3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Conflict  (Read 1021 times)

Offline JStark

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Conflict
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2008, 11:40:00 AM »
I think that much football at that young an age is too much.  High school is different, when bones and muscles have developed a bit more.  I think kids should have more free time at that age, too.  

That said, I think it's even more important that he make the decision.  That responsibility is important, especially since it's between two positives.  As a teacher, I had a much easier time with kids who could make their own decisions.
Through education, appreciation;
through appreciation, protection.

Offline brackshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2008, 11:52:00 AM »
I would encourage him to play, if its a sport he loves.  He will have years of bowhunting in the future, but sports for most of us last just a few years, and I know I would still be kicking myself if I had given up on basketball/football so early.  my .02

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2008, 12:24:00 PM »
let him follow his heart...if football isn't in his heart it will show fast. Same with hunting, if he loves it that much he'll find the time to do it...I spent many hours studying in college in a treestand in the autumn.

Best of luck...
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Offline groundhawg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2008, 12:49:00 PM »
i think you should let your boy decide, but understand that his football will not just affect his hunting time. his family will be expected to attend some practices and all the games. this may sound selfish but ive seen both grade and high school sports have a negative effect on a friends marrige and life in general and too what end.
i enjoyed playing sports but i would gladly trade any memories of touchdowns,goals and free throws for memories of fishing/hunting with my dad.
good luck

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2008, 12:53:00 PM »
I had the same exact situation when I was in school.  I loved to hunt but I also loved to play football.  I came to my descision looking at it this way.  I only had 4 or 5 years to play football (figuring it would end my senior year or high school) but I would have my whole life to deer hunt.  I never regreted it once.  I had a riot playing football and now I enjoy hunting on those early October days.  Like you said it is a tough descision and only one that he can make for himself.  All you can do is guide him and support him the best you can.  Good luck!!

Tim
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2008, 01:02:00 PM »
Played Soccer all my life, four years in highschool and four years in college. One of the best experiences of my life. NCAA tournament twice. But nothing compared to having big bucks walking 10 yards from me while hunting on the ground the past couple seasons. I even blew my opportunities and it still outweighed any experience in my athletic career.

Not saying - don't play... The last two years of my college career I was trying to graduate with a B.S. in Mech Engineering and play varsity soccer. I accomplished both and spent more time in the woods than anyone I was hunting with at school.

If he has a passion for both sports and hunting, he will do both. There is ALWAYS two hours out of a day you can find to step into the woods.

Offline Ia Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2008, 01:31:00 PM »
If he's like most kids, he will only have a chance to play football for 6 years. He will be able to hunt a lifetime !!!!!

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2008, 03:04:00 PM »
As a teacher/coach and also now a father, I certainly won't force athletics on my daughter.  But I have so many great memories (and learned many valuable lessons) by being a three-sport athlete during high school that I wouldn't trade them for anything.  Working together with classmates toward goals cemented friendships that remain intact to this day.  (And really only one of my teammates was also a hunter; I would have likely missed out on many friendships had I not participated in CC/BB/T&F).  Thus I hope my daughters will want to participate.

My dad coached two of those sports, and to this day I remember both of us being stoked on Wednesdays because our school had only one gym and the boys had morning basketball practice on that day.  That meant Wednesday after school we would be hunting something, as well as getting out some most weekends.

While I do think many sports programs are overblown ('club' volleyball/soccer, and high school football are the worst offenders in my opinion), my feeling is that you only get one chance at high school and if you like sports, go for it.  You'll hopefully have the rest of your life to hunt as serious competitive sports post-college are almost non-existant.  And there is something special about being on the high school field or court and having your hometown cheering for you that really is not duplicated again in life (unless you are a stud NCAA FB or BB athlete at a big name school--which is unrealistic for most).
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline SouthMDShooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2008, 07:08:00 PM »
Bonebuster,

Im 19 years old and I love hunting, love it so much it consumes me to the point just thinking about it gives me chills. But I played football My whole life then through High School and dont regret it at all, altough it did cut into my hunting time you have to think of it  as there is a small time frame (just a couple years) when you can play real competitive football. I love strappin up and going out on the field friday nights with the whole school watchin you and knockin the snot out of someone for an hour and a half. If your son loves football PLAY! he will have his whole life to hunt but only a couple years to play ball. This will be my second year in a row since I can rember ( sophmore in college now) not playing and I miss it dearly. If he loves the game he will regret not playin just to get a few more hours in the woods when hes got his whole life to hunt.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
- Robert Frost

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2008, 07:13:00 PM »
my son gave up a LOT of hunting to play high school football. he said he'll NEVER regret it because he can hunt the rest of his life and tell football stories along the way.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2008, 09:19:00 PM »
your only young once.  :readit:
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2008, 09:34:00 PM »
I agree with southmdshooter, i put the pads on for the 1st time in 10th grade  an it was the best years of my life. I`m now 38 an i wish i had the chance ur son has. I never had had the opportunity to play  at a younger age working on farm, an never reliezed it could of been a career till i was too late, an i can honestly say if i had the chance to gain experience at a younger age it may have changed my out cum an career direction. One things for sure when you play this sport of football it eliminates all clicks in highschool an ur accepted for who you are, an you make friends for life. An for sum it`s a real reachable goal if they have the talent an believe  

good luck
Bull

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2008, 09:35:00 PM »
I echo hogdancers opinion: Yes he has the rest of his life to hunt and fish, but do you ?

