3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why I hunt...  (Read 2530 times)

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Why I hunt...
« on: February 24, 2007, 09:02:00 PM »
As many of you know, I am a relative newcomer to the trad world. I have hunted since I was old enough to tag along with my dad though. Small Game, big game, I soaked it all in. My dad had some simple rules. Hit what you shoot at to put the animal down quickly. Use what you harvest...dont kill anything without reason.
I've had the privelage to hunt with my father and older brothers many many times. About ten years ago, Dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. The years since then have been a roller coaster of emotional highs and lows. My wife and I moved in to help any way we could, and for four years eeked out an existance, so that we could be there for my parents. Eventually, we had no choice but to place my father. Watching the man who taught me most of what I know virtually disappear before my eyes, and my mother's heart break each day is by far the hardest thing I have ever done.
Sorry to drag all of this into it, but I felt that those who read this could enderstand better if they knew these facts...
Why I hunt... it was instilled in me at a young age. The love of the wilderness and the animals. For me, harvesting an animal doesnt make, or break a hunt. With each step, memories of years past flood my mind. Times with dad...times alone when I proudly came home with my quarry to be greated by his smile and handshake. Hardly an instant goes by when I am not walking beside my father in one way or another. The more I explore, the more memories are triggered. I feel at peace, at home in the world my father introduced me to.
JLMBH was my second introduction to traditional archery, and I loved every second of it. The first occurred years ago, when my father showed me it was actually possible to hit something with that dusty old recurve. Eventually I moved on to compounds, the path of many bowhunters. Im back to trad now, and getting better every day. Now it is my compound that gathers dust. Every time I nock an arrow, or walk the woods, Im with my dad. Anything else that happens is just a bonus.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why I hunt...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 09:38:00 PM »
I hear you brother I sent you a PM.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 09:52:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing that Jamie, we owe a lot of gratitude to those who put us on to this lifestyle and its good to see people give them tribute.

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 10:05:00 PM »
Thank you, Jamie. Thank you. Not just for helping me understand more about you, but for restoring my faith in my own father. Thank you...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 10:19:00 PM »
True, very true!! Thats my bud!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 10:35:00 PM »
Thank You, I am privilaged to hunt with my Dad often.  It was one reason I moved back to MO.  I tailed him from the time I could walk, and he NEVER, NEVER said no I could not come along.  I owe him alot.

I am new to trad myself, I cannot find a better lot of people to call friends.

Scott
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Offline buck-tamer00

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 10:37:00 PM »
i've never hunted with my dad once, so i dont know wat ut feels like,
always done it on my own or with a friend.
I belive kids are the future....unless we stop'em now!!!!!!!

elchen recurve bow 47lb @28"

Offline Benha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 09:19:00 AM »
My son and I hunt together almost exclusivly. I took him as soon as he could walk. He is now the father of a two year old girl and five month old boy. We will be taking her this year. And the beat goes on and on....

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 09:52:00 AM »
Amen Jamie...my experience with my dad is a lot like yours.He's in the advanced stages of Parkinsons and watching this man who taught me so much,and who I admire greatly,getting worse all the time breaks my heart.But I credit him for getting me interested in archery when I was small and it has led me to meeting people like you and many others here.Wish I could write as good as you...you sum up so much in a paragraph or two.It's an honor to be among so many great folks..thanks.

Offline Kenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 10:49:00 AM »
I agree 100%.  That is a good, moving story.

-Ken

Offline southpawshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 11:03:00 AM »
Very well said Jamie.
Scott F >>--->   @

"if the wood don't fly the bunny don't die" - Stone Knife, JLMBH 2008

Proud member of Team Pink

Offline thefirehuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2007, 11:19:00 AM »
Nice tribute and relationship your both lucky to have the memories to put to words. It is truly a gift. Ive wished for such, it is a gift to share.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2007, 02:20:00 PM »
Thanks all, just something I had to put down in words...hard to explain why. I knew you guys would get it though.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2007, 05:26:00 PM »
You have a warm and loving heart Jamie. That is a Wonderful Thing!

