3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What kills faster??  (Read 1142 times)

Offline TradPaul

• Trad Bowhunter
What kills faster??
« on: August 28, 2008, 09:55:00 AM »
I have been pondering a certain question that i thought i would run by those more experienced.
Question:
What in your experience kills faster, a double lung shot, or a heart shot.

I read somewhere that the national average for tracking whitetail deer is 40 yards, but why is that? is it due to the animal dying from a heart shot or is it due to the animal being unable to breathe and so lays down and then dies after suffocation and trauma?

Ok so thats the questions, i know it may seem a stupid question, i mean heck they will both get the job done, i was just wondering if there was a best target of choice.

P.
"Dont let whats good, steal you away from whats best"

Offline bbairborne

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What kills faster??
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 10:04:00 AM »
Never studied it too hard but I will say that I have had both the Heart-shot and dbl-lung shot produce similar patterns.  Both down in 20 to 30 yards.  My last whitetail that I took with Training wheels (7 years ago) was a perfect shot at 20 yards and couldn't have hit the heart better if I walked out and inserted by hand.  That buck went about 60 yards on me. In fact, I thought at first I had missed until I saw the arrow buried in the dirt on the opposite side.  Best information I have for you.

--------------------
Stick & String or Cap & Ball
 www.tradrag.com
Longbow: ACS-CX 58@28, GT5575 Traditionals, 2-blade Magnus, 530gr. total weight.

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 10:08:00 AM »
hypovolemic(sp) shock is what kills em, lack of blood/oxygen reaching the brain due to low blood pressure. IMO one kills just as quick as the other.

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 10:30:00 AM »
I've heard where cutting the pulmonary veins which carry oxygenated blood to the left ventricle is a real show-stopper, the BP drops to zero and the deer almost drops over dead, on the spot.

Maybe somebody with a bit more knowledge can add to this, I'm going by memory...
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline AllenR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 11:12:00 AM »
I read an article by a veterinarian several years ago that said that either was quite lethal, but the double lung was slightly faster.

His idea was that a heart shot didn't bleed out quite as fast due to the adrenalin rush.  Whereas the double lung hit bleeds out the pulmonary vein like Old York posted resulting in faster loss of blood pressure.  

In practice, I doubt that it matters at all.  The only consideration being that the lungs are a bigger target and certainly no less lethal.

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 11:21:00 AM »
Ok, I was reading the thread and the only advice i have is that the pulmonary veins do not carry oxygenated blood to the left ventricles but to the left atrium, the atrium then pumps it into the left ventricle... sorry to much time at college to let it pass.... good day
Combo Hunter 46@28

I came from nothing and I brought it with me.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 11:45:00 AM »
Most of the deer I've heart shot make the average go up! Not because they die slower, but they're normally in a panic stricken dead run immediately. It's like they sense something is very wrong and they're gonna get the heck outta there. I've had several run into trees on their death sprint.

IN contrast, I have had a score of double lung hits who actually go back to feeding. They don't even know they're hit! If they do run off, 30-40 yards is tops. To go back to earlier threads, that's why I prefer the pure boradside shot. Double lung hits.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 11:58:00 AM »
My experience is similar to Biggies. Also trapperdave is correct in the what kills assessment. A wounded heart can still pump some blood, punctured lungs don't deliver any oxygen. Like said above, doesn't hurt that the lungs are a much bigger target either.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 11:58:00 AM »
I've heard a heart shot deer can cover some ground due to adrenalin.  I never had a pure heart shot, always a heart lung combo.  My experience is a double lung shot will put them down very quickly though.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline zilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 12:19:00 PM »
Back in the 80's I hit a deer right throught the top of the heart. There was a large vein there and the broadhead  hit it perfect center. It also got part of the heart. The head was a Zwickey Eskimoe w/bleeders.  Deer went 20 yards max and keeled over full stride. I was in a cut hay field and there was a line of blood all the way to the carcass that could be seen in the stubble.
Damn Nice guy

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 12:32:00 PM »
My experience is the same as Biggie's.  Keep in mind, too, that it's pretty easy to hit the lungs without hitting the heart, but given that the front of the lungs sort of surround the heart, a heart shot often catches a piece of the lungs as well.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 12:41:00 PM »
I believe heart shots take longer, or the trail is longer, than lung shot deer.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 12:42:00 PM »
I'll buy Biggie's argument

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 12:49:00 PM »
tuff call

first bow buck I shot thru the heart and he did the death run on impact but only cover 50 yrds..time lapse pretty dang quick

shot another thru the heart from close range the arrow hit the ground like nothing was there making the buck jump...he did the head bob looking at my arrow that had just passed thru his heart than tensed up and fell over

shot another thru the lungs that had no clue of anything walked on by never missed a beat when I shot....stopped a few steps away got weak kneed and fell over

shoot them thru the lungs when they just exhaled and watch how fast the fall over...most likely you'll see it
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2008, 12:53:00 PM »
What Biggie said is what I've noticed.  Most of my heart-shot animals have scalded out of there.  Depending on other factors--did they see me, did I also hit a rib or offside shoulder, etc.--my average lung shot recovery is a bit shorter, some surely due to the fact that they didn't seem to detect any danger.
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2008, 12:56:00 PM »
I've killed 2 deer via a heart shot - neither went more than 40 yards, if that. I've had double-lunged animals go 200 yards.
Jeff
Give me oysters and beer, for dinner every day of the year and I'll feel fine – Jimmy Buffett

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2008, 12:57:00 PM »
ive also heard the double lung is faster, ive heard of animals taking hours to die after a heart shot.  these were large animals though, elk and moose.  maybe it wasnt a great heart shot but if you get them in the lungs then they will suffocate irregardless.
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2008, 12:59:00 PM »
In my experience heart shots travel further.  Doulbe lung for me.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2008, 01:20:00 PM »
look at it this way.

Double lung = both lungs
Heart shot = one or both lungs & the Heart
Liver shot = liver or liver & lung

All 3 shots kill the same, but throw in adrenaline rush and a animal can still fun to the next county.

The Heart shot IMAO would be the top shot for a Bow, cutting both lungs means no oxygen & cutting the Heart means no blood. These 2 things being taken out will take them down quickly, if the game is relaxed and not pushed.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 01:29:00 PM »
I'm sure the heart shot kills faster but sometimes it is accompanied by a very frantic run,so it may travel as far as a lung hit.Occasionally,one may even make it farther.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©