3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Binocular help?  (Read 1893 times)

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
Binocular help?
« on: January 01, 2007, 11:05:00 PM »
Anyone have a suggestion on binoculars, both brands and powers?  I'm looking at a pair of zeiss classic 8x30's and a pair of Vortex vipers 8x42.  I have no way to compare the two. The zeiss glasses are the 150th aniversary pair that used to sell for $999.  Now you can get them for $579.  I'm just about sold on the zeiss but am wondering if they will not be too good under low light conditions due to only having a 30mm objective lense.  Any ideas?

Offline JStark

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Binocular help?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 11:09:00 PM »
Frankly, I don't think you can go wrong with Zeiss.
Through education, appreciation;
through appreciation, protection.

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 11:13:00 PM »
I like my Zeiss Classics 10x that I purchased from Cabelas last year, but I have  no experience with the other.
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline T. Downing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 11:22:00 PM »
Jonsimoneau, Go with the Zeiss! I have sold binos for eight years and they make a fine bino. Zeiss has an awesome warranty and their quality is outstanding. I have experience with the entire Zeiss line,including the classic series, (my father owns the 10X40's) and you will be very happy you bought the Zeiss. T
Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
are children born in one’s youth. Blessed is the man
whose quiver is full of them.
Psalm 127 4-5

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 11:33:00 PM »
The 8x30 will give an exit pupil of 3.75. I think that the human eye pupil is around 5 on average. So they may not be real bright in low light. Hap

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 11:48:00 PM »
Hap, that is what I'm worried about too.

Offline T. Downing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 11:56:00 PM »
"So they may not be real bright in low light". Sorry fellas, this is simply not true. Zeiss lenses are multi-coated and the brightness in low light situations is remarkable. I own a pair of 8X30 Swarovskis and they perform admirably despite the exit pupil. Again, it is the multi-lense coatings.  I acknowledge your concerns over the 3.75, however, you take a pair of 10X50's (5.0 exit pupil) with subpar lenses and you will be disappointed.
Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
are children born in one’s youth. Blessed is the man
whose quiver is full of them.
Psalm 127 4-5

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 12:05:00 AM »
BowmanT, thanks for the help.  I'm learning more about binoculars in the last few days, than I ever knew before.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 12:36:00 AM »
Any other opinions?

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 06:40:00 AM »
I have a pair of Zeiss Diafun 8x30s, a lower grade binoc. I have also owned or own Pentax, Nikon, Canon and Simmons binocs. These Zeiss are my constant companions. I have used them for two years and am still awed by and in love with them!

I did a little looking around online because I was unfamiliar with the Vortex brand. One site that I looked at offered both, and had the Zeiss at the price you mentioned. I still like the Zeiss better.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Buglmin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2007, 08:50:00 AM »
I just got my hands on a pair of Vortex binos for Christmas, the Vulture 8.5x50, and they are a great bino. We're hunting mule deer now here in New Mexico, and one Mathews shooter is a Leica shooter, and you can't tell the difference. My Zeiss is blurry around the edges now, and they're only three years old. One of the hunters from Oregon has the same pair, and his is blurry around the edges.
We're comparing all the binos out here while hunting, and the best low light gather is the dang Steiner. You can see things through them three minutes before you can see through the Vortexs or the Zeiss. My Vortexs are holding their own in clarity, sharpness, and light gathering compared to the Zeiss, Leicas, and the Swarovski, but the Steiner is making all look bad. Like I said, these guys are carrying top of the line binos, they're sponsored shooters, and the Vortexs are comparing with the best of them. Look into the warrenty from Vortex, and you'll be surprised what you learn.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2007, 08:58:00 AM »
Check out my review on the Eagle Optics Ranger SRT's on the product review forum.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline bjk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007, 09:01:00 AM »
One trade off not mentioned is size...the 8x30's will fall into compact and the 8x42's will fall into full size (I would think).  The extra light gathering capabilities (if any) the 42's gives you won't do you much good if you tend to leave them at home.

Also, you should buy binos for the type of situation.  The 8x30's will be nice when one handed glassing comes into play.  It will be difficult at best to glass with one hand with the 42's.

Btwn the two, I would choose Zeiss w/o hesitation.

Offline southpawshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2007, 10:07:00 AM »
What BJK said.......
Scott F >>--->   @

"if the wood don't fly the bunny don't die" - Stone Knife, JLMBH 2008

Proud member of Team Pink

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2007, 11:56:00 AM »
You never asked about them but I would reccomend you  consider the Swarovski's. There are several great bino manufacturers but IMO there are none better and  their prices are comp to the Zeiss.

I have some 8X30's and would not get any bigger as they weigh about 19oz. Any larger and they start to get heavy before the day is over. I also have some 8X20's that fit in my shirt pocket. I actually carry them more often just because of the weight. The small binos work just as good when you are hunting in brush or timbered areas as opposed to the more wide open.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline Featherbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2007, 12:02:00 PM »
I looked at all binoc.....expensive and cheap.  The one thing i realized that is that you have find the right binoc to fit your eye.  I looked at zeiss, leupold, simmons, bushnell elite and nikon and finally ended up with the Nikon Monarchs, just because they fit my eye perfect.
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. - Tribe Unknown

Southern Traditional Archery

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2007, 03:06:00 PM »
The two I carry are Eagle Optics Ranger Platinum and a pair of 8X42 Docter glasses. Both have outstanding glass.

Keep FOV (field of view) in mind when buying glasses. If your hunting thick woods,6X may be too much power. The wider the FOV, the better in my opinion. It's hard to find a real good pair of 6X glasses these days.

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline joeare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2007, 03:49:00 PM »
You might consider a Leica Ultravid 8x42.  http://www.leica-camera.us/hunting_optics/ultravid_binoculars/ultravid_42_br/
The Leica binoculars are made in Germany and I have read some tests about them where they came off better than Swarovskis or Zeiss. I will soon buy a Leica Ultravid 10x25 that fits in my trouser's pocket but may be too small for bad light conditions.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©