3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Colorado Opening day kills  (Read 251 times)

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
Colorado Opening day kills
« on: August 31, 2008, 12:01:00 AM »
Ok guys where are they at. Somebody has to have one somewhere. Hows was the hunting going? Cmon, I need some info to calm me down. 8 days and counting till I'm there.

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Colorado Opening day kills
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 03:38:00 PM »
Here at 8000-9000' in the San Juan NF, opening day was close to 90 and most elk still up much higher where it's cooler. I hunted hard dark to dark, both sneak hunting through excellent thick cover, and the evening over a reliable waterhole hide, and saw zero elk plus very little fresh sign. Nor is this so unusual. It's usually mid-Sept. before it gets really good and the boys start whistling. Athough many hunters prefer the earlier part of the season, before black powder brings out the pop-guns and ATVs and really let's 'em know they're being hunted, I prefer the last two weeks. It should just be getting started when you arrive. Last night it rained all night and same today, so I slept in. If the elk were many and talking, I'd be out there, but it ain't happening yet. Friends camped higher probably got some snow last night and may again tonight. Not to worry -- they are out there, waiting ...

Offline quackersnacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 04:46:00 PM »
My brother is hunting Colorado this year and will be somewhere up in unit 55 but I don't expect to hear from him till he returns after the season.  I'm hoping to join him next year, as this will be the first time we haven't hunted together in -/+ 20 years.
"Ain't nothin, never just right when ya wants ta do whatcha wants ta do. So ya best just go ahead and do it anyway" -Rancid Crabtree

Offline San Juan Slim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 09:37:00 PM »
I only got out for an afternoon hunt.  At my house at 8000' in the eastern San Juans it was not too hot for this time of year--high of about 70F yesterday.  I hunted at about 11,000'.  It was cool and rainy most of the afternoon.  Where I found many bulls last year, I only found a little fresh sign and no fresh rubs.  Today I had another afternoon hunt planned, but it has been raining solid all day.  We've had almost 1.25 inches in 24 hours--high at 8000' was about 55F.  I bagged it for today.  Maybe next week will be better.

Mike

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 10:09:00 PM »
Saw 6 bulls 2 ok ones and 1 nice 6 good start for the up coming month!

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 10:28:00 PM »
Thanks for the update guys. Good luck.
7-days and counting
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 11:14:00 PM »
Played with a herd of about 40 with an average 5 point acting as the present herd bull.

Bulls seem to be currently bugling if they have cows and you are within their personal space of about 300yrds. or less...otherwise they seem to be sneaking in without bugling.

No kill yet...looking for bigger bulls.

Ray   ;)

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 06:09:00 PM »
Thanks. Keep the updates coming fellows. Thais rookie needs all the help he can get. Can you say 6-days until my 1st elk hunt.  :bigsmyl:

Offline CSUkid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 08:23:00 PM »
I missed a deer a doe near Deckers. College has kept me from practicing and I missed at 25 yards broadside. It was pretty pathetic but I guess that is what I get for partying instead of practicing.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©