3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The best gear advice ever!  (Read 978 times)

Offline matt schuster

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The best gear advice ever!
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2008, 04:53:00 PM »
When SteveH and I hunted Hawaii, he actually did wear the same pair of socks for six straight days.   Every day we would wake up and he would go, "hey, smell these, they still don't smell!"

Lol, I had to take his word for it.

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2008, 06:24:00 PM »
Matt, he must not have been wearing them in Mongolia, I woke up in that little two man tent, thinking, "what the he!! is that SMELL?" I quickly figured out it was Stevos used socks in the gear loft about 12" above my face.
Joey, don't even joke about trying to borrow my socks, I've got some Fruit of the Looms you can have though!

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2008, 06:30:00 PM »
Lies, all of them lies!  LOL.

And here I just came on here to tell RicMic that he should consider purchasing some new undies to go with his new socks in case he gets into an alligator-accident!

Offline SoNevada Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2008, 06:45:00 PM »
No doubt about it! Good quality socks do make a big difference! Thanks...
The doom of man...that he forgets!

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2008, 08:08:00 PM »
Something No one has mentioned here yet that I do Which works AMAZINGLY  is that I wear NEOPRENE socks, they insulate and get close to your foot.  u dont notice your foot slide in the boot at all .. Alot of the time I can feel the fibers in the stitching of the sock.  Walking up hill is killer on the heels and Balls of the feet Neoprene works just great and I HIGHLY recommend it..

Offline Charlie Cole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2008, 08:22:00 PM »
Never tried the Thorlos, but I second the praise for Smartwools. NO STINK.

For you guys that have tried both, how do the Thorlos with silver stuff compare to smartwool in the stink department?

Thanks,
Charlie

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2008, 08:27:00 PM »
There are just three kinds of socks in my drawers -- Thorlo in various guises, Smartwool in liners and dress socks, and Wigwam UltiMax liners.  Nothing else has gotten past the front door for the last four years.

I'm pretty sure I've never worn out a Thorlo before I lost it.

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2008, 11:51:00 AM »
I have two out of those three and even Tholo boot socks for Saturday night at the cowboy bar, yeehaw!

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2008, 10:08:00 PM »
I always wear wool or merino wool or alpaca socks, even in Ga summer.  I have some Fox River than they don't make anymore that I would love to get my hands on.  I usually buy the Smart wools or Bridgedales.  I'll never be caugt in a pair of cotton socks again.  The lightweight merino wool is cooler in the summer than cotton.  :thumbsup:
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline blueslfb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2008, 10:28:00 PM »
I bought two pairs of SmartWool hiking socks from a local outdoor store.  I have to say they are the best socks I have worn.  I wore the same pair for three twelve hour shifts and they did not stink and my feet did not sweat like they do when I wear cotton socks.  The socks were $17 a piece but they are well worth the money.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2008, 10:37:00 PM »
I was in charge of testing gear at the Marine Corps Mountain Warfare Center and second Smartwool and Thorlos as the best you can go with.  
We used Danner's in those days and a tip to help packing out or long downhill:  take a pair of dress shoe laces-the flat kind.  Lace up the first three or so holes oveer the regular laces.  When you start downhill sit down, slam your foot back on the heel cup and tighten up those flat laces.  if done correctly, the added laces prevent your foot from bunching the toes.  The laces should tie about the widest part of your foot.  Agree the only thing you kill in most camps is time.  They also make some various kinds of toughskin that i recommend on the edges of the foot. If not get your feet wet and stand in some salt for a few minutes every night.  There is nothing as bad a sore feet in the mountains.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2008, 05:22:00 AM »
at the Marine Corps Mountain Warfare Center
Near Bridgeport, CA.? Sonora Junction?
I grew up there.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2008, 07:58:00 AM »
Yes Mike, Brodgeport, Ca. Beautiful country. Awesome trout fishing too.

Agree with all on the socks. The Corp taught us that once you lose your feet, your DONE. The dress socks are an inexpensive liner to wick away moisture. They need to be the nylon ones not cotton. I bought 6-new pair for my elk hunt in 12 days. Pretty expensive but will keep me hunting. Good idea to carry an extra pair in the pack. Walk about 5 miles with wet socks and you will see why.Later.

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline rbbhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2008, 08:02:00 AM »
I agree with the socks.  I have several pair of the Thorlo warm weather knee high socks that I wear with my snake boots for ealy season or turkey season.  Keeps my feet dry, even in hot weather.
RBBHUNT
"Those who will trade liberty for
security, deserve niether" B. Franklin (a long time ago and still valid)

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2008, 11:11:00 AM »
The synthetic dress socks do the same function as the liner socks, wicking the moisture away from your skin and allowing most of the rubbing that goes on,to be between the layers of socks and not the socks and your skin. I prefer the all synthetics for warm weather myself, definately cooler and they just won't hold any sweat.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2008, 02:07:00 PM »
I get my Smartwools from LL Bean- they occasionally have them on sale and I stock up. They're great in the Maine Hunting Shoe with poly liners.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline bbairborne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2008, 02:12:00 PM »
Good ol' Danners and some SmartWool or Thorlos = Happy feet!

Offline nutmeg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2008, 03:47:00 PM »
I alwys give that advice in my Bowhunter Ed. courses here in Ct.. I usually get some snickers or puzzled looks when I say that nothing puts a new perspective on the rest of the day than pulling off the boots, cooling the feet and putting on new socks. But, I've had guys come into the shop and say "ya know, that advice on the socks was right on the money." I became aware of Thorlo socks through my law enforcement catalog also. I think they're great with a pair of liners. Great advice Rick. (nut)
Rich Potter

Offline Allan Hundeby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2008, 01:10:00 AM »
Another vote for silver-lined/X-Scent/X-Static gear!  --removes the stench before it even starts.  However, my all-time favorite socks are ones that I bought 4 pair for 10.95 from Cost-Co: Kirkland merino wool/nylon blend socks.  I think "Head" also makes the same socks, and I've yet to find more durable/comfortable socks.  Never too warm nor cold.
Bow:
62" Bob Lee TD Hunter Recurve: 51# @ 28", Braceheight: 7 3/4"

Bowstring:
Chad Weaver 58.5'' 10-strand DF97 (padded loops); 0.19 HALO serving; rubber silencers & brush buttons

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2008, 04:32:00 PM »
huh, I just finally read this post and got another great idea from Mr. McGowan. I never thought to carry an extra pair of sock and some foot powder. This site is just full of little useful tidbits... Thanks Rick!
Keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©