3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Gettin ready for bowseason  (Read 636 times)

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
Gettin ready for bowseason
« on: August 23, 2008, 07:13:00 PM »
I loaded up the tractor and bushogand 3 ladderstands in the dark this morning. I found three likely spots to start out with on the a new property I just got. The new ladders are easy to carry! AND, I can walk them up the tree without anyone standing at the base to keep the legs from kickiing out. Cool. I didn't secure them but carried each in and leaned it up against the tree I wanted. I'll tie em in tomorrow.

I started bushogging the old skidder trails, trying to find a way thru from one side to the other. I get on the back side of the place and it starts raining. Hard. Next, I  get the dang tractor stuck. High centered on a stump. I'm sitting there with all 4 wheels spinning in the air. Pouring rain and since I don't know where the truck is, I can't cut across so I have to walk all the way back out the path I just cut, go back to the house and get a come-a-long and a long rope. Go back, two gates each way, and carry all that stuff back in there cause I can't get the truck past the 1st clearing yet. The rope is a big yellow job that I don't even know where it came from but it looks strong. It's a stinkin mountain climbers rope! It STRETCHES! After two tries, and anyone who has ever used a come-a-long knows how much fun they are, I walk BACK to the truck where I realize I have two 15,000 lb racthet straps that I use to tie the tractor down on the trailer. I carry those two big boogers all the way back in, tie them together and after about an hour of pulling, I get the tractor loose. Keep in mind it's raining like a banshee the whole time. It hasn't rained here in 3 months!
I drive the tractor back and load it on the trailer with no problems. The road going out is red clay and it's like driving on snot. I still have my street tires on for the summer and with no traction, I'm sliding all over the place pulling that heavy ass tractor when I finally hit a spot where the front wheels just don't turn and I slide off the road. High centered the truck now. The tailgate ramps won't go down on the trailer cause they're too close to the ground. I'm pissed by now so I back the tractor off anyway and bend the **** out of one of my ramps. Hook the tractor to the truck and pull it back into the road, load the tractor back up on the trailer, which is a trick in itself cause the bent ramp is sticking up at a 20 degree angle. Tie the %&$^#% down again, everything is COVERED in the red clay mud. The bent ramp won't go up so I use the come-a-long to tie it up enough that it won't drag.I get back to the house and know that if I don't get all of that clay off before it dries it will be like concrete. So I'm standing in the yard with a water house in a downpour, washing the clay off of the tractor, then the trailer, then the truck.I'm cold, tired and hungry. Haven't eatin anything since 5:30 am...a bowl of raisnin bran. I come in here and turn on the computer and find that my friends have been playing around on the email all frekin day while I'm out there tryin to be a good bowhunter.Sheesh..........
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gettin ready for bowseason
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 07:34:00 PM »
Time flies...!!  :bigsmyl:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 07:47:00 PM »
As much of a PITA as that was....I bet you enjoyed it. I'm sure you were frustrated, but nothing like getting your own property ready for huntin' season! I won't know that feeling for a long long time.

-Charlie

Or maybe you are really just pi--ed cuz it turned into a fiasco!   :banghead:

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 08:07:00 PM »
only you bud,only you.....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 08:15:00 PM »
some days are just like that

Offline john1271

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 08:30:00 PM »
all that trouble will fade away when your in one of those stands watching the sunrise and sunset  :)
black creek banshe 41#@28 60"god bless and have a red letter day...

Offline rabbitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 08:42:00 PM »
Sounds like a heck of a day Bigster....and I thought you didn't go anywhere without a supply of emergency donuts stashed in your truck.

Offline Son of Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 09:13:00 PM »
Well glad you made it out with out a major accident    :thumbsup:  and you got some much needed rain.   :thumbsup:   Oh I've been in those kind of situations before they will really try your patience. Good luck on getting ready for bow season.

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 09:46:00 PM »
And I thought that kind of stuff only happened to me...

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline upatree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 09:49:00 PM »
I have had days like that.  It always works out.

It's amazing what we do to go hunting.
Treat others as you would want to be treated.

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 10:02:00 PM »
Guess you could take up golf, I hear it is really relaxing!  :bigsmyl:
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 10:12:00 PM »
High-centered twice in one day?
Do I have to say it?

Killdeer  :biglaugh:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 10:21:00 PM »
Keep up the good work Biggie,  :rolleyes:    :goldtooth:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline pine nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2008, 10:22:00 PM »
They ought to make a T-shirt for that!  Enjoyed your story and had to chuckle a bit.  I thought I was the only one that kind of thing happened to.  All that trouble, I hope means that you have paid your dues and will kill a bigun there!

Offline KPaul

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 10:31:00 PM »
Great story.Had a similar experience in a mudhole with an atv,but your story beats mine.   :notworthy:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Men occasionally stumble over the truth,but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.

Offline baretraks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2008, 10:50:00 PM »
timber company is getting ready to come in on my parents place and cut the trees..... wish they'd hurry up so I can get ready myself!!
" Life is hard. It's even harder if your stupid."
-John Wayne

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2008, 10:56:00 PM »
Golf, that was rich! Biggie playing golf, one of those images that stick in your mind ... as if the swimming with bucks in you under ware was not bad enough.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2008, 05:04:00 AM »
HaH!  It was another great outdoor experience :-)
That's the kind of thing that makes the end result soooooo sweet!
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2008, 07:57:00 AM »
Biggie been there done that.Had five nice size trees across some trails we cut yesterday,chain saw problems,snake problems,camp stove problems and others.I still love it ,a labor of love to do what I  really love in a month.Kip

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2008, 08:17:00 AM »
Lol - now that's a great story.  Sorry you had such a crappy day, but thanks tons for sharing.

:biglaugh:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©