3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Which bow would you choose?  (Read 532 times)

Offline Bilder

• Trad Bowhunter
Which bow would you choose?
« on: August 26, 2008, 07:18:00 AM »
Looking to make a purchase in about three weeks and have been researching the various bows out there.

In the new bow category I was wondering what you all thought of these bows:

Bear Grizzly
PSE Kudu
Rudderbows Hog Hunter

All are in the same price range of $250-$300 which would allow me to buy some accessories with my budget which I have set at $400.

My other choice is to go with a used bow which will depend on what is available at the time.

I am looking for a bow to use for hunting as well as target practice.

Any input or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Which bow would you choose?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 07:52:00 AM »
If you must buy new, I would only consider the Grizzly from the choices you gave.  Look at new Martins as well.  I would buy used so that you can get all your money back out of it when you decide to buy the next one.  Notice I said when.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 07:59:00 AM »
I agree.  If you have to buy new go with the Grizzly.  Your money will go a lot farther though buying used.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline houseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 10:00:00 AM »
Alot more bang for your buck with a good used bow.
Semper Fi

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 10:15:00 AM »
Of the ones you listed ,I agree on the Bear.

For new also take a look at Check Mate and Quinn.IMHO thoes are the best bang for buck new bows around.

A well known name used bow would be your best bet.Just buy one from someone you trust.Lot of good guys list here in the classifieds.If you go that route just check their posting history.

Also some of the sponsors sell used bows,I know Sipsey River does.

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 10:35:00 AM »
You can't go wrong with a Grizzly.    I bought a used one from another tradganger a few years back and it's a nice shooting bow.

If you don't mind metal risers and a TD, the Quinn is far and away the best value around.  It packs away nice if space is a concern.  For the price you prob won't find a nicer shooter (new).

Check the classifieds here as well, often very expensive bows will go for a little just because they have been used a few times.   I've bought and sold a few there and have never been done wrong.
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 04:22:00 PM »
I agree with the obove posts, but if you can find a good used bow you might save some money. The Grizzly is a good bow. Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Online TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 04:33:00 PM »
$250.00-$300.00 would allow you to buy a heck of a nice used or Vintage bow.  Howatts, Bear Grizzlies, Bear Kodiak Hunter to name a few.  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 04:51:00 PM »
I wouldn't buy anything new in your price range-too many great used bows around.

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 05:35:00 PM »
im with bjorn,,    but out of the ones you posted i would go with the griz.  i have a pse kudu and its just not.....up to par.  lots and lots of stacking
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 10:04:00 PM »
I'd recommend used, too.  If you like the Grizzly, the '65-67's are the best in my opinion.  The later Griz are good bows, but not nearly as good as these.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 10:24:00 PM »
By all means either buy a used, good qualty bow, the martin x-200 comes to mind, or a Quinn!! I bought one of these recently for around $200 as new, one of the best bows I have got, including my BW's! Sam.
samuel koger

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 10:25:00 PM »
PM sent. And if that doesn't work for you I may have one myself. Hate to see you spend money on a new bow until your'e sure of what you want.
But it's a better investment than a new car.
Fred
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 11:24:00 PM »
the one that shoots
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline Bilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 12:23:00 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys.  It is appreciated and will be taken to heart.

I am a lefty, so my choices are narrowed a bit (but not much) as to what to choose from.

I will be looking at the classifieds for the next couple weeks to get a feel for what is out there.  The Alaska Permanent Fund Dividends hit on September 12th and then it will be time to upgrade from the yard sale special I have been shooting this summer.

Offline Swamp Pygmy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 02:53:00 AM »
try before you buy. I was dead set to buy the grizzly. A few days before I was going to order I just decided to make the ride out to the bass pro. To this day I don't know how you are supposed to hold a grizzly.

Pretty much every other bow there felt fine. But grizzly is the most awkward feeling bow I've ever held. Just my .02. Everyone else seems to love them and it probably is a great bow. But not for me.
South Louisiana Longbow Shooter

The only trophy you'll ever bring home is a good time. The rest is just meat. -SP

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 04:19:00 AM »
Bilder
Go vintage man, can't say enough about my Pearson. Not only is it a great shooter that with just a bit more practice Tracy will be chasing Bou's with, it has what I can only described as a energy or spirit of it's own. Knowing a little about it's background and the man who owned it before me almost in-vibes it with a innate confidence, like the bow it's self is guiding your shot. Add to that the fact that mine was made when Ben Pearson was actively involved in the manufacture of his bows and he may have at least handled this bow it's even more special. Honestly bilder I don't think I'll be buying another new bow...possibly ever, since custom bows are way out of my price range and the only other way I can think of to achieve that sense of presence.
Just this Alaskan's opinion

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2008, 04:27:00 AM »
Look hard at the used bows, both here and at Bowsite. A Lot more bow for your money.

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2008, 07:22:00 AM »
I am a lefty too and think there is a lefty 50pound martin dreamcatcher on the classifides here for $300 if I was not saving up for a custom bow it would have been sold already, you'd be shocked at how many leftys there are for sale if you look around, go with a good used bow
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2008, 07:36:00 PM »
Take your time and look at the used market. I picked up a like new ,used Great Plains SR Swift for $375. I also found a Bear Montana for $150.Keep your eyes open and good shopping.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©