3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: nock fit??  (Read 325 times)

Offline bailebr3

• Trad Bowhunter
nock fit??
« on: August 24, 2008, 08:00:00 PM »
i have a hoyt gamemaster2 using the string that came with it...the string is broken in pretty good( i shoot every other evening). i shoot xx75 2018s w/ uninocks. i just noticed how tight the nocks are. i can pull the arrow off the string but it pulls the string in towards the bow, then the arrow pops off. is it ok to sand the inside of the arrow nocks?? if so what am i looking for when done?? shouldl i be able to tap the back of the nock and it fall off the string or maybe not that much?? any helpful advice please:)
BRANDON B.
Hoyt Gamemaster II 52# @ 26"
Bear Kodiak Magnum 50# @ 26"

Offline woodslinger

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: nock fit??
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 08:41:00 PM »
I like to sand my nocks so that when I tap the back of the string the arrow will drop off under its own weight. Sandpaper or my wifes emery board is what  iuse to get the job done.
Get up close and personal... hunt traditional

Offline bailebr3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 09:13:00 PM »
what grit would be suitable??
BRANDON B.

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 09:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by bailebr3:
what grit would be suitable??
~ 80-120 grit
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

"short skirts create less drag in the woods..." (Dave Worden)

Offline jhansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 10:59:00 AM »
I use a fine cut file.  I pinch the nock around the file and make a pass or two then check for fit.  If your nocks are that tight I'm surprised you are getting good arrow flight.

John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.

Offline bailebr3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 06:34:00 PM »
well now that i notice it i wasnt getting great flight. i had to do everything exactly right to get good flight.....now i sanded the nocks and it is great!! i think i might have picked up speed
BRANDON B.

Offline jhansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 09:27:00 PM »
You probably did pick up some speed.  I'll bet your bow is quieter too without the nock plucking the string with every shot.   :)  

John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.

Offline bailebr3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 10:01:00 PM »
yep it is quieter!! just tryin every little thing to fine tune on your bow can have big results! thanks guys
BRANDON B.

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 10:11:00 PM »
Brandon, your getting the best advice available when asking questions on this site, but I'd like to add a word of caution for you and any others not familiar with proper nock fit.
 Don't over file the nock. I shoot a multitude of bows and some use the same arrow shaft cut to the same length. At times I have picked up a bow or just taken 2 or 3 bows out to the range to practice with.
 I would usually have to only change point weight in order to be properly set up to shoot.
 The problem arose when I didn't take the time to change nocks when they were maybe just a bit too loose.
 It resulted in a dry fire situation, which was completely my fault for being careless.
 Make sure your nocks are not loose on the string. Really hurts the forearm and a bit embarrassing when someone is watching.
And it can trash the limbs on your bow.
Fred
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline bailebr3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 10:20:00 PM »
thanks bowferd...i sanded the nocks till it takes a lil bit of pressure from my finger to make them fall off the string....i cant actually tap the nock and them fall off under their own weight....i didnt want to ruin my limbs. thanks for your helpful hints...trust me i need them:)

btw how loose do you sand youre nocks??
BRANDON B.

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 10:56:00 PM »
Brandon, you could sand a tad bit more. Like the advice above, with the bow pointing toward the ground, just tap the sting and the arrow should relieve itself from the string, but it should not come off without a tap on the string.
Rather a tad too snug than a tad too loose.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 11:21:00 PM »
on the note of making nocks fit the string, you can also make the string fit the nock by reserving with thinner material.  some people dont like to sand nocks to fit.

you can also use the boiling water trick to resize nocks as well

personally I see nothing wrong with sanding as long as you dont weaken the nock valley and only sand on the snap part
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 11:59:00 AM »
I prefer the boiling water fix, but whatever works for you.  :archer:

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 09:43:00 PM »
The boiling water fix is so much faster and easier than sanding - it's not even funny.

Offline TomMcDonald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 09:48:00 PM »
What's the boiling water fix?

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 10:14:00 PM »
I just boil some water, dip the nock in for 10 seconds or so and then jam a bolt (that happens to be about the same diameter as my string) in the nock for another 5-10 seconds til the plastic cools.  

Then I check the fit - if it's too tight still, I try again (or get a bigger bolt - heh).  If it's too loose, I dip the nock in the water again for 5 seconds or so and pinch it a bit with my fingers.

It takes longer to describe it that it will to get the hang of it.  Anyway, once you do get the hang of it, it's pretty easy to get your nocks to fit your string just like you want them to.

Other guys boil the nocks and stick them right on the string and I imagine that works well enough too.

Anyway - it beats the heck out of sanding the things.

Offline Ybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 10:36:00 PM »
I switched to Accunocks, problem solved.
They work as advertised. Great product.
Steve.

Offline Naphtali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2008, 12:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by GingivitisKahn:
I just boil some water, dip the nock in for 10 seconds or so and then jam a bolt (that happens to be about the same diameter as my string) in the nock for another 5-10 seconds til the plastic cools.  

Then I check the fit - if it's too tight still, I try again (or get a bigger bolt - heh).  If it's too loose, I dip the nock in the water again for 5 seconds or so and pinch it a bit with my fingers.

It takes longer to describe it that it will to get the hang of it.  Anyway, once you do get the hang of it, it's pretty easy to get your nocks to fit your string just like you want them to.

Other guys boil the nocks and stick them right on the string and I imagine that works well enough too.

Anyway - it beats the heck out of sanding the things.
The essence of brilliance: simple and elegant.
It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2008, 06:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by Naphtali:
... simple and elegant.
My wife would agree with half of that anyway.     :bigsmyl:

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 10:10:00 PM »
If using a thinner string I use the flat dental floss to thicken up the serving. Works great.  Tie above your nock point.  Wind flat downward a bit, then back up and tie off above the nock point again. Lasts for months !  No kidding.....just don't but the mint flavored stuff !   ;)
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©