3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: X-200...Decent Bow?  (Read 300 times)

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
X-200...Decent Bow?
« on: August 25, 2008, 11:17:00 AM »
Hey Guys,

A buddy called yesterday. He found a good condition Howatt X-200 (50#@28 60")for under $200, and asked what I knew about them. I know nothing about them but figured someone here would.

He isn't a collector or anything, just wants a good hunting bow he can afford. I am going to look at it with him at lunch today.

This will be his first production made bow. He usually shoots selfbows. Is this a decent bow? I know my DH Hunter is a GREAT bow, but have no idea about this one beyond knowing to check for soundness and condition.

Any thoughts?

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline groundhawg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: X-200...Decent Bow?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 12:58:00 PM »
they used to run in the $225 area brand new and are now $325. i think they are good bows and will be plenty good to start out with and could be happily used forever.

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 01:47:00 PM »
Thanks Scott!

We went and looked at it over lunch. I couldn't really find a single flaw in the condition of the bow other than someone had drilled two holes in the side of the riser for a quickee quiver bracket. My buddy didn't really like the holes (first bought bow in his life, thought he was being discerning)so the shop owner said he would install brass inserts in the holes free of charge.

This was an original Howatt X-200, not a Martin (I guess, no Martin name stamps. Only hand written specs.)

He walked out of there with the bow and the new inserts, for $170.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline groundhawg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 02:47:00 PM »
cool, i think he will be pleased with the bow.

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 03:03:00 PM »
I think he will be happy with it.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline Danny Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 03:42:00 PM »
They're awesome ! A buddy of mine just bought one. Good luck !

Offline recurvist

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 03:50:00 PM »
If its anything like the Hunter , it should be a good one . My son shoots one and loves it.
" Aim small, ..Miss small " The Patriot.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 04:16:00 PM »
I was at my local range this summer and watched an older gentleman shooting remarkable groups at the 50 yard bullseye target.  

I took my fancy Widow over to inquire what type of bow he was shooting.  He said, "Well son, I'm not sure."  

When he showed me it was an X-200...well, I was impressed.
Lon Scott

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 04:23:00 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys!

This buddy has only ever shot selfbows he has made. I think he will be amazed at how this bow shoots. He and I are not collectors, but this bow is in great condition.

Anyone have any info on how old it may be? When did Martin buy out Howatt?

Thanks again.

OkKeith
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 04:37:00 PM »
Actually Damon Howatt sold out in the early 60's but Martin did not acquire the company until 1976.  

"Howattman" is our resident expert here on Howatt and Martin bows.  Send him a PM and he would be happy to help you.
Lon Scott

Offline recurvericky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 09:48:00 PM »
I have an x-200 and love it. I bought mine about 4 yrs ago for $209 from Freddie Bear Shop in Illinois. It is 50# at 28" and is 58" AMO. The new bows are now 60". I would not hesitate buying another one.
Recurvericky
Richmond, Ks

Traditionalist have more fun!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©