None of us are guaranteed another day, month, or year.  I know that all too well.  A lot are saying that he can hunt the rest of his life but only play football for a short while.  That is perhaps true, and yet it seems that too much is sacrificed (health, family time, youth) for a transient past time and fleeting glory rather than a life interest.  I have also seen organized sports demand too much of family life and effort focused on one individual rather than the family as a whole. The hectic lifestyle of families that have every minute of their lives scheduled with activities.  Yes there are life lessons that can be learned, and enjoyment but I'm not sure that it's worth the sacrifices that are made.  Seems like a lot of mis-directed energy.  AND I LOVE FOOTBALL!  

Anyway, those are just my thoughts and certainly have no bearing on your decision other than maybe revealing aspects you may not have thought of.

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2008, 09:47:00 PM »
I had a lot of the feelings the guys here have.  I remember football trumped a lot of hunting.  But we still had weekends to hunt, we just lost week nights.  I got back into hunting big time when I started college and haven't stopped since.

My son started 5th grade football this year.  3 practices a week and games on Saturday mornings.  It's going to cut into the first 1&1/2 months of bowhunting and duck hunting this fall but won't stop it.  And then we'll have 2&1/2 months left to hunt.  I watched his first game this weekend and enjoyed more than any other sport he's been in.  I learned a lot playing organized sports, things that I use each day.  You can learn those same things hunting but the journey is a little different.  I agree playing in front of a lot of people cheering is an experience you won't forget.

All things in moderation, too much of anything (even hunting) is not good for anyone.

Jason

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2008, 10:57:00 PM »
You've done your part and planted the seed.  I'd encourage him to play football and catch up with hunting when he's past that age.  He still could catch a hunt here and there on afternoons and holidays.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2008, 11:24:00 PM »
On another note i feel you can do both, i have the same similar problem  with my 13yr old daughter Sara, shes as huge academic load that allows no time to hunt in evening cuz @%^^%% home work i mean 2-3hrs of it , what ever happen to family time???. We still find time some how on weekends to hunt. It`s not every day but its enough.She  evens takes her books to to ground blind to hunt some times.I really feel hunting is instilled in her blood at this point, an as sports start play a role in her life an she shy`s a way for a while, i believe her heart will always find time to hunt with dad. This year we did a july  hog hunt after school let out, it was HOT but it was cool.Just another way around the school thing or sports thing. UR ONLY YOUNG ONCE
Bull

Offline SouthMDShooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2008, 11:36:00 PM »
Oh also in football ive had 4 concusions, broke my ankles numerous times, broken fingers, broken collar bone, COUNTLESS number of times my shoulder popped out of place (my senior year it popped out 4 times and everytime I just got my buddy to pop it back in on the field and kept playin) injuries are part of the sport. I cant name one good football player who has never been hurt but I have never regretted it one bit, i loved every second but just because there is a risk of injury doesnt mean you shouldnt play. Even if your son doesnt get much playing time he will make bonds/friendships with team members that you just cant have otherwise. I cant think of one reason why he shouldnt play unless he really doesnt want to.

Can you tell football is one of my other passions besides bow hunting haha. Man i wanna snap up and hit someone now!
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
- Robert Frost

Offline zwickey2bl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2008, 01:08:00 AM »
Well, my son played football and baseball and we hunted when we could. He now basically hunts for a living, so it sure didn't discourage him any.

I quit school sports in 10th grade for the same reasons you cite = it interfered with my hunting time more than I was willing to allow. I've never regretted my decision.

I'd say there's no right/wrong universal answer - let your boy follow his heart and be there to support his decision.

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2008, 02:12:00 AM »
Yep, I agree with BD. Don't get but the one shot going through...... He will know he made the right decision to play in a few years or less.... it will just make the times he does get out with you this season more special. It is not always the amount of anything, it's the substance of it. I wish you both the best.

Froggy
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2008, 06:03:00 AM »
Thank you, one and all for your responses.
Your responses have helped me realize I really am doing the right thing by letting him decide for himself. First practice was yesterday.

My wife feels that the coach is a bit too
aggressive in his methods,(I have not met him yet) and the schedule is different from what we were first told. Now it`s practice every day after school, and games on Thursday evenings, and Saturday mornings.

My wife did NOT like the coach, but he is not there for a popularity contest. He is there to coach football.

I played high school football, and I was on the Varsity team as a sophmore. I remember the joy, and the pain. Broken fingers, chipped elbow, and then a dislocated hip. I remember the joy and the pain. I wouldn`t want him to miss anything except the injuries.

He wants to play.

The coach is going to get a player who will keep his mouth shut, and his ears open. He is going to get a player who will encourage everyone, even his opponents. The coach is going to get a player he can count on.

The minute they are born we all begin learning.
I`m learning that letting them walk their own path is sometimes difficult.

It is win, win. Life is good.

Thank you all again for your time, and responses.

Don

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©