3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Picking new bow & carbon arrows  (Read 151 times)

Offline DanSadler

• Trad Bowhunter
Picking new bow & carbon arrows
« on: August 20, 2008, 09:42:00 PM »
I currently have a homemade laminated reflex deflex long bow my father and i made 52# @28" i went to a local pro-shop and got some 30" carbon tech panthers with the excess cut off the tip in  4080 125gr tip they seem to shoot well enough but cant be sure due to the homemade bow wasn't tillered completely strait and has a tendancy  for the limb to twist slightly and accuracy seems to suffer it may be me it may be the bow or it may be the arrows ... the guy at the pro shop finally admitted he doesnt usually handle longbows shortly after cutting all the arrows and charging $85 a half dozen ... are these arrows truely good for my set up or is it the bow and or me .... also im looking at buying a new bow i was looking at the fred bear montana, and the pse legacy in 55# ... which do you think is better and why ... now on to the new arrow selection i was looking at the carbon express rebels in 4560 due to the high gr/inch ... anyone have any experience with them and are they a good choice i thought it may be the way to go since its supposed to be spined from 45-60 lbs and so i dont have to but so many different types of arrows im looking to keep the cost of the arrows down if possible ... i appreciate any help i can get i've been researching this online but i'm going bonkers    :confused:
Freedom ain't free
Support the Armed Forces

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Picking new bow & carbon arrows
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 07:15:00 AM »
go to the sponsors list and click on mohawk bows, great bows for the money, I heard that the pse trad bows were crap(they mainly focus on wheel bows), heard good things about the montana, but for just a little more, you could probably get a good used longbow on here
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 07:17:00 AM »
A bow that is not built correctly will give you problems no matter what arrows you have.  Either bow Bear or PSE are fine. If you can try one out before you buy.  As far as your arrows go they should be fine for now.

When starting off don't worry about where the arrows are hitting.  Slow down and work on your form.  Once you  have your form down and arrows grouping in the same spot then work on the fine tuning.

The Carbon Express arrows are a good choice, and you can not beat the price.

Offline blueline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 11:13:00 AM »
I like the bear Montana also martin make's great trad bows. I would also look at the clasified's and maby get a little better bow if posable. As for the arrws I like what was sugested earlier, shoot the bow, concentrate on your anchor point and release,(hitting the same point automaticly,and a clean smoote release). Then go out and get the new arraws( That is if the ones you have are long enough to get by for now). I personaly like easton axis & full metal jackets as well as Gold tips.
shoot straight

Blueline
Blueline

Mahaska  66" 47 @ 29
Morrison 58" 54 @ 28
Bear grizzly 58" 45@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©