3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bought bow for friend (damaged)  (Read 332 times)

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bought bow for friend (damaged)
« on: August 21, 2008, 06:29:00 PM »
I just got an older Schakespeare Wonderbow that I bought online for a friend.  He lives just outside of Albany, NY and I'm trying to get him to give up the compound and take up trad archery.  He seems very interested, so I am trying to prod him with this bow.  Problem is I told him that I got this bow and now that it arrived I can see that the belly lamination on the lower tip is gone and bow ends are starting to delaminate.  

The bow wasn't very expensive, and I didn't want to spend a great deal since I wasn't sure of the poundage and length that he would end up shooting.  The length is 66" and it is 45" at 28".  He probably draws around 29-30".

Here are some pics.

My questions are as follows:
1.  Can this be fixed?
2.  If so, roughly how much will it cost and would I be better off looking for another inexpensive bow-although I don't have alot to spend on it?

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bought bow for friend (damaged)
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 06:36:00 PM »
Where exactly is your friend located?
Brian
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 06:57:00 PM »
Well, he just moved from East Berne in the Helderbergs and I haven't seen in a couple of months, so I don't know the exact location.  I do know it is about 30 minutes drive from the Albany Medical Center.  I was going to ask him for his new address after I got the bow to send it to him.

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 07:00:00 PM »
I've repaired worse, but in my oppinion the bow is not worth the trouble.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 07:03:00 PM »
How handy are you with tools?  You could saw off the tips and re-work them.  Go slow, take it a little at a time.  Form a plan and think through it.  It is going to add a few pounds to the pull but it is do-able and some here can instruct you on the 'how to' part better than I.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 07:06:00 PM »
Not necessarily the most handy, unless it comes to duct tape.  Wish I was though.  I also don't have much in the line of tools for the job.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 07:07:00 PM »
Dano, thanks for the honesty.  Not worth it because it an inexpensive bow or for other reasons?

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 08:31:00 PM »
IMO the bow isn't worth the extra investment, don't get me wrong Shakespeare made a good bow, not a Bear or a Pearson but a nice shooter. I just wouldn't throw good money after bad.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 08:42:00 PM »
I agree with Dano it's not worth investing more money in it to repair.
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 09:00:00 PM »
Pat is your friend a lefty?
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »
Larry,
No, unfortunately he is a righty.  If he were a lefty I would gladly let him try one of mine.  Maybe a little heavy to start, but he is a pretty strong guy.  

Dano,
Don't worry.  No offense taken.  I'd always rather hear the truth.  That is what I suspected anyhow.  I just thought I was getting a shootable bow at a good price.  Certainly wouldn't have gotten it if I had known the damage.  The bow was misrepresented (surprised?), but it was so inexpensive that it's scarcely worth forcing this issue with shipping costs what they are.

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 10:46:00 PM »
Pat, if you want to try to repair it yourself, you could try this. Use an exacto knife to get in and scrap as much old glue out between the lams, without damaging the lams. Then get some smooth on 2 part glue,  http://www.3riversarchery.com/Product.asp?c=49&s=199&p=0&i=4458  and glue it up, wrap it with some bicycle inner tube as a clamp system. Then just a little finish work.

Offline TNstickn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 11:55:00 PM »
Might try a very thin CA glue and let it run down in between all the cracks then clamp together. Carve you some new limb tip overlays for the back and belly side as close as you can get to a perfect fit, then Gel CA into place and clamp. Sand and file string grooves using the old ones as a guide. Then finish over all with the thin CA again. This might hold up for enough shooting to get your buddy interested enough to make a small investment in a bow in huntable condition. Pad those loops and use a B-50 string might help to last a few shots longer. Two bottles of CA (1thin/1gel), sand paper, string file,clamp,new string,50-60 bucks or so. When it wont shoot hang'er on the wall!! Like Dano said might wanna invest that money in a shooter if you dont want to invest the time and GAS in hustling up the supplies. Best of luck, -Greg
Pick a spot.>>>>-------> Shoot straight.

Offline gsdmikko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 07:24:00 AM »
Sent you PM
Follow Your Dreams
" It's better to die Livin'
  Than live Dyin "

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2008, 08:27:00 AM »
What Dano said

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline slabsides

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2008, 10:15:00 AM »
Brownell, the gunsmith supply co. in Iowa has a product, available in most gun stores, called 'Accraglas'. There are a couple of versions, a gel and a more liquid style which can get into the finest cracks and is great for regluing broken gunstocks etc. Don't know why it wouldn't work on the bow lams here. It can wick into the space between lams better than CA, I think. Brownell has a web site, if it can't be bought in a local gun/sport emporium. Worth a try, and well under fifty bucks.
The Wise said: "This cannot be done." The Fool came, and did it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©