3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How About A Washer?????  (Read 1410 times)

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
How About A Washer?????
« on: February 25, 2007, 02:33:00 PM »
All of this Bunny Huntin' (and THINKIN' about Bunny Huntin') has got me THINKIN" (look out!!!!!)

For just plain old "simplicity" does anyone just put a plain old round steel washer behind a field point,screw it down tight and go hunting?????

I was playing around in the "hardware" room again   :rolleyes:   and I got some 1/4" inside diamiter,1/2" outside diamiter washers and put them behind some 5/16th 125gr. "bullet points". They look simple,yet deadly,LOL!!!!!

I was thinking (look out!!!!!again) Writers say "the optimum rifle bullet should mushroom to twice the diamiter of the bullet" (i.e. a .30cal. should "mushroom" to .60cal.) I was thinking the bullet point is 5/16th the washer behind it is 1/2 inch.....Ta-Daaa!!!!! An instantly "expanding" Bunny Buster!!!!!    :archer:  

OK.....Maybe I should spend more time "working"    :rolleyes:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How About A Washer?????
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 02:36:00 PM »
I was thinking about the same thing Chuck. I think it woudl work ok.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Shovelbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 02:39:00 PM »
I've used them in the past. Awesome results!
No matter what type of bow is shot, we're all archers.

Offline mbbushman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 02:52:00 PM »
Back when I was in high school and perpetually broke, I couldn't afford Judos, so we used washers and blunts or field points for gophers. Sometimes we'd grind 'em into a star shape for more of a cutting edge. I've killed many gophers that way. Doesn't seem to affect flight much within gopher ranges anyway.

Offline robslifts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 03:01:00 PM »
ive seen a lot of guys weld a washer to the front of their tip but I have never seen them put one behind of it (mainly because most of the guys I hunt with use wood arrows)  but I think it would work great as long as you can keep the tip tight on to it.
St. Joe River Bows

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 03:04:00 PM »
Yep, it works.   :thumbsup:

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 03:04:00 PM »
I was thinking last night that you could take some all thread and screw it in the shaft. The you could places whatever type and size if washers you wanted, even lock washers. Place smaller to larger or larger to smaller to get whatever shape ans weight you desire. Finish it off with a nut for the ultimate nutter!

One could also take a square peice of sheet metal an inch or so square and do the same. You could cut from the corners to the center and the twist with pliers to get whatever size blades you wanted.

Offline LAR43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 03:09:00 PM »
Done it Chuck. Greg had some in his quiver on the BH. Used a 125 gr. field point w/ a washer brazed on about 1/2 way down. Not sure, but I think it was one of them that he blew thru that sapling just before he got the rabbit.
These were glue ons.

I think you'd have to experiment w/ washers, as the shoulder on a screw in point is something like 5/32 or 9/64 in dia. that'd leave you w/ a pretty small washer behind the head.

Larry
Age brings us the priceless gift of experience and knowledge. . . Priceless, but not free.

Offline ROB TAYLOR

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 04:42:00 PM »
Thought I saw a pic around here lately with a wingnut and a machine screw that looked to be run right down into the insert good n tight (what is that...8/32", right?)  I suppose the choice of hardware might be affected by your desired overall head weight..but there's lots of good hardware store choices out there.  Heck, I can spend an hour in the loose hardware aisle at ACE without giving it a thought!
-Rob
>>>--TGMM-Family of the Bow--->

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
- George Orwell

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 05:50:00 PM »
I thought "I" was the only guy to think about archery 365/7/24...Now I can't wait to go through my father-in-laws "stuff" and find some Bunny Ammo!...

..... mike .....

P.S. Hey Chuck!...Did ya find a place for that picture?
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 05:50:00 PM »
The washer behind the field point works awesome.
We have thumped many a grouse with these. Almost a must with the big blue grouse. If you dont thump em they will sometimes fly off. Sometimes with your arrow.

John

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2007, 09:37:00 PM »
The picture is hanging "PROUDLY" in a "Place of Honor" Mike, Thanks Again!!!!!

Offline barebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2007, 05:17:00 AM »
I use stainless steel tooth washers (outside diameter), behind a field point. They work very well because they usually stay in the rabbit allowing for better retrieval.
"Killing an animal is intrinsic to the hunt. It shouldn't be glorified, but conducted with respect and reverence..." - Gene Wensel _ Primal Dreams

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2007, 05:21:00 AM »
I have been toying with the idea of welding a washer with my wire welder to the front of a field point(glue on) with just about a 1/2" of the tip sticking out. I hunted rabbits years ago with a compound my arrows had a penny that i drilled a hole in behind a blunt they were devastating and hard to loose even in deep snow.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2007, 10:26:00 AM »
Stone Knife, you don't say. You know, a few days before the bunny hunt, I was looking at a handful of change and thinking that if I drilled a hole in them and put them behind some points, they'd make awesome bunny slayers...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2007, 01:20:00 PM »
I have just been thinking of CHEAP,quick,easy,ideas for bunny heads.

My "wingnut" idea works GREAT!!!!! But it does take a little while to put them together.

I was just thinking.....It doesn't get much "quicker" than to unscrew a field point,slip on a washer,and screw the point back on. You could have a dozen arrows ready for an "inpromptue" Bunny Hunt in about 10 minutes!!!!!

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2007, 01:28:00 PM »
You know, a wingnut behind the field point would be just as quick to set up...love them wingnuts...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©