3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Razor heads, who uses them? looking for any info  (Read 603 times)

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bear Razor heads, who uses them? looking for any info
« on: August 28, 2008, 09:05:00 PM »
i was looking for a little info on Bear razor heads ( old style ) and wanted to hear from those of you who use them or have used them in the past. i will be using them this year as a couple were gifts from a good friend ( thanks Chuck!! ) and i am trading for a few more. please tell me anything you can about them, tips on how to sharpen, tune to arrows anything at all. i have allways liked them but have never used them as me go to broadhead in the field. please share, thanks,
  Ken
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline pine nut

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Razor heads, who uses them? looking for any info
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 09:17:00 PM »
Hey Ken, I like them and that's what I'll be using this year too.  I put a bit of a chisel point to them with a fine file, sharpen them with a fine file and then use a smooth steel to finish them.  sometimes I have used a whet stone too but many times they have been fine with only a file and the steel.  I find them easy to sharpen.  The first deer I ever killed The arrow broke the neck.  I took the point out from the off side and the bleeder blade was intact. I sharpen the bleeders the same way.  I put a drop of fingernail polish at the rear of the bleeder blades to stop them from rattling or coming loose at the shot.  Be sure if you use the bleeders to seat them in the little groove well.  Hope this helps and good hunting!

Offline pine nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 09:22:00 PM »
I forgot to add that I usually coat the edge with a bit of vaseline to discourage rust.  I'm shooting mine on carbon express 250 50 gr brass inserts and 100 gr broadhead adapters.  They are flying good.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 09:26:00 PM »
Thanks for the info Pine nut. the four i have now on the arrows are sharp as a razor but the ones i have coming in trade i want to learn to sharpen myself. the are all glue on and will be used on woodies.

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 09:29:00 PM »
Hey Ken, I shot my bear in Quebec this spring with one. actually 3 of us did the first week. BowDoc told me they made something like 3 million of them so they must have been (and still are) a great head. Good luck!
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline Tom Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
    • BISON GEAR PACKS
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 10:36:00 PM »
Ken,
 The Bear Razorhead is a time tested broadhead.I have used them quite a bit.I like to use them without the bleeder blade,I have shot them and the flight seems to be the same for me.The bleeder was designed to break off.They were 1st available to public in 1956' that is my favorite year and weas dubbed the BUBBLEHEAD because of bullet type ferrule,it was different in 1957' the ferrule was crimped down and made for better penetration than the.I have killed a Bear & Deer with 56' Razorhead.
   Good Luck with them.

Tom
BISON GEAR PACKS
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=bison%20gear%20packs

TGMM Family of the Bow * PBS * P&Y
 * Massachusetts Bowhunters * NRA
 * Compton Traditional Bowhunters *
 * N.A.H.C. * N.Y.Bowhunters *
  * N.J.Bowhunters *

Offline forrest-hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 10:43:00 PM »
Easy to sharpen (both broadhead and bleeder blade). Be careful when you clean the game if bleeder blade used. The bleeder blade is designed to break off if it hits anything hard.  Be sure to use chisel point. Excellent head.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 10:46:00 PM »
I shot many a deer with them.  We used to modify them sometimes by epoxying Shick injector blades to the bleeders.

Only reason I stopped was the military base we started to hunt had a rubber band test where the blade had to cut a rubber band stretched between nails just holding it by the nock and pushing the arrow.  We found other blades which took less time to sharpen or came sharp out of the box.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Desperado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 11:33:00 PM »
Ken...I use them and my last Pronghorn didn't think much of them! Dropped in 60 yards. Alaska bowhunting products has a very small sharpener for @ $22.95 that works superbly to sharpen them. I highly recommend them, without bleeder blades. They fly like darts out of my Black Widows with Carbon express 250 arrows. Good luck with them...You won't be disappointed at the performance! Excellent gift from your friend! Cotton

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 12:15:00 AM »
I have used them and find them to be the easiest head to file sharpen. They do not keep an edge quite as well as some harder metal heads, but they work fine and are real easy to touch up in the field for the next shot. A little mojo to em too, you will make meat.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 09:40:00 AM »
They fly well,file sharpen easy,and at many garage sales they almost give them away. Many think that because they are old they are no good. Trust me, they are good stuff just like the other guys have said.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 10:35:00 AM »
Ken, I've been using them since 1965 and will this year too.  They are the easiest head out there to sharpen...shaving sharp with a mill file alone.  I can e-mail you how I do it tomorrow....it's simple and very effective, and you don't have to buy any kind of sharpener.  You need a mill file and a belt 8^).

I just bought several dozen of them on auction so am set for quite a while.  

As a point of history,  the Bear Razorhead Machine (yes machine) spit out a Bear Razorhead every five seconds.  So you can imagine how many were made over the years.  Get yourself a copy of the Bear video,  
"Rural Route One...Grayling, Michigan."  It shows a lot of the manufacturing process at the plant.

Offline Trooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 10:46:00 AM »
That's my most main broadhead; and I use the bleeders.
It's not what you kill but how you hunt...

Offline Brent Hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2008, 10:54:00 AM »
Used em on pigs, deer, rabbits kudu, impala, warthogs, ... love em !   Gave away my magnus stingers ( another great head ) to my dad.  Don't forget the ss 145 broadheads that look like 3rd graders built.  I have never been able to get my geenies or my 145s to spin true but they always fly like darts and bring out the blood.  Use and accusharp to sharpen, atleast in the firld and easy to carry in the pack.  I never have used the fingernail polish but will. Great idea ! Bhill

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2008, 11:19:00 AM »
I'm using them!!!!!(but I guess you already figured that LOL)    ;)  

I've got my "Adirondack Arrows" ready to go!!!!!

6 "Joe Skipp" cedars with Bear Razorheads

6 cedars with "hex head" blunts

4 "Flu-Flus" tipped with steel blunts (from Brother Drew)

I'm gonna stuff'em all in my back quiver,grab my old Grizzly and head North!!!!!   :campfire:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2008, 11:38:00 AM »
I've used them for as long as I can remember. Really can't add much to what's been said here. Never had one fail except on rocks when I missed and I always use bleeders. Pass-thrus on deer and bear with no exceptions. I would caution you to spin test the heads carefully, especially if you mount them on screw-in adapters. The indentations that lock the bleeders in place can occasionally cause a little mis-alignment. Just reheat and work with it a little. Hope you like them.                       Grant

Offline BigJohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2008, 05:41:00 PM »
I have 4 I'll trade you for something. I love to trade and also help out a fellow tradganger.
"I gotta go my meds are kicking in"

Offline Danny Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2008, 08:51:00 PM »
Use the Bleeder !!!

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2008, 08:54:00 PM »
thanks for all the advice, man now i am really excited to hunt with these! glad to see i'm with good company.

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2008, 09:04:00 PM »
I too use the Bear "greenie" broadheads.  I have used them with and without the bleeder blades.  I like'em better with the bleeders.  Newer bhs. may have better (harder ?) steel in them but nothing reminds me of my bowhunting past like snapping the bleeder blade in a Bear Razorhead!  Enjoy!
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©