3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: KME knife or broadhead sharpener  (Read 940 times)

Offline Houska

• Trad Bowhunter
KME knife or broadhead sharpener
« on: August 26, 2008, 08:26:00 AM »
I have made up my mind to get the KME. Now do I get the broadhead or the knife sharpener. I shoot Magnus two and four blades. Does the knife sharpener work as well for broadheads?

Thanks
Matt Houska

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: KME knife or broadhead sharpener
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 08:52:00 AM »
I have heard alot of great stuff about KME, cant go wrong.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 09:14:00 AM »
I think that really depends on if you are truly sharpening challenged. Yes you can sharpen your broadheads with the knife sharpener they make but I think most are better off if they use the broadhead sharpener. Both products are excellent and worth every penny.
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 09:15:00 AM »
Suggest you contact Ron directly, and get his take on your wants and how it matches his systems.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Rick Wiltshire

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 09:33:00 AM »
I have the knife system and it does a great job on my two blade heads.  Rick

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 09:46:00 AM »
i have both..definitely the knife sharpener.. it's adjustable and can do any BH or Knife. From Silver Flames to a Case Peanut. i really like mine
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 09:53:00 AM »
I have spoken with Ron about this, because I too would like a two-in-one sharpener, and he says adamently: "the knife sharpener is for knives and the broadhead sharpener is for broadheads." I have the head sharpener and beyond its high functionality, I'm amazed at the amount of engineering incorporated in such a small and "simple" package. Sharpster, in many ways, is a truly amazing man who makes great products.  Dave

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 11:15:00 AM »
I have a similar design knife sharpener (Lansky) and just recently purchased the KME broadhead sharpener.  If you really want to do broadheads, get the broadhead sharpener!  FINALLY, I am able to get Grizzly 109's shaving sharp!  
Great product, and great service.  Well worth the $$$!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 11:27:00 AM »
I like a 20 degree edge on my BH ( Silver Flames). I could not get this with the BH sharperner. I like to take a Broadhead's factory degree angle and stay with it and not create a new angle to the sharpening gadgetin case of the broadhead sharpener. The beauty of the knife sharpener is that you can match it EXACTLY and therefore reproducing the factory razor edge only takes a few passes with diamond, then white arkansas stone then leather stropp...WATCH OUT !!!!!!! it's sharp..IMO there is a difference in sharpness between a 20 degree edge and 25 degree. That why i highly reccomend the KME knife sharpner.
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 12:43:00 PM »
i have used the broadhead sharpener on a knife of mine with great results.  however it is a straight blade knife with a tanto point (2 straight edges) and you have to take the knife apart and remove the blade to put it into the sharpener
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 04:27:00 PM »
I have both, and highly recommend both.

The knife sharpener is head and shoulders better than Lansky or any of the other similar sharpeners. It will work to do broadheads also, but the broadhead sharpener is purpose-designed for sharpening broadheads. I use mine with progressively finer grits of sandpaper (glued to a 12x12" piece of tile) and can get my broadheads scary sharp! It really doesn't get any easier.
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Offline peter c iacavazzi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 05:40:00 PM »
Not a whole lot more I can add. I also own both and use both to sharpen my heads. The KME sharpener is awesome!

I would suggest that you contact Ron @ KME directly and get his take on your question.

I would imagine he'll tell you to go with the broadhead sharpener...but for what its worth...I don't think you can wrong with either!

Peter Iacavazzi

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 07:15:00 PM »
It depends on your needs as the knife sharpener does work on broadheads and in fact can sharpen certain heads that the broadhead sharpener cannot. But, the broadhead sharpener can sharpen certain insert blades that the knife sharpener cannot. For my needs and the for the broadheads I use, Ron recommended I use his knife sharpener. Your needs may differ and I'd suggest you consult with Ron for the best option.

Daddy Bear

Offline Houska

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 11:39:00 PM »
Thanks for all the advice, I think I will go with the broadhead sharpener, no...... the knife system,.....no maybe the broadhead sharpener,.......oh hell, I seemed to be more confused now then before. Will someone please just buy them both for me.

Thanks
Matt Houska

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 02:40:00 PM »
I bought the knife sharpener....haven't got it yet in the mail.  Its been 2 weeks!

Just so you all know, I did NOT order it direct from Ron (KME).  And, its here today!  :-)
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 05:40:00 PM »
Dan,

You should have got the sharpener long before now!!! Please give me a call ASAP so we can get this taken care of.

Everyone else, Thanks so much for the kind words and support!

P.S. The pre-sharpened heads are just about ready...Shhhh!

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 09:57:00 PM »
RON!!!!!

I order it from elknut, trying to help both you guys out.  He said that he ran out the day I ordered.  

EVERYBODY, I give Ron my full support here.  I actually got my sharpener tonight (knife)  and will post my results on the eclipse 145 gr SB when I'm done.  Sorry for the confusion Ron.

Dan

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2008, 09:08:00 AM »
I own the knife sharpener and it does work great on my 2 blade broadheads. It also works fantastic on all my knives. Ron is a great guy and puts out a quality product.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2008, 11:12:00 AM »
Dan,

Thank you very much!!! I was goin' nuts trying to find your order. I completely forgot (and was relieved to be reminded) that you ordered it from Paul.

BTW, it's not Paul's fault either. The shipment took 10 days to go from here to Idaho! Thanks again,

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 01:35:00 PM »
no worries.  I respect both you guys and understand that sometimes these things take time!  Thanks again.

By the way, All of my broadheads and knives are now way sharper than I've ever had them  (save my helle knife straight from bob, I'm working on it)  I stayed up till midnight last night figuring it out and sharpening everything I have that's been dull for years...

Would a leather strop make them even sharper than the kit can?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©