3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thunderstick III ?  (Read 879 times)

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
Thunderstick III ?
« on: August 21, 2008, 04:32:00 PM »
Just ordered me a Thunderstick and had a question for the Gang . After talking with Jim and telling him what I wanted in a bow ( very stable shooting , easy to shoot , speed not top priorty but fast enough , smooth drawing , very forgiving ) he felt as though I was describing the Thunderstick III so thats what I went with over the MOAB . My question is why most people like the MOAB over the Thunderstick III and have you shot both to compare them . I know the MOAB is faster but Im looking for the best shooting of the Two . With 7 months to wait I still could change the order to a MOAB so I guess thats why Im asking . Oh yea the woods will be Osage limbs with bacote riser and tips with bamboo core .

Thanks for your replies in advance ,

Mike
" Live long and prosper "

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thunderstick III ?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 04:50:00 PM »
'Cause the MOAB is supposed to be faster...  
If Jim recommended another bow based on what you told him, I'd go with it.
I've only shot the MOAB and it was a it "rowdy" feeling to me.
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

"short skirts create less drag in the woods..." (Dave Worden)

Offline JimmyC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 05:05:00 PM »
I have shot both bows at various shoots around here and personally prefer the III.  I appreciate it for the same qualities you are describing as "feel" is all important to me and I get that from long riser type designs and smooth limbs usually.  

So, my guess is you will be very happy with the III.  Now if you are really one of those guys who lays awake at night worrying about a few fps, and having "speed conversations" at the bow shop with the guys, than you may want to consider the MOAB, which is also awesome.  :)

Have fun,

Jim
"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly."--G.K. Chesterton

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 05:06:00 PM »
I'd go for the best intersect of speed and forgiveness in a bow. I'd prefer meat in the freezer to missing with the fastest bows. Now some can shoot the fastest bows consistently well in a pressured situation-then I'd go with the fastest probably if I was one of those guys and if it was still pretty quiet. I rank smoothness higher than speed.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 05:12:00 PM »
My first T-stick was a III and really loved it, but ended up trading it back to the original owner to recover a recurve I traded.

Next was the MOAB and it shot about the same to me being very quiet and smooth.  Like others said, both are winners.
Lon Scott

Offline 2-BIG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 08:45:00 PM »
I have shot both and the difference is the pre-load in the MOAB limbs that make it very fast. The III is a slower, smoother, bow since it doesn't have the pre-load. I love my MOAB but would like to own a III some day.
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 10:25:00 PM »
Just shoot my T-stick III I find it one of my go to bows. Plenty fast and very smooth just plain like the bow.

DD

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 11:21:00 PM »
I love the MOAB but i like preload ,all of jims bows are works of art.And the MOAB is very fast and quiet.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 11:41:00 PM »
I had a 62 inch MOAB and enjoyed it alot.I had shot the Thunderstick 111 when he 1st came out with it years ago.I liked it from the 1st shot.I have always wanted one but never could find one 2nd hand in my budget or in the right poundage

Well i finally scored one about a week ago.64 inches and about 50#s at my draw.Anyway it is like i remembered fortunatly.Dead in the hand and stable.It has a unique feel to it for me.I am shooting some real nice groups with it.I really like everthing about it.It proves to be a quiet bow as well.

Been awhile since I had my MOAB.I have not shot then side by side.My impression is that the MOAB is faster and that the T-Stick 111 might be better for the money shot.Both are sweet though any way you slice it.

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 02:51:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys , I think the Thunderstick III is what Im sticking with . Jim said it was about the easiest longbow to shoot that you will find and thats what I need for sure .

Mike

Online Warchild

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 03:21:00 PM »
One of my first bows was A Thunderstick II and I loved it. If the III is faster than my II you wont have any issues. The II was plenty.

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 12:12:00 PM »
Only shot the MOAB, Excellent Bow,, Also, what does "rowdy" mean ??

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 09:18:00 PM »
I've shot probably half dozen 60 inch MOABs.....all were the same.

Smooth draw, no hand shock, quiet, and yes fast...as fast as some recurves I own.  I've never had a problem taking game with any of mine as they seem to hit the mark better than me.

I have shot one 62"er, and it wasn't the same feel to me, the total package was in the 60 incher.

If there's any way you can shoot either before your due date, that would be great.

I"ve never shot the TStick III....but have no doubts is a well built shootable bow.  And by its design and Jim's recomendation, it would be more forgiving.  How much, I don't know, and that would depend on the shooter as well.

Nice choice for a bowyer either way.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2008, 11:06:00 PM »
I have a MOAB and a III. The III is a longer riser and sweet shooter. I think Jim is right that the 3 is a little more forgiving design and plenty fast enough. You will be glad you followed his advice.

Offline Jim Parsell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 11:57:00 PM »
I have owned both bows and favor the III over the MOAB..  My groups are much tighter and the III is more forgiving for me..  Jim

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2008, 09:39:00 AM »
OK guys......cut it out....or I'll have to order a III.   :knothead:    :D
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2008, 03:19:00 PM »
Go ahead and get you a III Terry , that will give you something to look forward to 7 months from now . Ive seen some of your kill pics with your MOAB and if the III more forgiving than your MOAB them Deer better look out if you git a III in your hands  ( LOL ).

Mike

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2008, 05:22:00 PM »
Gotta say this BOTH Great bows! I shot a 60# ThunderStick III at Pequest Valley Archery  with a torn rotater cuff and felt NO PAIN drew back smooth as a babies behind [all boo limbs]I usually shoot 47# to 50# bows[with the bad shoulder] but that III was NICE! The MOAB is also a great bow too BUT I like the III better.Just my 2cents.

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2008, 08:51:00 PM »
Did folks try these bows in the different lengths by any chance? What length did you get Brittman?
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2008, 08:56:00 PM »
Curveman , I ordered my bow so it wont be ready untill March . It will be 62 in . long  , 50 lbs @ 28 in. , woods will be Osage / Bacote with Bamboo Core .

Mike

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©