3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hatchet/ knife combo?  (Read 664 times)

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
Hatchet/ knife combo?
« on: February 23, 2007, 05:36:00 PM »
A couple weeks ago there was a hatchet thread, got me thinking and when I was out brousing today I ran across a Gerber knife/ hatchet combo that intrigued me...the knife fit in the handle and the hatchet was about the smallest you can find....the handle was 8-10" or so.  Pretty slick setup I thought, but still a bit heavy for my backcountry hunting, I think I'll stick with the knife/ foldingsaw/ pruners setup, but was wondering if anyone has seen or used one of these kits.
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline Fritz Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hatchet/ knife combo?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 10:02:00 PM »
I have one.  Like you said, it's a little heavy for carrying around in your pack, so mine tends to ride around in my jeep.  The knife in the handle thing is a little hokey.  If you are going at the job of hatcheting, the knife tends to fall out of the handle.  Also, the magnet that holds the knife in fell out of my hatchet handle so it doesnt stay in there at all anymore.  That said,  Gerber does make nice axes and nice knives so they are both high quality, it's just the knife in the handle part that failed for me.

-Fritz
What demon possessed me,
that I behaved so well.
          -H.D. Thoreau

A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points,
but it is by no means the most interesting.
-Dr. Who

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hatchet/ knife combo?
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 08:53:00 AM »
Gerber makes some pretty good stuff, but I didn't care for those hatchets. The blade is good, but that plastic handle bothered me.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©