3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The best gear advice ever!  (Read 979 times)

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
The best gear advice ever!
« on: August 24, 2008, 03:16:00 PM »
Every year about this time guys are getting ready to head west for their first mountain hunt and they ask for advice on boots, binos, broadheads, packs, camo and raingear all valid and useful information, but in my opinion the most underated bit of gear NEVER gets asked about SOCKS. I still grimace at all the years I suffered with bad or at best mediocre socks. I finally broke down about 20 years ago and bought four pairs of Thorlo hikers and never knew my feet could feel that good, they were probably three times what I had paid for any pair of socks up to that time, but looking back now, they were the best investment I ever made, I still have all four pairs and they have been worn a LOT a conservative estimate would be that I have worn each of those pairs 600 times and NONE of them have ever gotten a hole in them, they are getting thin in a couple places, but no holes and all of the the Thorlos I have bought since then are also holeless. I usually wear the "Trekkers" for most of the mountain hunting, unless I know it will be very warm and then wear the "hikers" that aren't quite as warm. They are expensive and almost never go on sale, but I just found them on sale for 25% off at REI until labor day and bought me six more pairs(I don't have to do laundry in camp as often that way!)

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The best gear advice ever!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 03:48:00 PM »
Rick, Can you tell me which ones exactly.  They have several.
Thanks
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 04:20:00 PM »
Excellent point Rick, the dogs take a beatin' goin up AND down them hills. I always wore a thin poly wickin sock under a medium weight wool. Lots of cusion and keep the feet dry!

Eric

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 05:23:00 PM »
Richie, the bit heavier ones with a fair amount of wool in them are the "Trekking" with the "exclusive" wool/thorlon blend. The model number for mens large is TKX-13. The ones I usually wear for training, hiking and warmer weather are the "hiking" model without wool, model KX-13. They also have at least two other "hiking" versions, a "light hiker" with coolmax for very warm weather and a "hiking" that has some wool in it, I don't have the numbers for those. I don't know how many different socks Thorlo makes, but it seems they make a sock designed especially for every outdoor activity.
Eric, I use the liner socks also, I just got some really nice ones made by Wigwam, they are the "professional" model.
Here's one REALLY good tip, if you are out for the full day, carry and extra pair of socks dusted with cornstarch(foot powder)in a ziplock bag. When you stop for lunch take your boots off and let them cool and your feet air out, after lunch, put on the clean dry socks and you will feel like a new man!

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 06:07:00 PM »
Wow, six more pairs?  You will be an old man by the time you buy six pairs after the first four pairs, LOL!  (Did you follow that?)

You'll die of old age way before those six new pairs wear out at that rate!

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 06:07:00 PM »
Great advice!

Ray  ;)

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 06:08:00 PM »
Speaking of socks, the ones (not sure if Thorlo does this) that have silver threads in them really work for reducing the stench for us non-day hunters.

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 07:07:00 PM »
Stevo, I'm already an old man, I'll be possitively ancient and suspect I can leave these to someone in my will, BUT if you will carefully read my post above you will notice, I bought these to reduce the number of laundry days.
Oh one thing I forgot to mention Thorlo, MADE IN AMERICA, they even have a little flag on the package!

Offline ChetterB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 08:41:00 PM »
Very good advice, Thanks.Jerry

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 09:07:00 PM »
Good tip Rick. Many of the recommended socks at REI are out of stock and back order won't help much for fast approaching western elk hunts. I think I'll check the local sport shops and fork over full price. I like the extra pair in the day pack idea, thanks.

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 09:27:00 PM »
Socks are on of those things you learn about in the Marines as well.  Very, very important because you'll "never" kill an elk sitting in camp because your feet were to blistered to grind it out.  

I'd also recommend smartwool socks.  Just as good as thorlos, it's just comparing Chevy to a Ford type of thing...

Mike
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline p1choco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 12:32:00 AM »
Originally posted by elk ninja:
Socks are on of those things you learn about in the Marines as well.
Yes!  I used to add a layer of dress socks and never had a problem with blisters.
Patriotism is easy to understand in America; it means looking out for yourself by looking out for your country.

- Calvin Coolidge

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 12:47:00 AM »
Good post. I like Thorlos as well as Ultimax socks which are a little less expensive, but work very well.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 10:47:00 AM »
I've never tried the smartwool socks, but I know a lot of guys like them and the price is about the same. It is so seldom that a product actually exceeds my expectations and is made in the USA and in the case of Thorlos, I always watch for them to be on sale, but this is the first time I can actually remember it happening. I think about it a couple more days, I may go pick up a couple more pairs as it could be another 20 years, before they go on sale again!

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 11:02:00 AM »
Rick is right about Thorlo.   :bigsmyl:
Lon Scott

Offline JSimon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2008, 01:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by Steve H.:
Speaking of socks, the ones (not sure if Thorlo does this) that have silver threads in them really work for reducing the stench for us non-day hunters.
I agree. I bought two pairs of liner socks with the X-scent silver thread from REI a couple of years ago and they are one of the best investments I've ever made. I wore those two pairs of socks in rubber boots the entire deer season last year without washing them and they never stunk. My rubber boots are 3 years old and still smell like brand new on the inside. I think the silver fiber clothing is very underated. I have X-scent long underwear that also never stinks no matter how much I sweat in it.

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2008, 02:39:00 PM »
Stevo will love that! "I wore those two pairs of socks in rubber boots the entire deer season last year without washing them and they never stunk." I'm sorry, but smell or no, once my socks can stand up by themselves, its time to wash!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2008, 03:55:00 PM »
Been preaching that for years also Ric.....and have folks come to the same 'revelation' as you did.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Joey Ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2008, 04:27:00 PM »
Make sure you carry some TP. Don't want to have to wipe with one of THOSE socks.

'Course, if you're fortunate to hunt with Rick, sounds like he'll have enough spares.   :biglaugh:
Joey Ward

Offline Bill Tell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2008, 04:35:00 PM »
Amen brother.  If you ever need an exceptional tube sock I highly recommend socks from Red Wing.
"I'm going to find my direction magnetically. " Eddie Vedder

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©