3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Quiet bow, suddenly noisy?  (Read 1145 times)

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Quiet bow, suddenly noisy?
« on: February 24, 2007, 12:20:00 PM »
I've been shooting my bow, with exactly the same setup for around 4 months now. Navajo hybrid, 62" 57# drawing a true 28" 14 strand FF+ double loop string fitted with wooly whispers at 9" from the tips, braced at 7-1/2" I shoot 510gn CX Terminators & they fly beatifully! The bow's been deathly quiet all this time, but over the past week or so I've noticed a lot more of a 'Twang' on release.

Any idea what could cause this sudden noise increase & any idea how to get it back to quiet?
Could it just be that I'm just getting more attuned to the bow?
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quiet bow, suddenly noisy?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 12:26:00 PM »
Any chance you need to re-string the bow?

Jeff

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 12:29:00 PM »
Not as far as I can see. The string's in perfect condition, as ie the serving. D'you know, I'm wondering if maybe my drawlength may have increased slightly, addinga few extra pounds to the weight, reducing my arrow/bow poundage. I'll have a quick measure & see.......
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 12:35:00 PM »
Yep, I think that's got it. Just had The Wife measure my drawlenth. It's gone up to 29-1/4" average over 5 pulls. I'll try some extra arrow weights.

Any other suggestions would be more than welcome though!  :)

PBS & TBT Member

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 12:35:00 PM »
robtatoo did you recheck the brace height? Also where are you shooting outside you hear less noise then if you were shooting inside in an enclosed range.My bows are fitted with rubber cat whiskers which I like because even though they are tyed tightly on the string you can still slide them up and down to find the sweetest most quiet spot on your bow. I had some bows that liked 9 inches and others that liked 12 to 13 inches from the end of the strings down towards the nocking point. The only other thing you could watch is your release a bad release is alot noisier than a clean one Make sure your feild points are tight also I put some bow wax on the threads before I tighten them.

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 01:05:00 PM »
If the bow was quiet , then decided to get noisy it most likely is brace height.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 01:36:00 PM »
They do that ever month or two.Time to get a new bow.  :)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 01:43:00 PM »
What Ted said.  If you now have a longer draw, you may need a different brace height.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Bard1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 01:43:00 PM »
first thing I thought was brace hight as well.  The other thing that pop's to mind was from the article on silencing a bow I just read in the Jan/Feb TBM where a guy from blackwidow is quoted as saying he thinks that over time the "goodness" of a string can be shot out.  The solution is to put on a new string.  *shrugs*
Derek
got arrows?

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 02:04:00 PM »
Hmmm. Maybe worth trying the new string. I've checked & re-checked the brace height & it's bang on 7-1/2" as always (I never take the string off the bow, so it can't lose any twists) I'll get another one made up anyway though, just to be sure.

PBS & TBT Member

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 02:11:00 PM »
I also read the TBH article about wearing out a string.  Maybe try a new one, it worked for them....Charlie

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2007, 02:38:00 PM »
Okay, I just fitted the 'Old' string, th original that came with the bow (a 14 strand Flemish FF) Yep, you're all right. Silent as ever. Very odd..... I can only think that I bought a cheap string from an 'online' source  :rolleyes:  & it's just not up to the job. Shame really, I thought I'd stumbled onto a really good supplier too. Ah well, lesson learned. $4 for a string just won't cut it!

PBS & TBT Member

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2007, 06:39:00 PM »
Try a new glove/shooting tab.-ART B

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2007, 06:43:00 PM »
Art has a good point-----I have dropped the whole glove thing in favor of tabs(calfhair), I found that the glove would "work in" and the shots would fly away from me, and I would get this horrible TWANG sound. No gloves for me, thanks....

Jeff

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©