3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: your closest shot  (Read 1217 times)

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: your closest shot
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2008, 11:04:00 AM »
Don't laugh at Woodchuckers coyote, I have shot two huge males that were close to that and a female that was 54#s on a certified scale. I have shot several deer at less that 10 ft. and rabbits at less than a foot from me also have missed them at that close as wel. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2008, 11:08:00 AM »
I shot my best buck yet at about 3 yards standing next to a rather huge cotton wood tree.  He chased a doe right by me.  When she ran by I could literally feel the breeze as she zipped by.  He came in and I drew that stopped him while he looked at me and I let him have it.  80 yards later I found him dead.  
This years turkey was about 4 feet.  But that was with a gun.  A little sneaky sneaky and holding high left his head in tact.

Offline TimDougan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2008, 05:51:00 PM »
Shot my first with a bow on the ground at less than the length of my arrow.I don't think my broadhead at full draw was more than 24inches from the deer. I was a rookie at the time and sitting right next to a deer trail a young doe came running down the trail and stopped right in front of me i was already at full draw talk about a slam dunk. TD.

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2008, 08:18:00 PM »
your NY yotes have to have some wolf in them.  They kill some big dogs up there, though that may be the biggest I've heard of.  

I've killed several hundred here in Wyoming over the years, biggest I've seen maybe went 45lbs.

Now, those yotes I've had close.  like, a few have run me over literally before getting the buckshot.  Most close ones take the 12 gauge at ten or so feet before I let em run me over, for obvious reasons.  But, I never have taken one with a bow  

Thanks for the stories every one!  one more dy and a little nap before the opener!!!

:-)
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline R.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2008, 08:19:00 PM »
A four point White tail at 3 yards. 45# Bear bow.

I was cow calling for elk, and this WT walked up the trail. The "bird in hand" syndrome, you know.

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2008, 08:44:00 PM »
I shot a five pointer last year with my 44# Widow.

He walked by me at maybe 6ft. I didn't even make it to full draw before i let go. I double lunged him with a zwicky eskamo tipped 3555GT.

I think thats the closest one from the ground that i can remember.
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline bowmofo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2008, 09:21:00 PM »
Only if he is a lefty!   :biglaugh:
KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2008, 10:26:00 PM »
The first deer I killed at the age of 13 was a doe at under 5 feet, I was on one side of a downed tree's trunk. She was on the other side.

I've killed to feral/wild boar in self defense. One in full charge at under 3 yards and one as it swung around a tree at me and started to rake my legs with it's tusks.Both died before they could do me any harm. Both were shot with my Marriah Thermal takedown recurve 73#@29" and 2216 Easton Classic shafts tipped with Wensel Woodsman Broadheads.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline 357max

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2008, 10:27:00 PM »
I know your asking about bow kills, but my shortest was with a 44mag on a woodchuck, 6 inches....Messy, very messy! He was crosseyed looking at the end of the revolver.
357max

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2008, 11:02:00 PM »
Wild Pig. Stalked up on 7 of em feeding under a soursap tree here on Guam. 3 ft, yep 3 ft. quartering away went in near side ribs and out the armpit on off side. got liver,lungs and heart. She went about 20 yards and slid down a hill another 100 yards stone dead.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©