3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Theoretical Carbon Question  (Read 1062 times)

Offline tmccall

• Trad Bowhunter
Theoretical Carbon Question
« on: February 24, 2007, 06:45:00 PM »
If, in theory, a guy wanted to try carbon arrows for this years 3D Season to try to gain an increase in accuracy and if this imaginary individual was currently shooting cedar arrows spined 50-55# that are 29" BOP (for a 50# bow)... What would be the best carbon arrow to use?  How do you get the weight of said arrow to match the weight of your hunting arrows?
Tony McCall

Jesus.  There is no other name...  Acts 4:12

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Theoretical Carbon Question
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 07:23:00 PM »
tmccall let me just say I am new to these carbon arrows.I have shot aluminum for years I guess to me they were "easy" if youget my drift.Once you find the size you need whalla your set. I fooled around with woodys for a short time but always came back to the aluminums.I couldn't get the same accuracy out of the woodys I was using and they seemed like a lot more work.Buy some arrows go through them straighten etc etc. The last time I went to my buds trad shop he gave me a full length 35/55 gold tip traditionalwood grain full length shaft to try out of my 52# bow. My present bow shoots 1916 and 2016 aluminums equally accurately depending on the weight I put up front my groups are very very good with this bow of mine.However when I shoot that carbon into the mix it is always without a doubt closer to the bullseye.I guess the moral of the story is next season or even this spring turkey season I will be shooting carbons.By the way these Gold tip carbons are American made From what I understand they are being made in Mexico now?.So these are the only ones I shoot and boy I like them.I have seen that a lot of folks here shoot AXIS don't have any knowledge of these or any others .I hope I could help you a little. Bentpole

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 09:20:00 PM »
Carbons are the way to go leave them long and try diffrent tip weight and then cut .5 and inch till you get an arrow to fly good then you will have a good arrow that will be right on and easy to shoot do not forget to buy 150 to 250 grain tips they work big foc and weight tubes killer combo  :readit:
Gord

Offline southernarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 04:59:00 AM »
I shoot almost exactally what you speak of.I shoot 49#@27 and my wood arrows are 50-55's 28 3/4"with 125gn points.They fly like darts.I just started recently with carbons.I got some carbon express heritage150's.First got them to bareshaft perfect with 125gn glue-on points,42gn long alumi glue-on adapter,anf the factory 12gn alumi insert.I will look again when I get home,but I believe they were cut to 30 5/8".My wood arrows weigh in at 512gn,the carbons set up this waty weighed 534gn.

Now I didn't notice until after I got them flyin good that some of the rest of the dozen were shorter.I ended up  cutting 1/2" off of the length and changed the glue-on adapter to a 75gn steel one.They bareshafted a little weak,so I am going to try some broadheads to see what they say,if they say weak,then I'll have to cut a little more off,probably a 1/4".

I'll look when I get home and post up the actual lenght they were,I wrote it down.

Good Luck,
          Mike
"We do this for fun, but we aren't playing"

Offline southpawshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 08:56:00 AM »
From a previous thread -

Carbon Express Thunderstorms - they're a youth arrow and come 29" long. Real inexpensive and fly very well outta lighter bows. They're 8.4 grains/inch, so you're starting out with a good weight. I've shot them in bows from 37# to 54#. If you have a Gander Mountain nearby they are relabeled for them as Whitetail Hunters - in the 3050 spine.

Also, when cutting carbons I'd recommend cutting only 1/4" at a time.  Carbons have a tendency to stiffen up quick and when they do it can be very difficult to bring them back with point weight.    Carbons are a different animal, and I find that it can take as much as 50 grains point weight to make a difference.
Scott F >>--->   @

"if the wood don't fly the bunny don't die" - Stone Knife, JLMBH 2008

Proud member of Team Pink

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 08:59:00 AM »
Well I tell ya I think the imaginary friend should then find an imaginary glass bow to shoot the carbons unless they are a minimum of 8 grains per pound.  Since the current bows he shoots are "all natural" the arrows shot in class should be "all natural"

LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 09:44:00 AM »
:bigsmyl:  Sounds like Mike knows your freind too.  ;)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline T-Mac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 06:32:00 PM »
Get him mike!! But he loves those all natural bows!!! So do I!!
Slow down and enjoy life.  It's not only the scenery you
miss by going too fast - you also miss the sense of where
you are going and why.
-   Eddie Cantor

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 09:55:00 PM »
Sounds like someone is tryin to come out.. well you know..  :bigsmyl:
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline tmccall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 11:45:00 PM »
You got me there Wingnut!  LOL  Just trying to find a little competitive edge so I can stay a few points ahead of my old man...  he's constantly nipping at my heels!   :D
Tony McCall

Jesus.  There is no other name...  Acts 4:12

Offline T-Mac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2007, 12:30:00 AM »
Somebody has got to keep him on his toes. Besides he forgets who taught him in the first place. This could be a real exciting summer at the 3d shoots.
Slow down and enjoy life.  It's not only the scenery you
miss by going too fast - you also miss the sense of where
you are going and why.
-   Eddie Cantor

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2007, 09:02:00 AM »
If it;s just a matter of staying ahead of the "Old Man", move his nock,,,, always worked for me..  :biglaugh:

Otherwise,,, "Dooooooon't dooooooo iiiiiiit".......  :D
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©