3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: i keep missing high on game  (Read 594 times)

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
i keep missing high on game
« on: August 30, 2008, 06:03:00 PM »
gday everyone. i'm having lots of trouble trying to hit anything when out hunting. the last dozen shots or so at game i've either missed over the top or wounded them because i hit them to high. i practise daily and i don't seem to do it then. most days i shoot pretty good or at least well enough to gain confidence. come saturday i head out hunting with a sense of confidence. but these past two weekends that has all gone to pot. even yesterday i shot over the top of two boars at 10m!! and lost another also at 10m (hit him high). it's so frustraing to put in so much effort into practise but when it comes to hunting it apparently means nothing. i feel like i'm wasting my time. i'm picking a spot and all feels good on release. i'm even suprised that i miss. but now if i get anything it will probably feel like a fluke. it's so frustrating to be so dedicated to something and get no reward for my efforts. any pointers for me anyone? thanks.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline john1271

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: i keep missing high on game
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 06:07:00 PM »
i had the same problem,when you shoot do you have the bow straight out after you shoot or do you hurry it up and trie to see the arrow flying?
black creek banshe 41#@28 60"god bless and have a red letter day...

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 06:20:00 PM »
Simple answer IMO..... You are not following through after you shoot or holding your focus on a hair. Just as you release the arrow (or a moment before) you must be looking at the whole animal and not "the spot" causing the arrow to go high. I'm no expert but learned this from reading and watching other people shoot.

... mike ...

PS.... Thanks Shawn  :p
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 06:35:00 PM »
Try shooting with a higher elbow, if you were not following thru you would shoot low as ya try and take a peak and drop your bow arm. Your elbow may be too low, raise your elbow a tad and pick a spot good and low on the animal. If ya have been looking center of vitals look at the very bottom of them. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Danny Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 06:46:00 PM »
Good info, !!

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 07:53:00 PM »
On the close shots, cant your bow more. That seems to help me as much as anything.
N/A

Offline Trooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 08:12:00 PM »
I had the same problem at first; missed 8 deer in a row until I learned to pick a spot.  I was shooting at the whole deer.  Once I learned to pick a spot my shots to kill ratio greatly improved.  Pick a spot!!!
It's not what you kill but how you hunt...

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 08:12:00 PM »
I would bet a dollar to a donut your picking your head up trying to see the arrow hit.

Offline Whump

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 08:23:00 PM »
Whump Sez; Gday yourself! I am going to make a guess here and say you are using the instinctive method of shooting? A young and fresh instinctive shooter will shoot high on close shots most of the time, that is where the saying "aim low" came from.  I shot instinctive for many years and had the same problem you describe---shoot good on targets---shoot over game up close or spine shoot them.  I solved my problem from a 50% hit where I am looking to a 98% hit where I am looking by using a point on aiming system up close[10 to 15 meters]you can still use your instinctive system 20 to 35 yds out. You can review the method on the string walking face walking thread on the "shooters forum." I hope this helps.    :wavey:   Hunt safe

Offline JStark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 08:33:00 PM »
Great advice, Whump.  If Whump's or the other folks' comments don't help, consider that you may be drawing back farther from adrenaline.  I swear I pull to my ear when a buck gets in range...
Through education, appreciation;
through appreciation, protection.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 09:27:00 PM »
Join the club, raise you hand if you ever shot over a critter! Its easy to pick a spot and then not concentrate and follow through on that spot. What helps me up close is to use a straight draw instead of a swing draw. I start by holding the bow arm high and "gun barreling" down the arrow and then lower my bow arm as I draw. Try it and practice close targets more.

If I do all my target shooting at 20 yards then my instinctive sight picture or peripheral sight picture or whatever you want to call it or maybe its just body memory, anyway, it shoots the 20 yard shot on auto pilot.

Keep at it, you will get deadly up close.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »
Shoot at taller animals  :biglaugh:  I'd say the same, focus on a smaller spot in the vitals and hold your focus AND bowarm until after the shot. Good luck!
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 09:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by BUFF:
I would bet a dollar to a donut your picking your head up trying to see the arrow hit.
If your not shooting from an elevated stand...I think Buff nailed this one, as the hands tend to follow the eye's...another reason I promote the erect head posistion vs forward and tucked down.
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline Stykbow62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 09:34:00 PM »
I would also aim lower than what I normally do when practicing. The reason is most game animals instinctively crouch at the sound of your bow, thus causing you to hit slightly higher than you normally would on your stationary targets.
Bob Lee Sig. Recurve 15" Riser 56@28"
Quinn Stallion Recurve 60@28"
Roland Jenkins Recurve 54@28"

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2008, 09:38:00 PM »
Or you are "zone shooting". . . looking at the entire shoulder area instead of a spot.  

I had a terrible time keeping focused on a spot with live animals.  I can clean up on targets-even 3-D. . . on live animals I would pick a spot, but by the time I had drawn back I was looking at the entire shoulder.  I just could not get over it.  15 years worth!  Killed a lot of deer but always in the zone area- not a "spot."  Jay Kidwell's book on Sports Psychology helped me solve that-it was a mind/brain issue- not technique.

My 2c
Dan
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline bowmofo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2008, 10:07:00 PM »
use heaver arrows    :biglaugh:  I had that happen I went to small game for a while to get my confidence back now I'd rather hunt small game (go figure)   Think positive & have fun or take up golf    ;)
KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2008, 10:50:00 PM »
I would say that you're not picking a spot.

You eye is naturaly being drawn to the line of his back,which is right where you're shooting.
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2008, 12:30:00 AM »
just got back from my 1st 3d shoot. had a blast! shot well enough to regain some lost confidence. i had one shot that missed high and i think i relise now that i lifted my head to look for the arrow. back to practise this week. look out boars this weekend! thanks everyone. so i'm not the only one that misses. lol
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline 2-BIG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2008, 07:26:00 AM »
When I shoot high it is because I am lifting up my head to see where my arrow hits. When you lift your head up, your bow arm will come up too.
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2008, 10:18:00 AM »
Mate if I shoot high its because I've not picked a spot.

Off track a little but when people shoot firearms at night time they naturally shoot high as well, one has to be taught to shoot low when on a night range.

J Kidwell's book is a top read as well IMHO.

AK.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©