic.  Is that pyramid a board bow?
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 02:38:00 PM »
Pics sent!  I sent some arrow pics also.    Pat
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 04:34:00 PM »
Here's a couple bows I finished just a couple weeks ago.   I plan on using them this season.

First one is an osage selfbow, with bullsnake skins and sheephorn tip overlays, around 62 lbs @ 28, and 62 inches nock to nock.

The other is a bamboo backed Ipe, around 70 lbs @ 28, and is 64 inches nock to nock.  It is a real screamer to shoot too.   But I like the selfbow best myself.  

My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 09:05:00 PM »
Nice bows Mark.  Not to take anything from the Ipe but man is that Osage sweet!  Love those handle wraps.

Pat B. emailed me some photos of a beautiful yew bow and a super nice osage recurve.  I'll get some pics posted for him soon.

Offline Peter Arthur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 10:42:00 PM »
Really nice Mark. Looks like you made those arrows too?

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 07:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by Molson:
Nice bow Mystic.  Is that pyramid a board bow?
Yes it is.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 08:22:00 AM »
Got this fine old, very old, stave from javaman in the St Jude auction and made some elk medicine.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=119;t=000112

I had it at MOJam in the rough state at 62#@28 - 67.5" ntn and posted this pic a while back.

Finished out at 60#, put a JD style handle and a home for a special pair of moccasin skins I'd been saving. Teamed with some yellow birch and 190 Grizzly it pushes this 730 grn combo with authority. Jack Russel Terrier inspected and ready  for fall.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 08:26:00 AM »
Nice Shaun. What kind of skin is that?

Offline Peter Arthur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 08:35:00 AM »
Really nice Shaun!

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 09:25:00 AM »
Nice Shaun.  Your bows always have that, "Take Me!" look to them!

Here's a couple pics Pat B. sent me.  The first is yew and the recurve osage.  Pat can come along and describe the bows better than I can.  He obviously has some talent!

Pat had a nice youth bow he made as well but I'm having trouble with the picture for some reason.

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 09:27:00 AM »
Here's a few cane arrows Pat made to go along with the bows.

Check out that Cherokee two fletch on those shafts.  Sweet!

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2008, 09:50:00 AM »
Thanks for posting these bows Tim.
  The first is from a 5" yew log that Don Berg(OldBow from PA) duct taped to his bike and rode 8 miles out of the Montana wildeness. The bow bends through the handle and pulls about 50#@26" and is about 64" t/t. She has water buff tip overlays and is finished with only bear grease.
   The osage static recurve is 60" t/t with cherry bark backing, TruOil finish and elk antler overlays. Most folks scrape the lychens off the bark but I thought it was to cool so I left it on. This bow also pulls about 50#@26" and bends through the handle. The osage stave for this bow was cut May 8, 2008. After I finished the bow it began to take on some set. I believe it was still a bit "green" so it has been over my hotwater heater for about a month now.
Both of these bows will join me in the deer woods this season.
   The arrows are hill cane(Arundinaria appalaciana)one of our native bamboos, from along my driveway. The stone points were made by 3 different friends. The fletching are turkey but the style is a bit different. The first is a slightly modified Cherokee 2 fletch. The second one is similar to the first but I used a feather burner to give it a banana burn. The 3rd is a hybrid 2 fletch with my own burn style. The points are hafted with pine pitch glue and sinew wrap and the fletching is only sinew wrapped, fore and aft. The sinew wraps on the points and fletching are sealed with pine pitch varnish. These arrows weigh between 612gr and 648gr.
   The arrows fly very well from both bows above and will join us as my hunting equipment this season.   Enjoy!     Pat
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 11:22:00 AM »
Sal

they are copper head skins. Don't know why I put "moccasin" in the post, maybe because of a recent conversation about how aggressive water moccasins are. I picked up a pair of copper head skins from Lloyd at MOJam but one was not long enough so I dug into my stash for this pair of primo skins.

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2008, 11:23:00 AM »
Shaun, you got a pic of your hatchet bow?
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2008, 12:08:00 PM »
Shaun, You did a great job with that old, snaky stave. I bet it was a pleasure to work. Just knowing its history makes it even more special.
  I love copperhead skins on bows but was run out of my stand 2 nights in a row by a Brown Thrasher(ground bird). It wasn't until I was back in camp the second evening that I realized it was the copperhead and not me the bird was after.     Pat
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2008, 12:48:00 PM »
Kevin

here's the hatchet bow. I made up my own rules this year; find a piece of wood on site and make a bow during the MOJam weekend. Cut this piece of hickory along the 3-D trail and chipped out a bow on Friday afternoon and Saturday before the contest. It looked good but had not cast - wet hickory. After drying for a month+ it is up to 20# and will at least toss an arrow to the target. Hope it dries on out over time. It was a real fun project.

Nice bows Pat and Sal and Mark. I really like that yew bend in the handle Pat, swell work!

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2008, 12:54:00 PM »
Thanks Shaun. Yew is fun to work. I just hope I'm not too rough with it. It can be delicate and I'm usually not!      
  I like your hatchet bow. Give that hickory a few more months and it will be hunting weight. Pat
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©