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2007, 09:26:00 PM »
Thanks Mike....when we going hunting buddy?
                         -Jamie

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2007, 10:04:00 PM »
You tore me up Jamie...... I too am a new convert from the dark side of the archery force. I hunted with my father at a young age and was taught the same basic principles. i too have watched my father slip away over the last ten years from another form of disease all together.i wont go into it bro....i feel your pain and joy alike. i started my daughter with her first bow at 4 years old. unlike my own father, that was a one weekend a year rifle hunter, my duaghter has learned the true meaning of woodsmanship. She is 20 years old now and still hunts with me every year, but never carries a tag or bow while hunting. We climb mountains together and while i stalk game with her by my side, she chooses to use her camera instead of a bow. I respect that. But when Dad harvests a buck, she's still by my side with her sleeves rolled up! the field dressing is the down side of the sucsessful hunt, the kill the least important, but a necessary part of the responsibilty we all have as hunters and eaters of meat. I have taught her to highly respect the game we hunt and harvest, and give thanks to the Lord, and to the animal itself for providing food for our table.

My heart aches for you, but with a smile also. Cherrish those walks in the mountains with your Dad as long as you live. i hope some day my daughter will do the same.....for the wilderness and the mountains is where i belong and always will be.....one day.... many years from now i sincerely hope, i too shall fade into the hills.....In my heart i know my daughter will climb our favorite mountain again with me in her memories and still in her spirit. My ashes and my beat up old bow will be left behind when she makes her ascent......Let who shall ever find that bow take a part of my spirit with him, and let it serve him well as it did me......

I'm with you Jamie.....Nuff Said....Kirk

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2007, 05:15:00 AM »
My father was the one that started me wanting to hunt although he never even shot a bow he brought me home an old longbow that a guy he worked with gave him. I'll bet when he gave me that he had no idea what an impact that one moment in time would have on me and now my son his grandson. It's a fathers job to steer there children in the right direction and Jamie it appears that your father has done a great job with you. I'm sure down the road you will be that kind of father too. My father has alzheimer's now  i could see the signs over the years but it was just in the past year that his doctor came out and said it was so. It's very sad to see someone you love begin to forget every thing without even realizing it.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2009, 09:15:00 PM »
Looking forward to hunting with you again soon Dad...

Found this, and was amazed at all I have learned in the last couple of years. I owe all of you, Trad Gang, a thank you. I think Im closer to being the hunter my dad wanted me to be with the amazing knowledge I have learned through this site.

My father is still alive, and sometimes you can see he is in there- when his eyes shine like they did when he was smiling or laughing. We bring him home now and then. He has met and held my son...gently and correctly, which for someone in his condition is rather amazing. Anyway, one time on one of the home visits, I showed him one of his old recurve(a Shakespeare) and my longbow. Both set up, ready to hunt. He smiled and gently touched the strings with three fingers...smiled some more and nodded his head. I shot a few arrows for him, even managed to hit well. That seemed to make his day. He smiled alot that day after watching those arrows fly.

Not sure why I brought this to the top. I guess I needed to remind myself of the important things in life. I also needed to thank all of you for the answers, support and generousity that makes this place so special. I think if Dad could have, he would have made himself right at home here...

Thank you all.

And thank you Dad for all you have shown me, and continue to show me. I will do my best to show your grandson all of it. I think he is already, like you, and archer at heart...
                         -Jamie

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 10:24:00 PM »
:campfire:    :coffee:

Offline mscampbell75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2009, 10:30:00 PM »
Good story, make me want to call Dad and thank him for introducing the outdoors to me.

My parents were divorced when I was young.  He moved around some as did we (me, mom and stepdad), never living closer that 1hr away until I was in high school.  When I was 15yo he took me hunting for the 1st time, and we have been hunting together ever since.  Hunting has been our bond.  I now have 4yo twins, I bought them lifetime hunting license before they turned 1yo. I hope one day they can too have fond memories of days in the field with their old man.
Psalm 86:11   Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

Black Creek Banshee T/D  49#@28
Iron Mountain R/D Longbow  53#@28
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©