3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Alum. shaft durability  (Read 2051 times)

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
Alum. shaft durability
« on: February 24, 2007, 08:31:00 AM »
Morning Gang:

This post is directed at those who prefer to shoot aluminum arrows. Specifically, my question pertains to arrow diameter vs. wall thickness and how these two factors relate to DURABILITY. We're all aware that, when we look at an arrow recommendation chart, we find that various shaft sizes are recommended for a given draw weight and arrow length. We're also aware that, for a given shaft size- say a 2219, for example- the first two digits represent the diameter of the shaft, while the last two digits represent the wall thickness of that shaft.

So when comparing a 2512 shaft to a 2219 shaft, the 2512 shaft will have a larger diameter, but the 2219 will have a significantly thicker wall. If both shafts fly great from a given bow, and you had to choose between the two shafts (2512 or 2219) BASED ON DURABILITY ALONE, which shaft would you choose?

A friend of mine who is a civil engineer (but doesn't bowhunt so he has no practical experience with arrow durability) thought that the 2512 (larger diameter, thinner wall) would be more durable than the 2219 (smaller diameter, thicker wall). This opinion flies directly in the face of my own practical experience with arrows.

DISREGARDING OTHER CONSIDERATIONS such as arrow speed, arrow weight, arrow penetration, etc.- in your experience, which aluminum arrow would be more durable- an arrow having a larger diameter and a thinner wall, or an arrow having a smaller diameter and a thicker wall?
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Alum. shaft durability
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 08:38:00 AM »
The 2512 might be stiffer that the 2219. I don't have one to test.  The 2219 should be more durable.  It's very easy to collapse the wall of a thin walled aluminum in practice.  At least that's been my experience when shooting 2213's and 2018's...Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline indymark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 09:36:00 AM »
I've used 2219 and 2020 shafts for years.  When I hurt my shoulder I switched to a lighter bow with 2016 shafts, and had more dented shafts than I was accustomed to.  I'm using 2020's again, and things seem back to normal.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 10:26:00 AM »
I've used 2219's a lot in the past, they are about as bomb proof as you'll find in aluminum IMO.  Regarding aluminum, in my experience the thin walled shafts are not near as durable, regardless of spine, as the thicker walled ones.  I reckon a dozen 2219's would out last 2512's about 3 to 1 in actual shooting.

I personally think the compound bow and "thirst for speed" is what opened the door for carbons.  So many compound shooters were shooting 2213's and 2312's to get speed, but they were not very durable.  In came carbon.  If the preferred arrows had remained the 2117's and 2219's everybody used to shoot, the sweep to carbon would have been much slower IMO.

I shoot mostly wood these days, but aluminum remains my preferred alternate.  My current aluminums are mostly 2018's now, and they are quite durable.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 04:39:00 PM »
Used to shoot 2219 out of my recurves for years, they are TUFF. The 2512 may spine the same but the fatter shaft may act stiffer because thecenter of your arrow is farther from the side plate. 2219 any day! I still have a bunch. but there too stiff for my current bows.

Eric

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 04:58:00 PM »
Yup the 2219 has the thicker wall thus making it stronger and the 2512 will act stiffer due to the fat diameter, compound ya would not notice the spine difference, but t6he 2219 is just as tough out of both bows, that is why 2020s are a mean tough arrow, thick wall on those shafts! Shawn
Shawn

Offline KodiakBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 05:13:00 PM »
The most durable arrows are one that hit the target. Hard to break when they hit the backstop all of the time. The most durable for target shooting are X7s with target glue-in points as the skip off objects. I shoot 2213s either broken or straight.

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 05:20:00 PM »
2219 is the stronger of the two, hands down, no contest...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline waterone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 07:04:00 PM »
No reflection on you or the engineer, but I think his frame of reference is a little skewed.  Without knowing what exactly the question, you are he are probably talking about two different things.  In some ways he is right.  Remember, engineers think in long terms, at least most of the civil engineers I know.  He may not be thinking about the impacts that arrows see.  As far as long term stablitty, from a materials standpoint the thinner cylinder of AL will be stiffer longer, able to handle what stresses he estimates.

Practial expereince will tell you that the old thick wall small diameter do what we as archers. need.

BTW, carbons weren't invented as arrows for compounds in "the need for speed" they were invented to find what might have been a superior arrow material. fiberglass was tried and used by Fred Bear, and was a pretty good arrow material.  Anyone remember the old Microflites?  AL just was SO inexpensive. Carbons were "invented" for recurves.  A compound is not an evil device   ;)   At least I I don't think they are.

I'm not an engineer, just have worked with them for nearly 30 years and know how they think. Most of them a pretty doggone good.  ;)

charles

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 07:13:00 PM »
In my experience the closed the wall thickness is to the diameter the tougher the arrow.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2007, 03:16:00 AM »
2219 ALL THE WAY.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline nc recurveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2007, 08:06:00 AM »
I'm shootin 2419's those thing are pretty near explosive proof. I fella was pulling arrows at 3-d this weekend he was putting them thru the torture test and they've all passed so far.
"You can't make chicken salad outta chicken sh.........Poo"

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2007, 11:24:00 AM »
I can lose them both equally fast.  :)

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2007, 01:27:00 PM »
I used to shoot 2512's for field rounds. They'd dimple and dent quite easily. 2219's are much, much stronger.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2007, 02:20:00 PM »
I just switched away from aluminum this year after shooting them for 14 years.  FWIW, I wouldn't use a shaft with the last two digits at less than 16.  They simply wouldn't hold up to my patterns of shooting and hunting.

Your mileage may vary.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2007, 05:06:00 PM »
If target shooting that may be fine but go stump shooting where I do sometime. I shoot carbons and my brother shot aluminum, but not for long. He would go thru 5-7 arrows in a session and I would break one, maybe. I find wood holds up better when a field than aluminum as well! Shawn
Shawn

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2007, 09:04:00 PM »
I shoot swagged 2117's and they are tough and hold up well when stumpshooting and deer hunting.
I definately would favor the 2219's...stronger and more durable.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2007, 09:09:00 PM »
Anything with 16,17,19 or 20 for wall thickness has been tough to beat.
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2007, 09:32:00 PM »
Think you're forgetting 18 there, Arwin. Them 2018's sure make for one tough arrow...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2007, 09:41:00 PM »
Oops my bad! I had forgot the nearly indestructable 2018. Thanks bro! BTW I like the 2018' because they weigh so much. I'm a huge fan of heavy arrows.
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©