3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: cascade/checkmate any good?  (Read 338 times)

Offline Roger Swalls

• Trad Bowhunter
cascade/checkmate any good?
« on: August 19, 2008, 10:00:00 PM »
Sold my compound, going back traditional, (my first love since 58) looking at a lot of bows. Might buy a long bow from a member, if another guy doesn't buy it, but I've been looking at 56" 50#ish recurves. Like the looks of the Cascades, but can only afford 1 bow. Don't want to make a mistake. Any suggestions? Thanks guys.......Rog

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: cascade/checkmate any good?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 04:01:00 PM »
Cascade/Chekmate same bow same bowyer.  I shoot a chekmate, and I love it.  Shoots just as fast as any bow out there and is smooth to draw.  62" 47#@29" and 60#@29" limbs.  Can't go wrong for the money.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline Roger Swalls

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 05:01:00 PM »
Thanks for the good news. I just talked to Mrs Gorr at Cascade. (Checkmate told me it would be a ten week wait, Cascade must be keeping them busy!) I'm supposed to call them back tomorrow at 7:30 Indiana time to see what they have in stock. I guess Mr Gorr hunts with a 52", and loves it. Mrs Gorr said it was smooth to 30", and would rival any 60" on smoothness of draw, power, and speed. I was looki'n to get a 56" but 'wow', I only have a 28&1/4 draw. Any body else out there shoot a 52"?

Offline cch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 06:34:00 PM »
Roger, I shoot a 52" cascade and it does shoot good. If you are just getting back into shooting recurves I would recomend you go with a longer length. I also have a 58" cascade and it is the same riser as the 56" and it is faster and more a little more forgiving than the 52". Talk to Steve and tell him what you want and he will help you find a bow that fits you. Good luck, Chris.

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 07:53:00 PM »
I love the looks of the Nighthawk and I hope to try one someday.  The Gorr's seem like nice folks and I know that Steve has a wealth of knowledge and experience.  I agree with the above mentioned that 56 or 58" might make for a little more stable (accurate/consistent) platform.  I know that may get me some flack and true enough I haven't shot the Cascade 52".  I find that my 58" recurve gets in any place I want to go well enough.  Whatever you choose it is nice to have you back from the "dark side".  Good hunting.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline Aggie1993

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 08:07:00 PM »
Chekmate bows are solid and probably the best buy for a custom bow.  I have owned four checkmates  (60" Falcon, 56" Hunter, 56" Firebird, 62" Crusader) and Marc, the bowyer, stands behinds his bows and they are fine shooters.
Phil 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

Kempf Trophy Hunter 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 54@28
Kempf Trophy Hunter 58" 51@28

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 08:15:00 PM »
I have a 68" ChekMate Crusader LB and a 62" Hunter II 'curve.  Excellent bows, and great service.  The Crusader was my first bow purchase, and quite frankly, will not leave my stable.  Smooth and friendly.  Marc is top notch.

Great Bows!
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 08:18:00 PM »
I have a 52" Cascade night hawk mag and have a 29" draw and it is a smooth and fast bow.

Offline feve316

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 09:35:00 PM »
I shoot a golden hawk mag 52", and a night hawk mag 52". I love them both, great treestand bows and the saying is true, "they shoot where youre looking".

Offline Panzer II

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 09:40:00 PM »
I have shot alot of different recurves, but NONE could outshoot my Chek-Mate Hunter I. Great Bow

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 09:43:00 PM »
I've heard the 52" Cascade is the most shootable 52" bow made.  I've always been a Widow fan, but that 52" Cascade has always kept my interest.  Maybe I'll get my hands on one someday.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 09:52:00 PM »
I have had a couple 52" Cascades, still have one.  I like this little bow a lot, it will see some "woods" time this fall.
Mel Riley

Offline Peter Arthur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 10:40:00 PM »
My go to bow is my 58" Hunter 2 curve. I've not shot a lot of bows (lefty), but I will say this bow is well made, smooth and a good value for the money. If you're looking for something that is in stock, send me a pm. I know of a shop around here that has a few in the store.

Offline Roger Swalls

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008, 10:56:00 PM »
Thanks a lot guys for the info. I have a much better handle on things now. I don't say a hole lot, but this is a great site, with great people. You can really see the love of archery here. We all have had different experiences, and its great to share and learn. When I was a kid, I hunted with a 64" bear 40# target bow. In 73 I got out of the U.S.M.C. and every body was shooting compounds, and I stepped off in that quagmire. I never did lose my love for a beautiful recurve though. This forum is one reason I am coming back. Shooting a wheel bow just does not compare. I really feel better, or should I say have more real fun with traditional gear. Thanks again guys.....rog   :campfire:

Offline Roger Swalls

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 04:12:00 PM »
Just bought a new chek-mate hunter take down 56" @51# with walnut limbs, babinga handle, two fast flight strings, and quiver inserts (460.00 to the house!)from a place that Peter Arthur turned me on to. Wow, the vendor is a great guy just like Pete said! Hats off to Pete, and to all you guys for all the real skinny on the bows! There's nothing like sharing real experience. Thanks again fellas.....rog.......God Bless  :campfire:    :archer:

Offline JimmyC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2008, 11:14:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  

Now that is what I call getting off on the right foot!

Enjoy!

Jim
"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly."--G.K. Chesterton

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©