3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tomahawk and my Savannah  (Read 538 times)

Offline buckhorn70

• Trad Bowhunter
Tomahawk and my Savannah
« on: August 27, 2008, 06:15:00 PM »
I just recieved my new Tomahawk bow today and was really excited to get home to shoot it. I bought the bow after alot of research done here and other sites, the bow got alot of great reviews. When I shot the bow I was really disapointed, not that it shot bad but that it did not shoot 400.00 better than my Martin Savannah. Actually I thought my Savannah shot a little better. I really wanted the Tomahawk to be better, but I am not sure it is. These are the only two longbows I have ever shot so I do not have alot to compare to. I am going to list my specs below to see if there is anything I can do to improve the Tomahawk's performance. Thanks for any suggestions.

Martin Savannah...58lbs @ 28"(marked 60lbs @ 28")...54lbs at my 26.5" draw...brace height 6 5/8"...62" bow length

Tomahawk Diamond SS one piece....62lbs @ 28"...57lbs @ my 26.5 DL...brace height 7"...62" bow length

I am curious to see if some of you guys think the spec differences has an effect on the shooting differences on the two bows. I am not trying to bash the Tomahawk bow and I am willing to try a few tweaks to see if I can get the bow shooting a little better. Maybe the 3 pounds of difference has something to do with it.

My arrow by the way is an CE Heritage 250...29 3/4" BOP....100g brass insert with 125g head..total weight 585g. Arrow flies good out of both bows.

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tomahawk and my Savannah
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 07:00:00 PM »
We deal with a lot of different bows and a lot of different shooters. I have told many they should not buy a bow until they shoot it. Do not listen to what others say about one bow being the best. What one guy likes, another may hate. Most who post on this and other sites say the bow they shoot is the best bow made.
And, do not pass judgement on the Tomahawk or any other bow until you shoot it for several weeks. It could be you are not use to the feel of the bow and you have not yet reprogrammed your brain for the way this bow shoots.
I have shot both the Savannah and the Tomahawk, and for me personally, I would pick the Tomahawk over the Savannah. If you give the Tomahawk a chance, I think you will like it a lot.
John

Offline buckhorn70

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 07:28:00 PM »
The Tomahawk Bow is a bueatiful bow, you can look at the bow and tell it is very well made. 3 Rivers gives a 30 day money back gaurentee on thier bows whick I think is very generous on thier part. I am going to shoot the bow for a week or so to give it a fair chance before I make a final judgement. Like I said before there are too many people that like the Tomahawk bow to not give it a fair shake. My Savannah has a set of Mountain Muffler strings on it and the Tomahawk has a pair of muskox wool silencers on it. I do not know if this is making a difference because the Tomahawk seems to have more vibration in it after the shot, but it does hit hard.

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 07:36:00 PM »
Sometimes a change of brace H, or a change of nock H makes the bow dramatically shoot better.
One of my friends had a bow listed in the classified because he did not like it, but after playing with BH and NH it became his favorite bow (for a while)

Good luck,
F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 08:05:00 PM »
I'm sure the Tomahawk is a great bow, but I haven't shot one.  I know the Savannah is a fantastic little long bow, because I have owned two!
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 08:18:00 PM »
Buckhorn, really sorry to hear you aren't totally satisfied with your Tomahawk.
I have a 64" Diamond Series Desert Fox, 55#@28,
so around 52 at my draw.
I raised my brace to 8" and it shoots like a dream.
I'm sure I'll get crucified when I say I like it better than my Black Widow PLV. Granted the Widow is only 46# but the T-Hawk just "feels and shoots better" for me. I've heard some shooters just aren't as comfortable with the low grip of the T-Hawk
Try raising your brace, and I really hope it helps, sounds like to nice of a bow not to shoot for you. I would really love to try an SS, maybe some day...sigh.
John
"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

"I'm not as smart as I look"

quotes by my good friend Clay Miller from Valentine, TX

Offline buckhorn70

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 08:23:00 PM »
I am really not a very experienced traditional shooter, thats why I am posting for suggestions here. Like I said these two bows are the only two longbows I have ever shot. After making this post I realized my Savannah BH may be low......so I moved it up to 7 1/4" and it shoots even better. That being said I am going to play with the BH on the Tomahawk as well. I will post my results.

