3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadhead injuries?  (Read 1633 times)

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
Broadhead injuries?
« on: August 29, 2008, 07:28:00 PM »
The story on the other thread about the sharpening injury got me thinking....

Anyone have any good stories about people who've had broadhead injuries?

I know a guy who pulled a BH tipped arrow (which was way to short for his draw) off of the shelf and slightly past his hand.  When  he let down the old Bear Razor head melted right through the webbing skin between his thumb and index finger.  Made for a heck of a howling noise and one nasty job to sew up at the ER.

I've personally had a couple close ones when I teaching myself how to sharpen heads back in the day, fortunately only bandaids.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadhead injuries?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 07:34:00 PM »
Another one...

Anyone remember this story in Bowhunter Mag years ago?

A young fellow dropped an arrow from his treestand.  Upon getting down, forgot about it.  The arrow was leaning standing point up against his last step.  He ended up with the head entering through the bottom of his boot and then exiting below his knee cap.

Good things to be aware of.  I can't tell ya how many arrows I've dropped accidentally over the years.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline j yenney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 07:47:00 PM »
I was reading a bowhunting mag. a few weeks ago and read an article by a guy who I have to question his intelligence.

He was turkey hunting and shot a bird, as the bird was flapping around he ran and jumped on it. Must have forgot the broadhead was still in the bird and the arrow went right thru his LOVE HANDLE. Some stitches and I'm sure alot of scare. Turns out he was ok. Bet he doesn't jump on another turkey ever again.  :biglaugh:
j yenney

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 08:52:00 PM »
I personally know a young fella who came to a fence, and had to cross it while he was in the process of sneaking on a deer.

He quietly set his bow over the fence, arrow knocked. The arrow was lifted off the rest by the tall coarse grass, now it points somewhat upwards.

He steps over the fence, pushing down the top wire, so his foot will touch before he lifts the other foot. His pants snag one of the barbs, and he stumbles. The broadhead penetrated his calf, and the blood begins to flow.

It could have been serious if he were alone.

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 09:13:00 PM »
About 25 years ago I was mounting a MA-3 on a POC using a pair of pliers. The BH slipped out of the pliers and into the web between thumb and forefinger on the back of my hand. 12 stiches. Hap

Offline bigbuckmalik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 09:14:00 PM »
Dont forget the other end. A friend of mine tripped while carrying arrows and the nock end somehow ended up stabbin him up through the roof of his mouth.  It was ugly but he is lucky it wasnt a broadhead.     Ed

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 09:56:00 PM »
Bruce will be along shortly I am sure.... He was carrying a box of brand new arrows in the house about waist high. As he went thru a doorway he jammed the end of the box against the door facing/ trim and you know what happened to the six arrows facing him in the box..... He took a Sasquatch two blade in the groin about broadhead deep. Luckily it was a vein and not his femoral artery !

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 10:01:00 PM »
1974...sharpening a Bear Razorhead...holding the arrow in one hand and testing the sharpness with the other...my wife snuck up behind me and jokingly poked me in the ribs....

I ran the head through my left hand...was rushed to the hospital, lost a lot of blood. Stitched me up and lost 1 week of bowseason..still has scars.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 10:49:00 PM »
When I was in my teens, upon removing my bow mounted quiver I dropped it. Then out of pure instict(stupidity) I caught it, with my fingers going inside the hood. Ended up with 6 stiched on my pointer finger and 10 on the middle.

Big Ed
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 10:55:00 PM »
Several years ago a co-worker put his bow on the seat of his stand, Arrow on the string and pointing up.. He then proceeded to take his jacket off, and brought his elbow down on top of the head burying it in his arm.. He was using swaged aluminum shafts and Zwickeys.. One of his comments was in regards to climbing down a tree with an arrow sticking out of your arm.. He then had to walk a quarter mile to the truck. Lucky for him he was hunting on the family farm and only had a short drive for help..
I've been cautious about using glue on heads ever since.
I've got another one about two guys shooting rabbits  out of stacked irrigation pipe, but we'll save that one.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline pintail_drake2004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 01:54:00 AM »
i no longer shoot muzzy cuz everytime i put the 3 blades together i cut my darn thumb! use to put them together in HS study hour. cut my thumb darn near every time i tried. i thought there had to be a better way-i was right...get fixed blades!

