3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: dacron vs. FF & endless/Flemish ??  (Read 220 times)

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
dacron vs. FF & endless/Flemish ??
« on: August 26, 2008, 10:55:00 AM »
What kind of string and material are you using these days and why.
I had about convinced myself to go back to the ol' Dacron, but discussions on another forum imply that Dacron transmits more handshock ???
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

"short skirts create less drag in the woods..." (Dave Worden)

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: dacron vs. FF & endless/Flemish ??
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 11:30:00 AM »
It does because it has more stretch.  That's alwo why it's a little slower than fast flite.  Because a flemish string is usually twisted more than a continuous loop string, some say that it's more prone to stretching.  Once shot in though, there's very little additional stretch.  I like flemish strings because the full number of strands in the string go around the loops.  Endless loop strings are split to make the loops, thus only half the number of strands in the string go around the loop.  Not as strong as a flemish, IMO.

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 12:40:00 PM »
as i see it there really is no differnce as to flemish or endless loop, there is just personal preference based on real or imagined differences.

Ive heard FF is quieter than dacron but i have also heard the opposite.  For me, I use FF if my bow is built for it.  If it is not, I dont lose sleep over using dacron.

for more information on the the differences and opinions between endless loop and flemish strings here is a link:

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=063445;p=1
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 05:51:00 PM »
On my longbows I prefer to shoot D97 flemish twist on them.Less handshock and the bow feels more solid and not springy like with dacron.I find D97 alot quieter then the old type FF.And D97cost alittle less then other newer materials,it comes in 375' rolls and 1/8# and 1/4# spools.A 12 strand D97 is strong enough for up to a 100# bow,so I make all my strings the same for the same nock fit.I use 12 strands with 2 extra strands in the loops on bows from 50# to 83#.I did play around with endless D97,it shot harder and required to retune my arrows for it.But it was noiser then the flemish D97.Now my older recurves that use only dacron I prefer to spin up an endless loop dacron for it.But like my endless D97 it is real easy to pad the loop ends on an endless string.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 06:17:00 PM »
I use d-97 on everything.I use smaller diameter strings than is possible with dacron.I shoot lighter weight bows so like the performance boost.I also like the way the bow feels and reacts verses a dacron string.I don't own or shoot bows that require dacron for that reason.I use flemish strings because that is what I know how to build.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Ghostman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 07:06:00 PM »
I've used just about all of them including B50, B75, FF, 450, 452X, D97, 8126 and TS1+ for recurves and longbows.

There isn't a "majic" string or string material. Some materials work may better than others but each bow is different. A string material that shoots fast, doesn't stretch and is quiet on one bow may not be the same on another bow.

I've come to prefer D97 especially in a mountain muffler string, 8125 and TS1+.

I can't stand an endless loop string because all I've shot were much louder than flemish strings. All my bows have flemish strings.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©