3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Permanone experience?  (Read 615 times)

Offline Swamp Pygmy

• Trad Bowhunter
Permanone experience?
« on: August 29, 2008, 10:59:00 PM »
Among tick repellents this seems to be the best product around.

But how well does it really work? Have any of you guys gotten ticks on you through areas you sprayed?

Is it the wonder spray it is claimed to be?
South Louisiana Longbow Shooter

The only trophy you'll ever bring home is a good time. The rest is just meat. -SP

Offline Curtis Haden

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Permanone experience?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 11:12:00 PM »
Been using it for several years. Seems like the pesky little chicks and tiggers are developing some immunity to it though.  Last couple of years, I've had a few get through.  When it first came out, I would regularly brush dead seed ticks off my pants legs, and never get bit.

I still think its the best thing out there, that I've tried anyway...

Remember, its a   clothing treatment only!!!  I don't know what would happen if you put it on your skin a lot, but I'm not taking any chances!
Rose Oak Ace 41@28
Super Shrew Gold 42@28
Black Widow PCH-X 40@28
Toelke Pika 43@28
_ _ _

A subtle play on words is better than a poke in the eye.

Online Magnum in Ms

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 11:12:00 PM »
It has worked very well for me. Turkey season 2 years ago, ticks were bad on our lease. I was getting at least one on me every day. I treated my camo and socks and I had no more problems for the next 2 weeks I was hunting. You can treat 2 sets of closes with one can and is still effective after they are washed.
Every one is ignorant its just on different subjects

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 11:14:00 PM »
It works very well ! However don't trust yer life solely on it. Just one very good precautionary measure among many

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 11:14:00 PM »
I was hunting pheasants one day with a friend of mine and he had it on his pants and I didn't.  Since it was his dog, he was going first through the thick stuff most of the time. I stopped counting at 52 (deer ticks) and he only had one on him.  By that point, it looked like that one had lost his appetite for blood as he seemed to be curling up and dying.  Another time i took a perfectly healthy dog tick and dropped him on my pant leg(didn't mash him into the cloth), he acted like i dropped him on a hot coal.  Dead in a minute at most.
In my experience that stuff is a wonder. The problem is as with most anything in this life, there is no free lunch!  Meaning, god only knows what kind of crazy cancer we'll all have from using it.  But for now unknown cancer beats known lyme disease.

Take care
Nathan
"To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life." RLS

Offline nutmeg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 11:29:00 PM »
It definitely works. But, remember that it is a neurotoxin. Use only as directed.(nut)
Rich Potter

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 11:33:00 PM »
I've got to agree with Nathan.....I've been using the stuff for a few years now.Knock on wood I haven't had a tick on me.

I spray my clothes heavily around the first of october and hang them to air out.Then I give them a light spray again around the beginning/mid november.
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 11:46:00 PM »
Most of what I've seen available now doesn't seem as strong as it used to be. I wish I had an old can around to compare to the new. Still pretty miraculous stuff! CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 12:00:00 AM »
Been using it for almost twenty years...we buy it by the case...its not fool proof, but its the only thing that works for ticks...you still need to dress appropriately...tuck in your shirt cinch up pants legs, etc. I wear it at work and i use the long velcro straps around the bottom of my pants legs. Permithrine kills ticks so they may actually be crawling around on your pants for a minute or two and then fall off. DO NOT SPRAY THIS STUFF ON YOUR SKIN.
You can buy clothes (Bugoff) treated with permithrine, but they cost twice as much and it eventually washes off.

David

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline bbairborne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 12:15:00 AM »
very good stuff. Saves me a lot of scratching and I got Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever once.  Not pleasant at all.

-------------
Stick & String or Cap & Ball
TradRag.com
For Traditional Hunters by Traditional Hunters
Longbow: ACS-CX 58#@28. Arrow: GT5575 Traditional, 100gr. Brass insert, 125 gr. Magnus 2-blade: 530 gr. total.

Offline Swamp Pygmy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 12:55:00 AM »
I'm glad to hear it. I'm about to buy my camo and I'm just going to get a one piece cover all. Spray the suit. And spray the clothes I'll wear under it.

Tucks pant legs into socks. I want to figure a good head net though.

Found one one my head while I was in the shower washing my hair. Not fun. I'm not scared of snakes, spiders, alligators, coyotes, or nothing like that but I run like a pansy from ticks. I did that specifically just a day ago on an overgrown trail. I hate the things.

The only trophy you'll ever bring home is a good time. The rest is just meat. -SP

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 05:43:00 AM »
Permanone works very well but it makes me slightly sick. I guess it's sweat absorbing it from the clothing somehow but every time I use it, I get the green-apple-quick-step. Everytime.
Nothing serious, but I figger if it will do that during one appication, the buildup over the years could be bad news. Ain't worth the risk to me besides, it's more fun to have Jill check me for ticks when I come home :-)
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 07:09:00 AM »
Man Biggie waiting for my coffee to brew,hurricane heading our way but you woke me up and a laugh with that one.The pic going through my mind won't erase easy.Kip

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 08:59:00 AM »
Its worked for me, I've never had a tick on me when using it, but hundreds without it. Very important to read and FOLLOW the directions.

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2008, 09:12:00 AM »
Just had a good chuckle on that one Biggie!
"To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life." RLS

Offline Swamp Pygmy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2008, 11:31:00 AM »
Note to self. Bring extra TP. Not just for blood trails anymore. Check.

Lol. Thanks for the honest tip though. Seriously. Not everyone would admit that and it's worth knowing.

With that advice I'll just spray it on my outer layer and take my chances on the inner layer. I don't want to be concentrating on keeping my cheeks pinched during the shot instead of form.

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2008, 12:01:00 PM »
Definitely let it dry before using.  :readit:

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2008, 12:02:00 PM »
Like many, I picked up on it down in VA and have used it faithfully since.

Since they claim it will last active for 2 weeks and through one clothes machine washing, I figure once it's dry, it is pretty inert to us people types....

Maybe "Biggie" is kinda "buggy?" Sorry ole boy, the devil made me do that one, Mr. Hoffman!"  :)

I am known to forget, then spray and wear the clothes while damp.. that kinda worries me, but as said, not as much as the freakin diseases from biting/sucking insects!

I use it on my head net, clothes, etc. I find it has nearly no odor or smells like air dried clothes when it's dry. I tend to spraya nd let line dry for a good long day before I put it away.

Compared to other treatments guys hunting with me use, I'm convinced it works on skeeters, ticks, and such..watched em crawl up my pant leg 6" and drop off! Just like the lable! Imagine that!  :)
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline nutmeg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2008, 12:05:00 PM »
Pygmy, it's funny what gives us the shivers based on where we live and hunt. Here in CT. ticks are a nightmare. Hell, Lyme disease was discovered here in Lyme, CT. I've had Lyme disease twice. I'm not afraid to venture out in the woods though but the thought of roaming through a Loisianna swamp scares the crap out of me. Maybe it's all of those country swamp songs I've listened to over the years,lol.(nut)
Rich Potter

Offline Swamp Pygmy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2008, 01:39:00 PM »
Yeah it really is funny those kinda things. In these narrow bayous I accidentally run my kayak into the biggest sleeping gators you can imagine. They feel like a 2x4 swatted your butt under the kayak plastic when they take off. I shrug it off but when I saw a giant deer tick hanging off of a weed at shoulder level I took off the other way.  

Trying to convince myself that scouting what trails are active a few weeks before opener really isn't necessary. lol

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©