3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: your closest shot  (Read 1216 times)

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: your closest shot
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2008, 12:42:00 AM »
geez brian!  Did you get to full draw?  No snap shootin there I'm sure! :-)
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2008, 03:23:00 AM »
Whitetail at 4 yds,turkey at 7 yds.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2008, 07:35:00 AM »
Whitetail fawn and doe.  2 yards and 4 yards, respectively.  Standing in thick brush and both deer were walking down the edge of a standing corn field.  Shot them about 10 seconds apart.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2008, 07:59:00 AM »
A small buck walked by me at 9 feet. I was on the ground shooting a 67# Shadow Eclipse longbow and chundoo shaft with a 145 grain Hunter's Head.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2008, 08:09:00 AM »
Originally posted by Brian Krebs:
a black bear that had my left foot in its mouth.
OK - Brian wins! LOL

This reminds me of a game of "hold my beer and watch this!"
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2008, 08:23:00 AM »
4 yards after I watched him rub a cut off tree limb directly under my stand.
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Offline lil jake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2008, 09:01:00 AM »
i shot a doe last year with my 55#bear bow from about 8 yards.
I dont hunt to live, I live to hunt... It's better to be the preditor than the prey

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2008, 09:56:00 AM »
Before portable treestands,I shot a whitetail,straight down beneath me from a maple tree.My "platform" was a limb,sloping at about a 30 degree angle.I'd guess about 12 feet.I shot one antelope at 30 feet.I once let app.30 doe and fawn antelope pass by me at 20 feet,while I hunkered in tall weeds.The buck was last and I had to let him get by to draw and shot him at 40'.I believe antelope have trouble focusing at very close ranges 30' and under,especially if you are in some cover.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2008, 10:00:00 AM »
About 30yds on the only deer I have ever killed on the ground.About 6 yards on hogs.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2008, 10:23:00 AM »
I forgot one that I didn't miss.  I had spent the better part of two hours stalking two giant boar hogs that were feeding in a small meadow surronded by Texas brush. (nasty stuff with lots of stickers)  Anyway I finally got in position behind a tree as the boars fed into the shot lane.  I picked a pig and drew for the shot.  The arrow sailed beautifully over his back at 15 yds.  Man was I pissed that I missed and was having some serious self-talk as I walked down a trail.  

Suddenly on my right the brush was moving and coming right at me.  I took one step back and started to draw.  A nice boar stepped out at 6 ft and took two steps towards me.  He finally saw me in the trail and started to spin away.  I slipped the arrow in right behind the shoulder and took it in the heart.  The shot was no more then 4 ft.

Good thing I didn't think about how far he was probably would have shot under him.  LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline nutmeg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2008, 01:16:00 PM »
Whitetail,6 pt. 6yds. Gail Martin takedown 55#@28". Homemade cedar, Magnus 2bld.125g(nut)
Rich Potter

Offline Jacobm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2008, 01:17:00 PM »
I climbed about 5 feet up a tree to get a better look at a field.  Minutes later a P&Y whitetail walked directly under my feet and stopped.  Good thing his head was down or he would have been looking at my boots. Maybe 5 or 6 feet of arrow flight to impact.  Took 22 hours to find the deer. Forgot to practice at that distance!

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2008, 02:11:00 PM »
Don't know about game, but I was with a friend who took a shot at a running deer during a drive (I know... this was a LONG time ago) and his arrow centered a tree about 25" in front of his bow.  Obviously his arrow didn't even clear his bow and made a heck of a racket when it whacked the bow.  

I shat a small deer that was maybe 5 feet from the tree I was in.  My platform was 7' high.

ChuckC

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2008, 06:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by ChuckC:

I shat a small deer that was maybe 5 feet from the tree I was in.  My platform was 7' high.

ChuckC
Yow!  I bet it took a while to recover from that!

:biglaugh:

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2008, 08:12:00 PM »
White tail, 5 yards 55# Zipper curve.And many, many mosquitos at literally swatting distance.  :bigsmyl:

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2008, 09:52:00 PM »
Running doe whitetail, 4 yards, 48# Widow.  Mostly self-defense since she had been coming straight at me.  Should have let her pass on by...a good buck was on her tail and came through maybe 30 seconds later.  Dang it.

Offline matt schuster

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2008, 10:31:00 PM »
Kevin - don't you know that we kill yearlings not fawns. . lol.  Fawns are what your buddy shoots when he shoots a yearling.    Sounds like you had an exciting morning.

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2008, 04:35:00 AM »
;)   HA!  I forgot that basic rule of thumb Shoe Man.  If it weren't for "yearlings", I'd go hungry sometimes.  It was my first bowkills with a recurve.  Good times for sure!  Now if I could just do it again...

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2008, 08:56:00 AM »
I killed three elk at 3-5 yards.  While elk hunting I shot a mountain lion between the eyes, as he was coming at me; a 3 yard shot.  I took one step and nudged its head with my foot.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2008, 09:29:00 AM »
Very cool thread! Seven yards on the ground at  the 12 pt. whitetail buck in my avatar. 47# Fox longbow. First, and only, big game kill to date.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©