3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What sand to use  (Read 696 times)

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
What sand to use
« on: August 25, 2008, 01:44:00 PM »
Going to make a sand broadhead pit, masons sand(super fine) is 12.00 ton 160.00 for 8 ton delivered, I can get washed sand for 3.75 aton and 153.00 for 22 ton delivered..I would rather get the 22 ton that way I wouldnt have to build a frame for the sand to be high enough to shoot into, plus it will make a good backstop for my bag targets.. My question is will the washed sand be too rough on arrows? What sand are you guys using that have sand pit targets? Thanks for any help.
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What sand to use
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 02:44:00 PM »
Mason sand.The washed concrete sand is very hard on heads and shafts and dosen't compact as well.Being a mason,12 and 22 tons of sand is a lot .I've been using 2 tons in a bin for the past 8 years.

Offline Deff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 03:17:00 PM »
Mason sand would probably be the best.  I filled my sandpit with some coarse sand that I mined and screened myself. It eats up broadheads fast! If you build a bin to hold it from spreading, your pit will last almost indefinitely so I would advise doing it right the first time.
John D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 03:32:00 PM »
Thanks guys can either one of you post a pic of your bin/pit, if I can get by with 2 tons Ill just haul it myself...thanks again.

Offline Footed Shaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 05:10:00 PM »
PLEASE post some pictures guys. I too am very interested in making me a pit  :)   Bill

Offline Deff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 03:12:00 AM »
I'm afraid a picture of  mine isn't worth posting. I used my backhoe to dig a trench about five feet wide and eight feet back into the base of a sidehill (ended up roughly 5 feet deep in the back) and filled it up with sand.  The hillside had been the backing for my 3-D targets before,  but the soil was clay and dried hard as cement.  Hard on arrows!

To make a pit on level ground I would probably set a couple treated wood posts  with a wire strung between them at the top to prevent spreading (and to hang targets from) on the open end of the pit. Then stack landscape timbers in the manner of a log house to complete the other three sides. It can be sized any way you want but I would recommend that it be nearly twice as long (deep) as it is high to provide ample room for the sand to be piled up against the back wall.
A less permanent pit could be framed out of 2X4's and particle board etc.
John D.

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 02:30:00 PM »
I find most sand to be very hard on broadheads.  It does what you think it would do and quickly "sands" down the broadhead until one point gets too thin and then it fails.   It does it fairly fast.

I like to use blackdirt.  It stops well, when dry the BHs stay clean, and seems much less abrasive.

my $.02

Offline Bob G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 03:13:00 PM »
How do you keep the neighbohood cats out of it?
"No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" T. Roosevelt

Offline dagwood64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 03:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bob G:
How do you keep the neighbohood cats out of it?
Use them as BH targets.  :biglaugh:
DEER THE OTHER RED MEAT!

62" Sasquatch T/D Hybrid 47@28
64" Sasquatch T/D Static Tip RC 50@28
64" Flatliner Stealth 45@29
64" Thunderstick III 55@29, for now.
60" Big Rock Black Hunter 35/40@28 (Daughter's)

Sirach 2:1-11

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 03:25:00 PM »
Why can't you just use a small pile of dirt????  Seems like you're going to a lot of trouble just to have something to shoot BH's into  :confused:

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 03:47:00 PM »
I have been using a pile of shredded hardwood mulch leftover from a landscaping project.  This was $20.00 a cubic yard mulch.  It does not tear up your broadheads and stops arrows good.

Offline fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 06:12:00 PM »
I just dig 2 foot wide or so circles in the ground around my treestand and fill them with sand.  Been shooting at the same holes now for ten years with no problems other than every two or three years throwing a little sand in them.  I am not too worried about it being hard on broadheads.  I usually hit something with them that does them in before sand will bother them...

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 07:48:00 PM »
I guess I could use dirt but when it rains your screwed for 2-3 days while it drys out plus you have to knock dirt out of your broadhead every shot..just heard sand was a good target and cheap.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 07:54:00 AM »
I've done both the dirt and mulch.IMO mason sand is far better.You can put mothballs in trhe sand to keep the cat out.

Offline 52 bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 12:02:00 PM »
I accidently hit new topic instead of "reply". look for mason sand.Sorry  :knothead:

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 07:21:00 PM »
A $20 broadhead target from wallmart goes a long way compared to $160  load of sand . Just my 2cents
Bull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 09:26:00 PM »
Wal-Mart doesnt have 20.00 broadhead targets anymore, they are 31.00 now... inflation I guess, shot one up in a week before, I shoot alot.

Offline Derwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2008, 01:04:00 AM »
It's no Taj Mahal, but here's a sand target I built a couple weeks ago.  Actually, I have more work to do on it yet.  Once I got it to this stage I just had to start shooting into it.   :)   It works pretty good.  It is now messy with things I've thrown in to shoot at.  Little plastic balls, clay pigeons, plastic bottles, etc.  But, that's what I really like about it.  Anyway, my total cost with materials and sand was around $160.  I think that's a pretty good investment considering how long it will last.  The mason sand cost $40.  I used two layers of 23/32" exterior plywood for the back.  Dimensions are roughly 4'x3'x6'.

As you can see, I shoot in a residential area and kinda overbuilt it just to be safe.  I've also discussed it with my neighbors and they are all okay with it.  They've been watching me shoot into my garage for years and wondered when I'd start shooting out back.   :)   I also DO NOT shoot when anyone or their pets are out.    Safety first.

Good luck with your target.
"Derwood"

Offline chrisg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2008, 01:42:00 AM »
Nice 'sandbox' Derwood, but I would be inclined to add a 3' panel of hardboard above it and fill that gap to the left too for the odd 'flyers'. Especially as you have several neighbours yard lined up behind there! I know you said it is not finished yet, maybe you plan to do that.
chrisg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 07:14:00 AM »
Hey Derwood, thanks for the pics...helps alot..Dean

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©