3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadhead injuries?  (Read 1634 times)

Offline TNstickn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadhead injuries?
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2008, 01:11:00 PM »
My Dad told a story about a guy in his twentys breaking into a mans house a couple of doors down from us to steal guns and such. No one knows how, but he got stuck in the gut by a broadhead from the bow he was trying to steal. I was told he bled to death before he could get out of the driveway.
Pick a spot.>>>>-------> Shoot straight.

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2008, 01:32:00 PM »
MANY  moons ago, Bear made a tiny broadhead sharpener, about 4" long, with those hard steel cutting plates set at an angle.

I was trying to re-sharpen my broadhead and I slipped, raking the head's point deep across my index finger joint. It bled through the bandana for most of the day and swelled up about twice its normal size.

A few days later I could see I had cut the tendon/ligament; I cannot point straight with that finger anymore.   :banghead:  

Gotta remember how lethal those broadheads are!
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2008, 01:33:00 PM »
Hate to share the story as it was a VERY humbling experience.  The Lord cared for my family. . .

I was going on a hunting trip. . . had my stuff packed up in the living room to take to the car.  Came back in and my 3 year old son had taken one of the broadheaded arrows out of the arrow box. . .HE WAS JUMPINIG ON THE SOFA WITH IT!!  My heart sank.  I calmly told him to slow down, then HE JUMPED OFF THE SOFA- ARROW IN HAND!!   :scared:    :scared:    "[dntthnk]"  

I slowly reached over and took the arrow from him. . . I was on my knees in prayer for God's kindness and protection.  

What a lesson!!!  Never want to learn it again. . .take it from me young men.  I was 25. . . not as smart and wise as I thought.

Dan
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline david_lewis93

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2008, 01:55:00 PM »
How bout the feller that was showing his wife the neat new bear super sharp while doing a partial draw on his new recurve,his fingers sliped off the string impailing her foot to the floor in the den.Paramedics (bow hunters ) had to un-screw the tip from the shaft before transporting her to the E.R. for stitches,he missed the artery and the rest of deer season too.I belive that was in California in the 80's or so.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2008, 02:05:00 PM »
Yup, thta is exactly what I did frassettor. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2008, 02:25:00 PM »
At about 12 years old, I was with my dad in an archery shop.  Someone was re-fletching some arrows and had stripped the feathers and nocks and put them nock-down into a 5-gallon can of acetone on the floor.  One of the arrows had a 3-blade Bodkin on it, sticking straight up.  Someone asked me to "grab that stool over there" and reach up for something on a high shelf.  When I stepped down, I came down on the broadhead on my right knee.  It slit the knee open and ran along the bone for a couple of inches and came out.  I never even felt it!  When it happened, and someone saw the broadhead come out the other side of my pant leg, they hollered.  I said, "It didn't cut me."  But then we realized what happened.  Praise the Lord, all it took was a bunch of stitches.  It was a hard heal, though, because of the way the 2 blades skinned it real wide at the bone.  It made for a pretty scar...
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2008, 02:31:00 PM »
Hurts doesn't it  Shawn L  :scared:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Users currently browsing this topic: