3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2 fletch  (Read 770 times)

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
2 fletch
« on: August 23, 2008, 06:52:00 PM »
a post on another forum got me to thinkin and tinkerin today, using 2 fletches on my cedars. Done a couple arrows up today and was quite impressed with the results so far. Havent got to the broadhead testing yet. Anyone, or rather who here, shoots 2 fletch and your opinions or thoughts? Being the penny pincher I am(4 kids), I'm liking the reduced cost in feathers  :D

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2 fletch
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 07:04:00 PM »
we need pics bro. i think they would fly just as good with a broadhead as they do with field point.  :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 07:38:00 PM »
Talked to Gordy at Selway Archery a few years back about that.  He had been doing it for several years on the AD Trads that he was shooting.  He liked em', I just never got around to trying them.  Curious to see what you find. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 09:00:00 PM »
I tried a few 5"-2 fletch, even have a couple 4" fluflu that are 2 fletched.
I like 'em.
I need a jig that'll give a bit more helical though, I think that would make them a bit better.
Come to think of it at 5.5" you could likely trim them down a bit and make them more quiet AND cross wind resistant...
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline short slugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 09:11:00 PM »
I now use 2 fletch, 5 inch trad. slight right helical...fly great, take up less space on a mini quiver set-up, costs less, chrono at 4 fps. faster. A good clean look!
Tony!

Offline Teacher_of_the_Arcane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 09:24:00 PM »
Hi All,

Since I have four dozen shafts waiting to become arrows, I'm all ears!!
Lobo Lohr -- Old School Hunter

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 10:57:00 PM »
The Cherokee used to make two fletch arrows, if I'm not mistaken.

So how are you guys positioning them relative to the nock - parallel to it? at right angles to it? something fancy?

Offline upatree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 11:13:00 PM »
Can someone please post some pics?  I really need to see them to make a mental note.
Treat others as you would want to be treated.

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 12:39:00 AM »

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 12:48:00 AM »
If you like the 2 feather fletchings try the "Bitzneburger secert" set. It's a standard option on the bitz jig, you end up with 4 feathers, 2 on each side of the arrow. Supper stable and just as fast as a standard 3 feather set. BTW you can adjust for feather drag by using lower profile shorter feathers. A standard flu flu is too slow for some small game but a set of 4 inch parabolic fetched in 6 instead of 3 is just right. and it dramatically reduces distance traveled by the arrow.
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 12:52:00 AM »
Several Amazonian and African indigenous peoples fletch there arrows by splitting the shaft and inserting a tough, hart shaped leaf producing a 2 fletch that takes seconds.
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 11:29:00 AM »
I have shot 2 fletch on occasion with good results. I may try it again soon, this time with two 5 1/2 inch high backs. It should fly well. After all, how many wings are there on a plane?

Rick, I'll bet those arrows with the split shaft and leaf aren't very effective outside 10 yards. That's okay though since they don't have much invested other than their time.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 11:41:00 AM »
I have 6 cane arrows I made this year that are 2 fletched and they are all that will be in my quiver this fall. I have been playing with the Cherokee 2 fletch and have modified them to suit me. Two arrows in my quiver are modified Cherokee style and the other 4 are my hybrid style. All of the arrows have stone points and fly very well.
  I can't post pics here but I can e-mail pics to someone if they want to see my arrows and post them here.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2008, 11:47:00 AM »
Id love to see em and post em for you.

I sent my email in a pm

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2008, 11:54:00 AM »
Those are really neat looking.  Do you orient the broadhead with the feathers, or perpendicular to them - if you have a singleblade broadhead?

It looks different, and definately something I'll tinker with in the next few weeks.
Support the sport!

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2008, 12:40:00 PM »
Her's Pat B's pics. Awesome arrows there Pat!

heres the one I missed

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2008, 01:34:00 PM »
Thanks for posting them Trapper. The last pic I sent you were the same 2 Cherokee style(not shown here) after I cut the width down a little to reduce noise. I don't know if the flutter of feathers will scare deer or not but it does bother me a bit. The arrows still fly the same.    Pat
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2008, 02:16:00 PM »
i missed that one when I downloaded, sorry. I'll add it in a minute. I done some "testing" today using broadheads(zwickey no mercy's) and I am quite pleased. I may have to make a permanent switch.  :D  

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2008, 02:17:00 PM »
that was typical at 20 yds w/ broadheads, when I done my part  ;)

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2008, 04:17:00 PM »
On my 2 fletch I hand tie the feathers and put a 90deg helical on them. This really helps the modern and Cherokee style 2 fletch fly well. You will also notice that with the Cherokee style the feathers are mounted up side down on the shaft(back of the feather facing inward towards the shaft). They fly way better this way.     Pat
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©