3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Full tapered timber shafts anyone...?  (Read 841 times)

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
Full tapered timber shafts anyone...?
« on: August 22, 2008, 09:11:00 AM »
Hi all,

I was just thinking today if anyone uses or has done in the past, full length tapered shafts that would run from a 23/64 point end to 5/16 nock end?

A bit like the Arrow Dynamics tapered carbons I guess. From my goldfish memory I think there called a "rat tail" taper. Again I'm not sure.

I like the idea of a footed shaft in that taper and from what the good Doc tells us it'll be bang on in regards to blowen through critters!

Many thanks,

AK.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Full tapered timber shafts anyone...?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 10:09:00 AM »
Been thining about that myself. Has anyone tried this?
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of Tennessee

"just remember, you can't put the wood back on"

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 10:12:00 AM »
They would be the ultimate in tapered wood shafting. Don't know of any manufacture doing it. Just an FYI, Arrows Dynamics shafts are only tapered about 2/3rds of their length. The front 8-9" is parallel.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 10:14:00 AM »
Al:
The "rat tail" taper has been around for many a moon, however it was never considered the best taper in regard to the arrow response to paradox. the Breast and barrel taper were the best in that regard. But Howard Hill used the rattail taper quite a lot, tapering a 3/8" diameter shaft to 5/16" so who knows! The problem with that type of taper is they would be very difficult to manufacture without very specialized equipment, or done by hand like Howard did them.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 03:10:00 PM »
Thanks all for your input. I'm a timber shaft kinda fella and I thought this shaft would be a good line in someone's catalogue if they could taper 'em with ease.

I might try and taper a set and see what happens.

AK.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 03:32:00 PM »
Mother Nature manufactures that shaft... it's called "the shoot" and can be found in any hardwood or cane stand  :)

I have a mess of primo 3/8" birch dowels I'd been intending on reducing to 11/32"... maybe I'll taper 'em instead.

Bob, I would thing a rat tail taper would be better in recovering from paradoz than a barrel taper?
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 04:24:00 PM »
I agree.  This does sound interesting and I can't imagine that it would be worse for paradox than a barrel taper.

Seems like you should be able to use one of the tapering jigs I've seen people make/use on this site for tapering the rear.  You'd just have to make them 28 to 30 inches long depending on your draw length.  

Two sided tape and some angle iron, but where would you get 30 inch strips of sandpaper?  You'd almos have to cut up a sanding belt!

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 05:09:00 PM »
That is how I make my homemade ash shafts. I start with a 3/8 dowel and sand all but the first 2 inches till I get my desired spine. They are not a perfect taper and I only like to go down to 11/32 or so because I tend to use selfnocks. They fly great out of my selfbows and my pronghorn. I hope they will aid in penetration as the good Dr notes.

My first trial this hunting season was a success. I blew thru a doe antelope at 20yrds.

Offline hoot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 05:32:00 PM »
i also use 3/8  and leave a 8 inch taper on the point end , and run it after that at 11/32 the rest of the shaft . takes about 20 lbs of spine off and they shoot great . i can shoot 90 lb spine out of my bamboo backed osage static at 60 lbs, with this arrow type . h
i had a friend once,, but he died.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 05:42:00 PM »
MM, buy a 'shop roll' of 80 grit paper.  I think my roll is 100'.
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 08:56:00 PM »
Jeremy:
I suggest you pick up a copy of "Target Archery" written by Dr. Robert Elmer.1943 He goes into great detail on arrow tapers. His research proved that the breast taper was the quickest recovering shaft with the barrel taper second, the rat tail was dead last only beating the parallel shaft.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 09:07:00 AM »
I'd like to see some high speed footage on that.

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 02:14:00 PM »
I know a guy that makes em.  He has a hardwood business and they make em out of all kinds of woods for their own use.  I talked to him a few months back about making them in production.  My only concern would be you would have to make em to length.  I'll try and see where he has went with this.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2008, 03:17:00 PM »
Thanks mate. I like the idea of this shaft the more I think of it.

Offline m laughlin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 05:44:00 PM »
al i had same idea about two years back. so i made up 3. i just used a block plane and sand paper. mine ended up 23/64 at the point and tapered down to 9/32 at the nock. i lost to much spine for the bows i had. i gave them to a buddy who was shooting around 60# and they flew great. now you got me thinking of footing some shafts and tring it again. good luck. i would suggest maybe 20# over spine before you start but that is just an inexperianced guess.
matt
"what your eyes ain't seen, your hands ain't touched,and your life ain't done ain't always safe for such easy judgement."-C.M. Sackett

Offline Auzoutdoor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2008, 06:59:00 PM »
Hi Al all the wood arrows I make now are tapered like that.I was barrelling them but it is a prob with turning the arrow around in my taper jig so now I just foot the front 9 inches and then taper it full length.I think any probs with paradox can be tuned out when you make your own and it dose get FOC right up there.
Cheers KIM
Australian Outdoor and Archery

Offline stump man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2008, 10:55:00 PM »
I did about 800 of em a couple months ago for a fella whom owns an archery shop in Bend. They were old Acme POC spined 70-75 lbs he had on hand. They lost on average 30 lbs and ended up in the 40-45 lbs range.

As for shootablility  and performance, I don't know.  You would have to ask him.

stump

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2008, 09:38:00 AM »
Hmmmm, I did not think that tapering like the abouve would remove some much spine. I shoot bows from 63# and up so I'd have to fine some rather stiff shafts to start with.

AK.

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2008, 09:19:00 AM »
Al,

3/8 shafts are usually pretty high in spine.  If you start with something like that it should give you plenty of room.

Offline Skinny Little Runt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2008, 10:12:00 AM »
I start with 100 lb spine and after taper I'll get 70-80. the finished weight 600gs +. thats with hard wood.
"It ain't over till it's over"....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©