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 08:44:00 PM »
I really hope it works out for you buckhorn, I know it must be a real disappointment to wait for a special order bow and have it not perform they way you expected or hoped.
I hope I am not partially responsible. Someone, I can't remember who, asked for opinions of the Tomahawk bows some time back and I spouted off and told how much I like mine. If it was you and you followed my recommendation, I feel like c**p.
Don't give up on it too soon, the T-Hawk was my first longbow. Fortunately I have a friend who deals and owns many. I had the opportunity to shoot Fedoras, 21 century, Bear Royal Safari, Treadway, Hill, and Widows.  I never had the opportunity to shoot a T-Hawk though. Until this past February. Sipsy River was here in Ocala at the Florida Trad. Bowhunter Shoot and had a couple in stock. I was permitted to try the bow I now own (Thanks Sipsy River) and bought it on the spot. It felt so different from my recurves and the other longbows I have had the opportunity to shoot I wasn't sure if it would work (but it was so darn pretty I had to have it)
Anyway, it is now my go to bow. Give it a chance and hope it works out for you as well
All the luck to ya'
John
"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

"I'm not as smart as I look"

quotes by my good friend Clay Miller from Valentine, TX

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 08:44:00 PM »
believe it or not inexpensive bows can shoot just as good as the finest custom based on the shooter and many other factors.

recently i have gotten away from customs, (as in sold all my Widows) in favor of older bears and can say that the difference is negligible.  However there are different bows out there of different qualities and lengths and materials and all other things that make a nice bow nice that paly a part in the real or imagined differences one feels when shooting their bow
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 09:15:00 PM »
Buckhorn ,
I bet that its just that you are not use to the bow like others have said give it about 6 weeks or so and see if it starts comming around for you .

Mike
" Live long and prosper "

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 09:41:00 PM »
Buckhorn, try raising your brace to 7.5 in. on the Savanna mine really shot good there, above or below it was o.k. but was great there.
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline buckhorn70

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 09:51:00 PM »
indianalongbowshooter...I did raise it tonight to 7 1/4" and could tell an improvement. I am going to shoot it there a while tommorrow. I may get it up to 7 1/2" and see how it does. Thanks for the tip.

I am also going to raise the BH on the Tomahawk also to see if that makes a difference.

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 12:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by buckhorn70:
indianalongbowshooter...I did raise it tonight to 7 1/4" and could tell an improvement. I am going to shoot it there a while tommorrow. I may get it up to 7 1/2" and see how it does. Thanks for the tip.

I am also going to raise the BH on the Tomahawk also to see if that makes a difference.
I know the recommended brace heights are only "recommendations" but I believe the brace on the Savannah are: 6.25”–7”...this is from their website.

I have a Savannah and love it...started shooting my Kota this spring and thought what did I get myself into.  After two weeks I was shooting it better than my Savannah.  I was after turkeys this spring with the Kota and will hunt with it again.  But I figured with all the practice I did last year learning with the Savannah I owed the bow another fall in the woods, I started shooting it and thought...what have I done.  I'm shooting it great now again, as good as the Kota.  

I have another Kota Kill-um on order but 8 lbs more and I'm looking for a used 60 Lb Savannah down the road also.  

My Kota has a larger grip and was awkward at first...but the Savannah felt small this summer so it's a give and take.  

I've been shooting over 25 years but only two years traditional so I'm new to this also.  I'd give it some time.

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline Swamp Pygmy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 12:16:00 AM »
you are not the first person I've heard specifically mention they liked their savannah better than a tomahawk. I've heard several people say it actually.
South Louisiana Longbow Shooter

The only trophy you'll ever bring home is a good time. The rest is just meat. -SP

Offline Kyodai

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2008, 12:41:00 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when last I saw the Savannah, there was a deeper locator in the grip and more palm swell than the striaghter grip of the T-Hawk, am I right?

That alone could cause the T-Hawk to be shocky, if you are gripping them the same.  The T-hawk might appreciate more heel in the grip, and a lower wrist than the Martin.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind."---Fred Bear

Offline Nake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2008, 01:17:00 PM »
I have a desert fox 62" 65#@28 I run my brace height at 7 3/8 7 1/2 with the nock 1/2" high 700gn arrow shoots nice and smooth

Offline sticknstring_AK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2008, 01:29:00 PM »
T-Hawks like a low-wrist grip on you're bowhand I found out.  Try different grips on you're bowhand.  I found my groups tightened when I switched to a low wrist grip, some call it "heel" on you're grip.

I love my T-Hawk, can't wait to get something with her.

Steve
"PETA=People for the Eating of Tasty Animals" unknown

Offline buckhorn70

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2008, 04:37:00 PM »
Kyodia...I think you are right on the grips. The Savannah seems to have a smaller grip with a bit more palm swell and more of an indicator. The Tomahawk has a flatter grip. I am going to do some more shooting with more heel into the Tomahawk.

Offline Kyodai

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2008, 11:41:00 PM »
Let us know how it turns out!  I've had my eye on one of those T-hawks many times...actually had one in the shopping cart online with my finger hovering over the "checkout" button so to speak.

Congrats on your new bow, and even if you discover it's not for you, then you are one step closer to finding "the one".  Who knows, might even be your Savannah!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind."---Fred Bear

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2008, 08:32:00 AM »
I had to go to about 7 1/2" BH on my Tomahawk to get really good arrow flight,and to quiet it up considerably.
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©