3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Good Luck Elk Hunters  (Read 545 times)

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
Good Luck Elk Hunters
« on: August 28, 2008, 07:38:00 AM »
Well the elk season opens up in a couple days in Colorado and in about 9 days I'll be venturing out to the land that I've only heard about. I already can't sleep thinking about the beauty of the 2-weeks we will be camping in the Colorado mts. Not to mention maybe getting to hear or see that giant "deer".(just kidding elk guys). We believe we are prepared as much as a bunch of rookies can be. If we get lucky enough to harvest one it will be a bonus. Just the experience will be worth the 27 hour drive. Enough said.

Best of luck to all who venture out after these magnificient creatures. Be safe and most of all, enjoy yourself.

I will be keeping a journal of all our daily encounters with pics to boot. I'll try to make it interresting and will post when we return(9-22-08).Thanks to all who gave us advice.

later,

Mike  :archer:
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Good Luck Elk Hunters
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 07:40:00 AM »
Good Luck & happy Hunting...

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 07:51:00 AM »
Good luck Mike!!  I'm off to Montana in a couple of weeks.  Will be my first time elk hunting there.  Should be a fun time. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline m laughlin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 08:50:00 AM »
thanks. good luck back at you.
matt
"what your eyes ain't seen, your hands ain't touched,and your life ain't done ain't always safe for such easy judgement."-C.M. Sackett

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 09:26:00 AM »
I hope each of us keeps a journal of sorts and takes plenty of photos.  Sharing these hunts can help pass the time during less active times.

Shoot straight
ChuckC

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 09:37:00 AM »
Bad decision Mike! You will get addicted to this type of hunting. lol  I hope all your adventures are fulfilling and memorable.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline bbairborne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 09:49:00 AM »
Good Luck to all you early hunters.  I don't leave until the 18th and will finish out the season.  I'll be keeping records and pics.

Offline IDABOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 10:21:00 AM »
I will be taking one of my best friends, who I introduced to Traditional archery last year, on an Idaho Elk hunt. He will be traveling from California and looks forward to hunting with his new Fox recurve. This trip has been planned for a year so even though I tore some cartilage in my knee a couple of weeks ago, the hunt must go on.  I'll have surgery later
Idabow

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 10:25:00 AM »
IDABOW, you should have been a Marine! OOOORAH!!!!Stay hard.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 04:22:00 PM »
Thanks Leatherneck, you have a good hunt too. Whip is enroute to NM for the early season and I'll be there the 15th. Let's fill the memory banks and the freezer!
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 04:36:00 PM »
I am leaving for Colorado tomorrow evening pulling a trailer full of horses, headed for 2 weeks of the most fun you can have with your clothes on.  Looking for some elk, trout fishing, great scenery, a week spent with my son and another week with my friends.  This is the highpoint of my year, the culmination of lots of anticipation, planning and dreaming. Hope everyone has a safe journey and great hunts.

Offline Rick Wiltshire

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 05:01:00 PM »
I leave on the 9th for my first ek hunt - going with another Tradganger that I met on a bear hunt.  I have everything together, all I need is to put up my bow and practice broadheads and I am ready.  Trying not to think about it too much, yeah right.

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 06:54:00 PM »
Ah, but we are LUCKY just to BE elk hunters! Even though I've lived in the heart of elk country for half my long life, I can still fully feel the excitement of those of you who are making a long drive at high cost with limited time to hunt ... this is truly special. I feel pity for rich folk who can and do go anywhere and everywhere all the time to hunt, usually with guides (nothing wrong with that, but the epitome is SOLO) ... as they will never know the very special joys of a hunt of a lifetime! Best luck to you all. And to me. Dave

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 08:15:00 PM »
Best of luck to all,I'll be headed out on the 17th!! Cant wait!!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Goose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2008, 08:41:00 PM »
I blast off in 12 hours for area 161 in Colorado for two weeks.  First time I've hunted this area but going with a guy that has hunted it for years with some pretty good luck. We will see.
Goose
Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2008, 11:20:00 PM »
I agree Dave. To go it DIY and work hard to get that animal you've been planning and practicing and thinking about is more rewarding than being given it on a platter.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2008, 11:27:00 PM »
I hope this isn't turning into how bad guided hunts are!  Good luck guys stick a big one!!!!

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2008, 07:35:00 AM »
This isn't a guided/unguided thread. But we are DIY camping in the mountains at an approved spot. Man I can't wait to listen to just the wilderness while lying in my cot at night. Hoping it will bring me back to my Marine Corp days afield. Can you say 9 more days.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2008, 07:48:00 AM »
Well if im going back to my serivce days we are going to have room service,air force fly boys were spoiled.Leatherneck i hope your going to hold up,and you are going to carry my pack ????
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2008, 09:25:00 AM »
I'm sitting in my "staging area" (hotel lobbby, and looking out the window at the mountains)  After a stop at the grocery store my wife and I will head up top to set up camp in New MExico for the next two weeks, and will hunt Sept 1 -15th.
Am I excited???
YEEEE HAAAWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck to eveyone!  Savor the experience - there is nothing like it anywhere else I have ever been.  And I hope each of you are blessed with at least one close up encounter with a bull elk in rut. What happens after that is up to you.....
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©