3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: advice for a new archer  (Read 1192 times)

Offline Michael Peschek

• Trad Bowhunter
advice for a new archer
« on: February 24, 2007, 02:43:00 AM »
First of all, I would like to introduce myself. The name's Michael and I just recently got into traditional archery.

I have been using my girlfriends, dads equipment and decided to start getting my own. I am in the process of making a quiver, armguard, and I might try a tab or glove, but I need a bow and I ain't about to try to make one (maybe later this year though).

I have been using a Fred Bear Grizzly with 45# @ 28. At a recent shoot I probably shot 100+ arrows and felt great. I think my draw is around 30". I was thinking around 50#-55# because I would like the option of hunting if I wanted to.

I have looked into getting a Fred Bear Grizzly, or a Martin X-200 recurve but I was thinking I could get a better bow for the price used.

Any suggestions on a decent bow for a few hundred? Thanks!

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: advice for a new archer
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 03:26:00 AM »
Look around online. I bought my Browning Wasp online for 80 bucks, and it's a killer.

If you want a new bow, then most manufacturers make a pretty decent bow----Martin being a standout in my mind. I have a friend who has an X-200 and loves it. A recommendation? Well, I like the Martin "Vision" longbow the best out of all the commercial bows, but I'm weird that way...

Jeff

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 05:50:00 AM »
45 pounds at 28" is fine for deer hunting, and at your longer draw it is more like 50 pounds. Everybody here will tell you their favorite bow, but I suggest that you get to some shoots this summer and try a mess of them out, so you can see what you like and don't like in a bow. Meantime, your girlfriend's dad's bow is a good one, and will serve you well. Could be you might sweet-talk him out of it!

Killdeer  :wavey:    :campfire:    :archer:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Benha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 08:07:00 AM »
I had a Martin X-200 and loved it. Killdeer is right. Shoot everything you can get your hands on before making your decision.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 08:25:00 AM »
All good advice here Michael and like Killy says get to some shoots try some bows. Or do you have a decent Traditional Shop around you where you can try some bows? A bear grizzly or a Martin X-200 are great starter bows though.Also like JBiorn says once you try some bows to see what you like check out the Trad gang bow classifieds there is some great bow bargins for sale by some great people that aren't out to put the screws to you so to speak.Plus everyone here is willing to help you.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 08:41:00 AM »
Oh and that bow at your 30 inch draw would be around 51 #s. Most bows pick up around three pounds for every additional inch of draw length.Which is great for hunting deer etc etc.

Offline project mayhem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 12:52:00 PM »
Where in Washington are ya Michael?  I'm in Yakima.  I'd love to help if I can, let me know.  JW
Shoot it like you stole it!

Offline Michael Peschek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 02:39:00 PM »
Hey, thanks for the good advice everyone. I have been to two shoots already and the next one I will be attending is a bigger event so I will try some other bows.

project mayhem, I am in Renton south of Seattle. But  my girlfriend is in Ellensburg so I go over there quite a bit. What kinda help were you thinking of? Any would be appreciated.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 04:12:00 PM »
yep ur shooting about 51# I bet!!!! recurves are easier to shoot for most , but I love longbows!!!Good luck...check out the classifieds...  :wavey:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 06:43:00 PM »
Welcome to the wall and enjoy. Alan

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 07:23:00 PM »
Howdy Michael,
Welcome to Trad Archery.  Here's my two cents worth...

Don't "over bow" yourself.  If you are comfy in that 45-50 lbs range, stay there.  If you are drawing a true 30" and have been shooting a bow that's 45lbs@28", you're probably actually drawing around 51lbs.  You'll shoot better and practice better with a bow you are comfortable with.  

Next, peruse the Classifieds here for a used bow.  There are lots available, and you will be able to pick up a top end bow for considerably less than new.  I personally recommend a Chek Mate TD Hunter II.  Should be able to get a good used one for $300-$350...

Lastly, practice, practice, practice.  That's the only was to get good...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline project mayhem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2007, 09:08:00 PM »
Well to be honest, there's probably not a lot I can do for ya that your girlfriend's dad can't.  I still haven't made it to a shoot.  If you're ever headed east, let me know!  JW                                                         P.S.   Visit Tradgang often!
Shoot it like you stole it!

Offline hawgslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2007, 10:25:00 AM »
:wavey:    :jumper:
HAWGSLAYER

07 BOB LEE HUNTER 49#'S
09 MARTIN 48#'s
CVA ACCURA 50 CAL.
BL/STAINLESS
SEMPER FI

Keep your feathers dry and your nose in the wind and become the predator that we really are.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©