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 08:19:00 AM »
about 15 years ago I was hunting at luken's Island with a couple of friends. During mid day we were shooting at a small foam broadhead target. One of my arrows passed through the target an stuck in the root of a pine tree that was behind the target. I went down and reached over behind the target and snatched my arrow out of the root. What I forgot was the other broadheads sticking out the back of the target.What I got was a black dimond Delta to the hilt in my forearm just below my elbow.Still got the scar and have never done it again. Don
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline Blessed One

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 08:42:00 AM »
This would be my vote for the worst. Good thing it was not a 2 blade.

http://picasaweb.google.com/CO.Elkaholic/ManShotInHeadByArrow
Working that Northern Mist Mojo!
Making the transition from one who hunts bows to one who bowhunts!

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 08:56:00 AM »
I got a hand full of Bear razorheads back in the day when Quickie Quivers that didn't have a hood were the rage.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2008, 09:13:00 AM »
My worst was nothing compared to those, but I made the mistake (once) of reaching too far into my quiver to grab an arrow.  I ended up bisecting the tip of my right index finger (cut it to the bone).  It hurt a ton but my buddy and I kept hunting.

Direct pressure and elevation until it stopped bleeding and then direct pressure after that while continuing to still hunt.  I did shoot a couple of arrows two under (got a bloody face) but never did get a shot at a deer that day.  After the hunt, we went to the ER - got stitches and all was well.

:p

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2008, 10:26:00 AM »
Climbed into a low fork of a giant old soft maple a few years back on a nice fall morning. Took out a 2018 with Bear greenhead and touched it up with a file - sharp. Knocked the arrow and hung my bow on a twig, leaned back and got ready to watch the sun rise. A gust of wind blew the arrow off the shelf and out of reflex I caught it as it fell. After many years of carpentry and learning the hard way to let sharp tools fall and then resharpen them, I forgot. Went to the bone at the base of my little finger just below where it attaches to the palm.

I looked at it for a moment, pulled it out and made the call that my hunt for the morning was over. Tight wrap and drive to town for stitches. Still not much feeling in the outside of my left pinky and hard type "a" for a while.

I did learn that what they say about a sharp broad head being almost painless is true. It never did hurt.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2008, 10:50:00 AM »
I was at a family picnic and shooting my new to me recurve(1996) and was shooting into a 2" foam BH target with broadheads. I was talking and explaining to my brothers I was gonna start hunting with one of these. I was so busy talking and not paying attention I laid my hand against the target and pulled the arrow back right along the palm of my hand. 25 stitches and a lot of ribbing later I was back at the picnic. I could not shoot for over a month. Don't let anyone ever tell ya the back of a Zwickey 2 blade isn't sharp! Shawn
Shawn

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2008, 11:53:00 AM »
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline twosheds

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2008, 12:15:00 PM »
About five years ago, I was shooting a compound then with a TM hunter rest and Thunderhead 100 broadheads.  I had a little doe walk under my stand, as I drew on her, I ran one of the blades against my index finger of my left hand. I got the doe but not before I almost blead to death in the tree. I still have a scar.
Bob Lee Hunter Recurve 55# @ 29''

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2008, 01:06:00 PM »
Back in my youth when I was using Wasp or Sattelite broadheads, can't remember which one I was using at the time, I tried to unscrew one from an aluminum arrow. It was on there pretty tight because I used a broadhead wrench, The wrench wasn't handy when I was trying to take it off and I was twisting so hard mt fingers eventually slipped from between the blades and rolled over the edges. I was bleeding pretty bad and went to the bathroom sink so I wouldn't bleed all over the house, my mom would kill me, and I nearly fainted. Remember, I was young. Of course back then, we didn't go to the doctors for nothing, my mom wrapped them with some band-aids. I can still see the scars on my finger and thumb. Valuable exibits for showing my son!
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©