3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Small game with blunts  (Read 922 times)

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
Small game with blunts
« on: August 28, 2008, 03:50:00 PM »
I bought some slip on blunts to attempt to shoot small game with.  These blunts weigh 100 gr.  My field points that I have been shooting with are 125 gr.  Are the blunts good to go by just slipping them over the shaft without a field point or do I need to come up with 25 gr to match the weight that I usually shoot?    Will the 25 gr difference make any noticeable difference?
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Small game with blunts
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 04:01:00 PM »
what kind of arrows?
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 04:14:00 PM »
Don't bother using the rubber blunts on squirrels.  You'll knock them for a loop but not kill them.  I think I had one flip me the bird one time.
  :biglaugh:
Bows, Broadheads & Backstraps

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 04:15:00 PM »
A little off point to your question but I jus gotta say this.
Rubber blunts are less than marginal for small game. Unless you make a head shot everytime, you're gonna be disappointed with the results.
Even judo points lose alot of small game, some of it dragging your arrow off in the process.

To answer your question, I don't think any of us shoot good enough to be able to tell the difference in 25 grains of weight from arrow to arrow.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 04:17:00 PM »
I have used them by themselves,AND with a washer(sorry,I don't remember what size)pushed in the blunt ahead of the wood shaft.

I never could see much differance,but then again,I'm not the greatest shot either.
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 04:27:00 PM »
The only squierrel I ever shot at was with a compound and I got him with a blunt.  That was around 1989.  I believe the blunt was just slipped on the arrow shaft.  

When I lived in Fairbanks I use to hunt hare with a washer behind a field point.  Do you think I would be better off going that route? If not what would you guys suggest?

The remark about the squierrel flipping you off had me laughing.  That was a good one.  

I'm shooting 2016s at 29.5".  50 lb bow @ 28".
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline bbairborne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 05:21:00 PM »
nix the rubber blunts.  no luck with them.  I went to ACE blunts at 125gr. Love them.  Last small game I took was a mountain grouse or two. Smoked them. Also, I have had no trouble retrieving them from my many misses either.      ;)

--------------------
Stick & String or Cap & Ball
 www.tradrag.com
Longbow: ACS-CX 58@28, GT5575 Traditionals, 2-blade Magnus, 530gr. total weight.

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 05:26:00 PM »
cmon guys why no rubber blunts, dont any of you blunt animals for fun

couldnt resist..
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline JStark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 05:37:00 PM »
I like the Magnus blunts, with the bleeder blades.  You can get those in 125 grain, too.
Through education, appreciation;
through appreciation, protection.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 05:46:00 PM »
Ace hex heads seem to do a pretty good job lowering the boom on small game.

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 08:29:00 PM »
VA Bow,  Thats funny   :biglaugh:   i know exactly where your coming from with that one.  Them little suckers are pound for pound the toughest, stubbornest, craziest, critter walking this here planet.  I've rolled several of them w/only a few kills when using a rubber blunt.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline SouthMDShooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 09:14:00 PM »
I now use a wensel woodsman w. a severly pyramided tip and the back edges filed. Terry Green style
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
- Robert Frost

Offline bowzonly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 09:16:00 PM »
I know they are on the expensive side but I really like the SGH from G5. They are shaped like a talon and are awesome on small game.  They also dont bury under the grass so I lose very few of them.

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 10:13:00 PM »
I love to shoot small game and I have never had a problem with blunts or judo's. I dont know why anyone would have a problem killing small game with either. Most of the time I get a pass through with them on rabbits, squirrels and grouse. They never make it far and usually are dead almost instantly.

Offline bbairborne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2008, 11:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by bowzonly:
I know they are on the expensive side but I really like the SGH from G5. They are shaped like a talon and are awesome on small game.  They also dont bury under the grass so I lose very few of them.
My Buddy sho those G5 models last year and did great. I am carrying a couple this year but ACE is still my favorite.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2008, 05:25:00 AM »
You can make these by cutting, or filing the tip flat on a field point.  I cut a cross pattern with my dremel tool and added a washer.  They are real cheap and work really well on rabbits.  The washer makes up the weight you cut off the tip.  Ace Hex blunts are the bomb, if you are going to buy some.

I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2008, 06:27:00 AM »
The Ace Hex heads fit in the quiver, fly like a field point, come in many weights, pass through brush and bunnies, result in fewer broken shafts on impact, and pack a wallop. They are my weapon of choice on small game and stumps. Next in line is a Magnus blunt.

OK, couldn't resist!

Killdeer  :bigsmyl:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2008, 06:37:00 AM »
Jessie, we're talking apples and oranges here..lots of us use "blunts" for small game but not "rubber" blunts.

Killy....I saw on another thread were you said rabbits are too small and toos fast for bows and arrows???????
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2008, 06:51:00 AM »
About once a year, I deliberately lie for my own amusement. It also lets me know who is reading me.  ;)  

Killdeer  :biglaugh:

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2008, 06:54:00 AM »
Oh, rubber blunts are my weapon of choice on milk jugs. I have broken many a shaft with glancing hits on trees and stumps with them, but they are perfect for milk jugs. I think a hex would blow right through a jug.

Killdeer  :campfire:

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©